2005 Trailblazer service 4x4/fuel gauge problem

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I have been having a problem with my wife's 2005 Trailblazer and now another problem. First off the gas gauge hasn't worked for quite some time.The other day I was searching online and seen it is a very common problem. I found a post from a guy saying GM will warranty the problem if under 100,000 miles even if warranty is out.I couldn't believe that so I called the dealer and they ran the VIN and sure enough I qualified.Took it in last week and they fixed it at no charge.Well worked for 3 days and quit working again.Called dealer and they said to bring it in next Tuesday. Anyone else having this trouble?
Next my wife went to go to my daughters house this morning and called me and said her service 4 wheel drive soon light came on. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Its not cold or snowy and haven't had it in 4x4 in months.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Go get ur truck scanned to see what codes come up. Are u up to date when it comes to the transfer case fluid change? Supposed to do it every 50k. How bout differentials?? Does it still go in 4wd??

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
silvernclean said:
Go get ur truck scanned to see what codes come up. Are u up to date when it comes to the transfer case fluid change? Supposed to do it every 50k. How bout differentials?? Does it still go in 4wd??

It is still at my daughters house.When she gets home I will see if its going in 4 wheel drive or not.She said the 2 wheel drive is still lit up.Has 71000 miles on it and has not had transfer case fluid changed.Could this be the trouble? Is this something I can change in my garage or is it a big job? Dont even know what fluid it takes or how much.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Auto trak fluid. 2 liters. Only get at gm dealer. Its like $8 or $9 a liter. Yes u can do it yourself. Its in the how-to section.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Also fill out tour info. What year is your tb?? 02 and 03 had a switch prob. May need a new switch if 02 or 03. But ur fluid does need a change.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ha ha. Nvrmnd. 2005 I see now. Duh :banghead: are u sure its ur 4wd light?? Can't remember when stabiltrak was offered.

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
silvernclean said:
Ha ha. Nvrmnd. 2005 I see now. Duh :banghead: are u sure its ur 4wd light?? Can't remember when stabiltrak was offered.

I filled out my info.Sorry about that. Yea,I looked in the owners manual and it is the service four-wheel drive warning light.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
We need to find out if the 4wd goes in b4 anything else is said. . I am sure the roadie who knows everything will chime in also about ur issue. (He does know everything lol)

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
silvernclean said:
We need to find out if the 4wd goes in b4 anything else is said. . I am sure the roadie who knows everything will chime in also about ur issue. (He does know everything lol)

I will try it later as soon as she gets home.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Here's a flowchart from a sister site of ours that has a short list of things to listen for on the 4WD system: Offroadtb.com Diagnosing the 4WD System

If the "Service 4WD" light comes up on the dash, tell us what you observe on the 4WD mode switch when you first turn the ignition on. Do all the lights flash (that's the lamp test)? Next, do any of the mode lights light up? Does it change mode at all when you turn from 2HI to A4WD? Any motor noises under the vehicle? DOes the 2HI light stay steady or flash? Does the A4WD light come on steady or flash? We can tell a lot about the system by those observations, if you can be precise about them.

It's a good idea to exercise the 4WD system at least once a month to make sure if it fails, it's at a time you don't need it. And running the switch from end to end a few dozen times can also clean up oxidation that can cause your symptoms.

On the gas gauge issue - the dealer, of course, owes you a competent and complete repair. Some can't manage that, but it's impossible for us on the forum to diagnose it without more data. But MANY, MANY members have had the sender fail over time, and a few also have the stepper motor that drives the gauge needle on the dash fail. And sometimes it's corroded wiring down near the sender on top of the tank.

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
the roadie said:
Here's a flowchart from a sister site of ours that has a short list of things to listen for on the 4WD system: Offroadtb.com Diagnosing the 4WD System

If the "Service 4WD" light comes up on the dash, tell us what you observe on the 4WD mode switch when you first turn the ignition on. Do all the lights flash (that's the lamp test)? Next, do any of the mode lights light up? Does it change mode at all when you turn from 2HI to A4WD? Any motor noises under the vehicle? DOes the 2HI light stay steady or flash? Does the A4WD light come on steady or flash? We can tell a lot about the system by those observations, if you can be precise about them.

