4 wheel drive/Tire question NEED HELP ASAP

trailblazin06

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
If I have 245/65/17 on the front and 245/70/17 on the back will this mess up my 4 wheel drives

Old Coot

Jan 2, 2013
Assuming the front and rear differentials have the same gear ratio, the circumference of all tires should be the same. If the profile is different, while you drive with four wheel drive engaged you will have excessive tire wear, excessive driveline strain and I can't imagine the degredation of the fuel consumption. Different profile tires could have the same circumference with different sizes, thus, the profile of different tires are less important than their circumference.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Along this same vein, a co-worker with an '09 almost got sideswiped. He avoided it, but in the process damaged his right front wheel and tire. Insurance paid for a new tire and a reconditioned wheel. We are concerned that with the 4WD system, the LF tire should be replaced. It is the original tire with about 40K miles on it. Does the group think this is enough to warrant petitioning the insurance co. to replace that tire to avoid damage to the vehicle?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
trailblazin06: Old coot's right but allow me to amplify on that. Do not under ANY circumstances engage 4wd on that sort of vehicle. The transfer case clutches won't last 100 yards.

C-ya: Yes, petition the insurance company. You have a valid concern.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
If they balk at it, print this thread and show it to them. It's worked in service shops when they wouldn't do something "right"
:wink:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I just talked to him about this thread and he is going to try to get his normal servicing dealership to write something up for them. Long-time customer with his insurance and first claim, so hopefully they will make his truck whole, as right now 4WD is not available to him.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online