2005 trailblazer ticking sound

Malo

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
i been having this noise for about 4 months now and its driving me crazy 05 trailblazer lt 4wd with 124k miles, it only does it when am in idle or come to stop. Also it started doing it after i change the water pump and fan clutch with auto zone parts " Torqflo/Fan Clutch Part Number: 922498 $199 fan clutch and Duralast New/Water Pump Part Number: AWP-9234 $47.99" it drives me crazy as when it comes on it only last a couple seconds close to a minute so by the time i park the truck and open the hood is gone, i have pin pointed to the front of the truck by the fan clutch. Any one out there with this problem plz help, i also included a video i took of the sound. [video=youtube;tCv27fKmG-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCv27fKmG-Q[/video]

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Malo said:
i been having this noise for about 4 months now and its driving me crazy 05 trailblazer lt 4wd with 124k miles, it only does it when am in idle or come to stop. Also it started doing it after i change the water pump and fan clutch with auto zone parts " Torqflo/Fan Clutch Part Number: 922498 $199 fan clutch and Duralast New/Water Pump Part Number: AWP-9234 $47.99" it drives me crazy as when it comes on it only last a couple seconds close to a minute so by the time i park the truck and open the hood is gone, i have pin pointed to the front of the truck by the fan clutch. Any one out there with this problem plz help, i also included a video i took of the sound. [video=youtube;tCv27fKmG-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCv27fKmG-Q[/video]

This is with the truck OFF, right? Like parked and turned off?

I mean it sounds a bit similar to metal cooling down, but it's a bit loud and way too methodical for that, with an approximate rate of 2hz. I'm feeling something electrical but don't know where to start quite yet, because it sounds to me sort of like a relay or something clicking. Like when the A/C compressor clutch engages/disengages.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Could be a bad fan clutch. That is like the clicking that's been reported over the years from an internal fan clutch valve. Disconnect the fan clutch electrical harness to confirm, or remove relay #45 from the front fuse block and go for a drive. With ambient temps under 80 degrees, you aren't going to need your fan clutch to be powered up full time.

Or it's the AC compressor clutch going in and out of engagement due to gap issues. You should be able to look at the AC compressor clutch if you can only get the hood open and catch it in the act.

Malo

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Naw thats with the truck on aNd it either happens when i come to a stop after driving or when am in idle. As soonest i press on the gas the sound stops or when the sound is happening and i turn off the truck it stops.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Malo said:
Naw thats with the truck on aNd it either happens when i come to a stop after driving or when am in idle. As soonest i press on the gas the sound stops or when the sound is happening and i turn off the truck it stops.

I'd go with The Roadie's troubleshooting advice. Pull the fan relay or wiring harness and test if the problem persists.

Malo

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
So if i take the fuse out and i dont hear the noise then most likelly is the fan clutch right. Would the be something better to do on a warmer day or a colder is -1 out here in illinois right now

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Malo said:
So if i take the fuse out and i dont hear the noise then most likelly is the fan clutch right. Would the be something better to do on a warmer day or a colder is -1 out here in illinois right now

If you're still experiencing this issue in cold weather it could be worth a shot. In fact it'd be best to take advantage of the colder weather as it would minimize the need for the fan to ramp up to full power. The relay in question only runs the clutch, so if removing power makes the noise go away and stay away after testing to your satisfaction, fan clutch is where it's at.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I bought a dorman clutch I believe and it makes that exact noise, albeit much less. I may get a few ticks here and there at times on startup but goes away....yours seems extreme.

NT1078

Mar 24, 2014
Aha! I mentioned this very thing in a different post. I hear the same thing coming from my Envoy, very rhythmic. Sounds like someone playing a cowbell under the hood. Mine is quieter than the OP, I am wondering if the louder it gets, the worse the condition of the fan clutch?

Adam

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
OP has not been back to the site since 03-02-2014 05:10 PM

I consider that disrespectful to ask for advice then go silent. Not even check back.

Unless it's been below zero there for the entire month? :confused:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online