It's a good idea to exercise the 4WD system at least once a month to make sure if it fails, it's at a time you don't need it. And running the switch from end to end a few dozen times can also clean up oxidation that can cause your symptoms.

On the gas gauge issue - the dealer, of course, owes you a competent and complete repair. Some can't manage that, but it's impossible for us on the forum to diagnose it without more data. But MANY, MANY members have had the sender fail over time, and a few also have the stepper motor that drives the gauge needle on the dash fail. And sometimes it's corroded wiring down near the sender on top of the tank.

When I check to see if its going into 4wheel drive should I have engine running or just the key on?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
ymurf said:
When I check to see if its going into 4wheel drive should I have engine running or just the key on?

U can hear the 4wd goin in and out with the ignition in the "on" position.

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Ok guys, My wife just got home..I turned the key on and all lights came on before the 2wd light stayed lit by itself.So that's good..Then I went to all wheel drive and I heard it switch and that light lit up.Went to 4 high and heard it switch and it lit up.Put car in neutral and went to 2 low and heard it change and it lit up. Went one at a time back to 2 high and everything sounds and looks normal..Any ideas why the light could be on?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Mmmm. So u heard the clunk...clunk...spiiiiin noise. Maybe pull ur 4wd drive fuse in the bcm and see if ur light goes out. Fuse 48.

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
silvernclean said:
Sorry. The bcm is the fuse box under the rear seat.

Thanks,That narrows it down..lol..Just pull fuse and put it right back in?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
There is another way..but guys don't do it usually cuz it resets the memory in the pcm. (Which any saved code that was thrown will be deleted) U could disconnect the battery for about a half hour. But its up to u.

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
silvernclean said:
There is another way..but guys don't do it usually cuz it resets the memory in the pcm. (Which any saved code that was thrown will be deleted) U could disconnect the battery for about a half hour. But its up to u.

I have a good friend that has a garage and said he would hook his scanner up to it and see what codes it throws,,I just took it down the road and after about 100 yards the warning light came on.When I got back in the driveway I tried switching to 4x4 and all went in ok except I couldn't get it to go into 4 low.light just Just flashed. So I put it back into 2 high and parked it.Turned it off and turned key on again and tried 4 low and it went in.But then didn't want to come out.I had to start it and pull up a little and tried and got it to switch back to 2 high. Just figured some times its hard to go into 4 low..Guess I will just wait till tomorrow and check the codes.What do you guys think?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Well mines the same when its going into 4-lo. Have to kinda roll it a lil to get the gears to line up to go in or out.

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Everything seems to be working right so I guess I will drive it to my buddy's tomorrow to have him scan it.He is only 3 miles from me.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If the switch is flaky or oxidized, try turning it from end to end a few dozen times. If the switch or the wiring goes open intermittently, then the TCCM (transfer case control module) will fail a diagnostic but that ends up with you unable to select what mode to go into. When the TCCM fails to communicate to the PCM, as the early 2002 TCCMs with a design flaw did a lot of, the Service 4WD light comes up and a good scanner can read that code.

A dying encoder motor or gummed up transfer case due to low or no fluid would just fail to move from 2HI to A4WD mode then the lights on the SWITCH would flash.

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Just got back from running the codes.He first checked transfer case and came back with no codes.So he checked the history codes..The first one is what he thinks is the problem.It is code C0300-Rear prop shaft signal circuit malfunction.
Next two codes he thinks are old stored codes cause check engine light isn't on.First one is C0201-Anti lock enable relay contact circuit.
Next is B2961-key in ignition circuit malfunction.
My buddy thinks the first code has to do with the speed sensor throwing that light???
What do you guys think is the problem.I appreciate any help on this.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I agree. The sensors almost NEVER go bad, but the connectors and wiring is out there exposed to mud and road salt and can get flaky very easily. There are two speed sensors on the tailpiece of the transfer case, one for the 4WD function and the other being the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and one on the front for the front propshaft.

