2006 4.2 Long cranking some times

TBgonzo

Original poster
May 23, 2022
central Oregon
Picked up this cream puff 06 184k miles . Every once in a while it will take a crank cycle to start, seems it has to be warmed. Truck runs perfect no CEL, SO the other day while warm I put a fuel pressure gauge on it. Hit the key boom goes to 60 psi fired right up. Then let it sit for an hour, gauge said 20 psi. Hit the key fired right up. Next I let it sit for 20min, gauge dropped to 40 psi and it cranked through a crank cycle and then hit it again and fired and ran perfect. Could a leaky injector dropping that little amount make it hard to start? One crazy thought i had was a faulty coolant temp sensor. I did clean the maf first thing.

On another note AC works great its been hot. I see no condensation dropping on the ground and the drain tube was clear. Thanks in advance.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When you turn the key to RUN to prime the system but don't crank it, does the pressure hold for a while? It shouldn't drop appreciably for a few minutes. If it does, the only way to confirm if it's a leaky injector or the fuel pump is with an injector balance test using a Tech 2 or other advanced scan tool.

BTW, when using the test port on the fuel rail, be VERY CAREFUL to not put any sideways strain on it as it could crack the rail. Ask me how I know.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online