2006 trailblazer slow cranking

cthudak

Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Hi, Just switched over from the trailvoy site. My 06 trailblazer I-6 is slow to crank. The battery is only 3 years old (75month napa). I get 12.8 volts, and it drops to 10.2volts during cranking. I jumpered in a second battery to assist the TB battery and it still cranks slow. I cleaned and tightened all the battery connections. I get .1 ohms from the neg cable to the fender ground. Any ideas before I spend money on a new starter? Still has original starter (98k miles). Thanks for the new site, and all the info.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Always, or only when cold?

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
cthudak said:
Temperature doesn't seem to make a difference
Sorry, I was asking about the engine temperature.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
I'd suggest getting the battery load tested just to eliminate it as a factor. The voltage is not necessarily an
indicator of its ability to provide enough current to properly turn over the starter.

Depending on how you jumpered in the second battery, it may still have been getting resistance from the
first battery.

These trucks can be a pain about proper voltage and current.

Could still be the starter/solenoid. I don't think the relay would cause a slow start issue, but it wouldn't hurt
to check for corrosion on the contacts.

Good Luck!

Chris

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Starting to agree with you, sounds like the starter is dragging.

You jumped it and nothing changed, where did you connect the 2nd vehicle?

If you connected the jump to the battery, then the battery probably is ok.

Check the heavy wires to and from the battery and starter, sometimes the connectors become loose/corroded where they should be bonded to the wire. Sometimes you need to look behind the shrink wrap insulator.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Good luck

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online