View attachment 20339

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 75

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
the roadie said:
I agree. The sensors almost NEVER go bad, but the connectors and wiring is out there exposed to mud and road salt and can get flaky very easily. There are two speed sensors on the tailpiece of the transfer case, one for the 4WD function and the other being the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and one on the front for the front propshaft.

View attachment 6036

So what do you suggest, Get some electric contact cleaner or something else and unplug the sensor and clean contacts and check wiring??What should I do?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Well u could check the sensor and look for corrosion. Anything woul help.

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Well guys,I took wife's Trailblazer back to dealer cause the warranty gas gauge problem they fixed last week, They replaced a sensor or something in the tank. only worked for a few days. They call me today and try to tell me that since it was working when it left that it was going to be a 50/50 deal.I had to pay half for the fix again..I kept my cool and said just put it back together and I will come get it.I said nobody told me that and don't they stand behind there work longer than three days? He said since nobody had told me that, He would see if maby a wire came loose..Then a couple hours later he calls me and says it needs a $400 gauge cluster to fix it. I said just put it back together and don't fix anything.Now I don't trust them and that 4wheel drive light never came on till after they fixed it the first time..What do you guys think?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
He's prolly talkin about a stepper motor that works the needle on the gauge. Ask him if its made of gold... but sounds shitty. I am sure if u find a tb at a salvage yard u could scrounge one up there.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Or take it to another stealership somewhere or another garge could maybe put in a used cluster from another tb.

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
the roadie said:
Or if you can solder, you can fix it yourself for $20. What's the exact behavior of the gauge needle? When the ignition's off where does it sit?

When you shut it off it generally goes to empty but she said on occasion it stops at other spots. When you start it some times the needle points straight down or full or half.Each time it seems to be different..It did seem to work for a few days after they dropped the tank and fixed something in there but now they are telling me I need a new cluster..So this can be fixed as a do it yourself?? Could this be why my 4wheel drive warning light is on or since the code came back with the scan is it just a coincidence?

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
the roadie said:
Everything you seek is in the thread. :yes:

Please tell me you were asking about which new stepper you need to buy, not which place in your gauge cluster needs the new one installed. :raspberry:

LOL..Yes I know the fuel gauge one but was wondering if you knew the pat number and where to buy one? Dealer?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ymurf said:
...was wondering if you knew the pat number
Yes.
and where to buy one?
Yes again.
Oh, god no. Then how could they sucker people into paying full price for new or rebuilt entire gauge clusters.

I hate to be snarky, but your answer has been posted. This comic is relevant, and it's been a favorite of mine for years. You're going to kick yourself when you follow the bread crumb trail.

View attachment 20411

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 6

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
the roadie said:
Yes.Yes again.Oh, god no. Then how could they sucker people into paying full price for new or rebuilt entire gauge clusters.

I hate to be snarky, but your answer has been posted. This comic is relevant, and it's been a favorite of mine for years. You're going to kick yourself when you follow the bread crumb trail.

View attachment 6141

I feel like your talking in riddles..LOL..I assume by the link you gave me that all the stepper motors are the same part #? But there are 3 different part numbers listed on that post.So any of them will work? And I assume by the thread Ebay is the place to get them?? Am I getting warm?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ymurf said:
I feel like your talking in riddles.
No, I'm just asking that you read the ENTIRE thread.
But there are 3 different part numbers listed on that post.
Post #4 says:

Thought that I'd point out that the XC5168 motors are the oldest ones, and the ones that seem
to have most of the problems.

The newer ones are the X25168 motors. When I replaced my steppers, these are the ones I used,
and so far they're doing nicely.

Now, as FFMikeM has pointed out, there are even newer motors, # X27168.
So any of them will work?
No, the older ones are the very ones that fail! View attachment 20421
And I assume by the thread Ebay is the place to get them?? Am I getting warm?
View attachment 20422

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 36

ymurf

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I will be ordering one this week from ebay.Very inexpensive part to be charging $400 by the dealer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online