4.2l LL8 Torque Converter to Flexplate Spacing - Mechanical Gospel????

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Georgia
Great Handsome & Beautiful Ones Of The GMT Community!!!!

After some quite exhaustive review of this specific inquiry of $$Torque Converter to Flexplate Tolerance Range,

I Pose This Question To Ye:
(With The Hopeful Inquiry That This Posit Be Perpetually Answered In Finality)

"IS THERE EVER AN EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCE WHERE THIS SPACING BE IN GRAND EXCESS OR LACK OF:
.125"-.1875" ???" @+/-.050

It would seem that this line of question has been made across many forums, many vehicle makes, and many decades of automotive iteration.

Is This Really & Truly The * 1 * Detail That Each & Every Vehicle Platform Has Agreed Upon?????

This Is Mechanical Gospel Writ???? 1/8"-3/16" Targeting Closer To 1/8" For Best Horse Distribution???

I'm Staggered To "Uncover" What Seems To Be A "GOLDEN RULE" That Is Unassuageable????

Warmest Regards

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Georgia
Nobody? How about we narrow the line of question to:

"***Could There EVER Be A Situation Where A 2008 8SWD 4L60E (Or Any 4L60E)
Would Need Not Comply To The 1/8"-3/16" Mandate***" ????

Reactions: 59840Surfer

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've never heard of anyone really checking that except maybe when using a bell housing plate. I think as long as there is some back and forth play to allow for some crank thrust bearing play, I'd call is good. Done many engine and tranny swaps and never really checked the actual Freeplay.

Reactions: 808

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Georgia
I've never heard of anyone really checking that except maybe when using a bell housing plate. I think as long as there is some back and forth play to allow for some crank thrust bearing play, I'd call is good. Done many engine and tranny swaps and never really checked the actual Freeplay.
Thanks Be Ye @Mooseman !!!!

59840Surfer

Apr 19, 2020
Montana
Nobody? How about we narrow the line of question to:

"***Could There EVER Be A Situation Where A 2008 8SWD 4L60E (Or Any 4L60E)
Would Need Not Comply To The 1/8"-3/16" Mandate***" ????
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... I broke my Middle English-To-Modern English Auto-translator, but somehow it appears the person wants to know the tolerance for the clearance of the flexplate to the convertor when the bellhousing is bolted to the engine ... No?

Unless something has gone terribly amiss (the alignment studs are holding the case off the back of the block by an extra 3/4" or so) ---- the only metric would be:

"Just enough to spin the convertor ."

I'd also be looking for any missing cats or small children that might be sruck in betwixt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online