2nd Row Driver side window - Keep up?

Dshow

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hi all,
I have a 2003 TB LT. My kids are grown so I very seldomly use the 2nd row of seats. The window regulator on the driver side, 2nd row of seats, has failed. Since I don't use it, I removed the failed regulator and propped the window up by wedging with a piece of rigid foam between the bottom of the window and the bottom of the door. This foam has sagged so the window is now open about 1/2".

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before. Is there a better way of "locking" the window fully up (without the regulator) other than getting a larger piece of foam?

Thanks!

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Had the exact same situation on my '03 Suburban (rear passenger window). I took a section of clothes hanger and wired the bottom metal portion of the regulator frame that holds the glass to a section of the internal door frame. I created a loop thru holes in the window and door frames and then twisted the ends together to create some positive tension in the wire. Make sure the point where you attach the wire to the door frame structure is as high as possible above the bottom of the window frame; it will be more stable that way. Fix has been in place now about 7-8 years without any problem.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Something I picked up from when I had a 2nd-gen F*** Exploder (which has a habit of going through regulators) was to pick up a rubber doorstop, and wedge it between the window and the door panel.

It might be visible from the outside, if someone were looking for it, but if that doesn't matter to you (and you won't be hearing passenger complaints about the 'ghetto solution')... it's a fix that doesn't cost a lot of money or effort. I found one to be sufficient for the job, and it held the window in place.

I don't know if it'll last 7-8 years (I actually traded it in on the Envoy XL I own now, back in 2015), but it held just fine until I got around to replacing the regulator (at the time, I thought I'd be keeping the Exploder, so I put a bunch of time / effort into reviving her from her past neglectful owners.)

Reactions: Dshow and Mooseman

Dshow

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
The last time I "fixed" it, I removed the door panel and the sheet of plastic/rubber that is attached to the door itself is basically falling apart. The sticky stuff that holds the sheet to the door still works, but the sheet is falling apart. I assume that's to keep any water off the door panel?
What do people do about this? Stick the deteriorating sheet back in there? Just get rid of it? Order a new one and if so, what's it called?

Update: Did a little searching. It's called the water deflector. Looks like I'll be duct taping mine together the best I can... :smile: (FYI - This car is now our 'beater'... Had this been our primary vehicle, I would buy new.)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dshow

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Propped up my window today. The water deflector was beyond repair so I made one our of a trash bag! I think it will serve the purpose.
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online