2005 gmc envoy engine ticking and burning oil

KostikaEnvoy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I have a 2005 GMC ENVOY XL DENALI and i realy like that car. and i did research and for some reason i can not find any of those engines in canada at all. could some one please give what would be the best thing to do for me with that engine rebuild it ? where can i buy pistons, rods, bearings, lifters? or to swap it with the 6litre? or if any other engines such as sierra, avalanche will fit ? thanks guys will really appriciate that

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
KostikaEnvoy said:
I have a 2005 GMC ENVOY XL DENALI and i realy like that car. and i did research and for some reason i can not find any of those engines in canada at all. could some one please give what would be the best thing to do for me with that engine rebuild it ? where can i buy pistons, rods, bearings, lifters? or to swap it with the 6litre? or if any other engines such as sierra, avalanche will fit ? thanks guys will really appriciate that

The 5.3 engine in the Trailblazer/Envoy vehicles is an Aluminum Block version of the Iron Block 5.3 in the full size Trucks, The 6.0 will fit in there, not sure if it will be compatible with the computer and wiring.

Starting in 2005, the 5.3 included a system called "Displacement on Demand" (DOD) in later years it was called "Active Fuel Management" (AFM).
This system utilizes solenoid controlled lifters on 4 of the 8 cylinders to Deactivate them by PCM control under decreased load conditions.

These lifters can fail and stay collapsed which usually causes a tick.

There are other failures that cause engine noises and unfortunately the 5.3 has a history of extreme oil usage that can cause severe engine damage when not monitored closely.

A replacement engine is risky because of these common issues.
Please provide maintenance history on the vehicle to help with advice.

Have you diagnosed the problem? Did the oil go too low and damage the lower end or are you experiencing a lifter failure tick at the valve train?
Some have replaced the bad DOD lifters (expensive parts) and had success with the repair. Extreme oil usage is usually a combination of a defective Driver side Valve Cover and sticky Piston Rings.

Good luck with this and hope you get it back on the road.

KostikaEnvoy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hey I will be honest it doesnt look like the bottom end was demage it sound soft ticking and when the rpm goes up it makes stronger noise. sorry i do not have the maintenance records because i bought the car like that from my uncle for $1300 he said you can have it instead of scrapping it. the engine goes throw oil and also it works kinda only on 7 or 6 cyl not realy sure didnt diagnose the problem 100% but my uncle went 3 places dealer, and 2 private mechanics and the dealer said its broken rod haha which is not, and the other two mechanics said the engine is gone but it works and drives so not sure maybe the catalytics are plugged also thinking of just rebuilding it bored the cylinders out andd like to swap with 6.0l but not sure with the ecm and wiring

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online