2006 envoy Denali radiator replacement

Sixpkjoe6

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Hey all,
How hard is it to replace a leaky radiator. Dealer is quoting 1300 and I See online I can get a new radiator for couple hundred.

Sixpkjoe6

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
That is what I thought. He said it was a big job. I have to believe an average mechanical engineer can do the job in a weekend. I what do you think.

Sixpkjoe6

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Any help anyone can provide will be most appreciated. I am also fighting with gmc had my transfer case and front differential replaced under warranty at 75000 and the damn thing crapped out after 1year and 2days only 5000 more miles with one use. dealer side tuff stuff and wouldn't cover went to another and they were able to get gmc to split 50/50 still feel shafted, any ideas how to get gmc to pay for it all.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The only thing that I can think of that would be a game changer, is if the AC system would have to be drained and removed.

I'll check my manuals.

The only thing I see in my '03 service manual, is the 360 (SWB) needs the AC system vacuumed and the refrigerant recovered. Someone who has done it might know if it does actually need to be.

Sixpkjoe6

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Wooluf your awesome. Thanks been searching for stuff online usually 1aauto has good videos but I am finding nothing. Thing is the truck is a dealer and I can't look at the truck right now. I also have the wife factor to convince I can do the job. I will also hit the library tomorrow to see what I can find. I know I am new to forums in general but a big thanks to you and all who are willing to help.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I would definitely look for a local AC shop or mechanic before a dealer.
Let us know how it goes.

Sixpkjoe6

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Doing some more digging it looks like the ac is evolved dam, how big of deal is that. Well I better go to bed lots to deal with tomorrow. Thanks again I owe you something if we figure this out.

Sixpkjoe6

Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
I have the ability to to recover coolant but is it that big of of a deal for an average person with a good tool selection to deal with or should I reconsider in light of this info. Not sure what it all intails auto zone makes it easy sound simple

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I'm sure others will chime in tomorrow, but if you can R/R the AC system, the rest should be doable.
Someone else may have a work around the AC problem.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Sixpkjoe6 said:
Hey all,
How hard is it to replace a leaky radiator. Dealer is quoting 1300 and I See online I can get a new radiator for couple hundred.

That dealer quote would be about right....if you lived north of the border. My replacement was $1416.00, the rad # 15196386 $875.50 plus a $75.00 shipping charge (because it came from the US), labor was 4.1 hours costing $446.90.

I'm curious, what is the radiator costing you? Sounds like your gonna save a lot doing it yourself.

Dec 4, 2011
I used to do this for a living several years (I mean decades) ago. Typically on a Radiator there are 4 connections, 5 if you count the overflow. These are upper and lower radiator hoses (held on by spring clamps) and 2 tranny oil cooler lines (Our trucks have a little circular spring clip that holds the push in oil lines in.

The shroud usually just sits in clips on the radiator bottom so all you need to do is lift it off an push it back towards the engine an inch or so. Besides that there usually a plate or some sort of hold downs on the top. The AC condenser usually sits in front of the rad and doesn't need to be touched since the radiator just lifts straight out once the hoses, fittings and hold downs are removed. Replacement is just the reverse.

I wouldn't save the coolant since this would be an optimal time to change it.

Sorry can't say I have done mine but I will take a look today and if I see something that I missed I will re-post. Again unless there is something I have missed this is a DIY job.

Just checked the Google and came up with this.

orums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=81011

Dec 4, 2011
Just checked my 06 Denali and it looks like the rad is held in by the large rubber mounting block where the hood latch mounts. Be sure to mark the hood latch before removal to facilitate getting it back in the same spot. Otherwise I still think this is very doable. The shroud sits on some clips and I would probably remove the grill so you can see better but that is just some TLC with the push clips.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online