2009 saab 9-7x crank no start

KeithKoss

Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
Mosinee,Wisconsin
I have a 2009 saab 9-7x that cranks but wont start. I swapped around relays for fuel pump and ecm. and it worked for a few times maybe, then wouldnt start. I bought a relay and replaced and started then wouldnt start next time. Then bought two relays and put in fuel pum and ecm spots and worked than next time no start. With the pump out but connected doesnt run but my meter says there is 12v at fuel pump supply power for 2 seconds when key is turned to acc.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
With the pump out but connected doesnt run but my meter says there is 12v at fuel pump supply power for 2 seconds when key is turned to acc.

Am I to understand that you have the tank dropped and the fuel pump module removed and can measure 12 volt power to the pump and it does not run? If so then you need a new pump.

Or did I misinterpret your post?

KeithKoss

Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
Mosinee,Wisconsin
Am I to understand that you have the tank dropped and the fuel pump module removed and can measure 12 volt power to the pump and it does not run? If so then you need a new pump.

Or did I misinterpret your post?
I read 12volts without connected but when i connect and turn ke the pump doesnt power but the pump does work

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Isnt that a VATS issue, where the computer disables the fuel pump? @Mooseman would know a lot more about this one, I had mine disabled as soon as I bought it!

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Isnt that a VATS issue, where the computer disables the fuel pump? @Mooseman would know a lot more about this one, I had mine disabled as soon as I bought it!

If VATS = Passlock that does not do anything until the key is turned to the START position.

That is the only time the magnet in the ignition cylinder activates the Passlock sensor.

Turning the key to ACC or even the RUN position produces no activity from Passlock.

However, I see this is a Saab and that is another animal alltogether!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If VATS = Passlock that does not do anything until the key is turned to the START position.

That is the only time the magnet in the ignition cylinder activates the Passlock sensor.

Turning the key to ACC or even the RUN position produces no activity from Passlock.

However, I see this is a Saab and that is another animal alltogether!
Thats why I invited @Mooseman in, he knows more about the VATS PASSKEY than I do.

I do think this is PASSKEY related, but I dont know the process to verifying it..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can read 12 volts with it unconnected but when i connect it it doesnt prime
Have you checked that it's 12V using an actual load, like a headlight bulb? A poor connection or ground could make it appear you have 12V using a meter but with anything with a real load, it dies. If that checks out, then I would suspect a bad pump.

VATS will not even allow the starter to crank so I doubt it's that.

@KeithKoss , please try to keep your posts readable, comprehensible and consistent. One post you say the pump doesn't work but another you say it does and they are difficult to read.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I thought Passkey would allow it to crank, but not start because of FuelPump/Injector deactivation?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Passkey or Passlock, it's the same on this platform on how it stops theft. It kills both the fuel pump and the starter. When doing the security relearn, the starter doesn't kick on.

Regardless, it doesn't sound like his problem.

KeithKoss

Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
Mosinee,Wisconsin
Have you checked that it's 12V using an actual load, like a headlight bulb? A poor connection or ground could make it appear you have 12V using a meter but with anything with a real load, it dies. If that checks out, then I would suspect a bad pump.

VATS will not even allow the starter to crank so I doubt it's that.

@KeithKoss , please try to keep your posts readable, comprehensible and consistent. One post you say the pump doesn't work but another you say it does and they are difficult to read.
Sorry. The pump is good. Um i havent tested it under load. I thought grounding also but my only other question atm is why would i be able to put a new relay in three times and it would start. And im not sure if it started when i put relay in each time. I may have pulled it out and put it back in a couple times

Couple times before it would start. But the usualy after 1 to 3 starts truck wouldnt start any longer

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the socket for the pump relay is loose and not making a good contact with one of the pins. Maybe after some current has gone through the pin, the connection goes bad again. Try giving the pins on the relay a little twist. Do that also to the pump fuse. That might just be enough to fix it. You could also try jumping the relay. That will also confirm if the pump is good.

You should also check that the PCM is sending the signal to activate the fuel pump. If it doesn't then it's not happy about something or there's a wiring issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online

No members online now.