2003 Trailblazer Shift Knob Loose

Old Coot

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
The Trailblazer that we bought on New Year's Eve 2012 has a loose gear shift knob. Anyone have anytips on how to resolve the problem?

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Grab an allan wrench crouch down and tighten it. Takes ten seconds.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
had the same problem on my 03 and 09.
there is a set srew. IIRC T-15 torx.
after having to tighten it every so often, i finally put a drop of super glue on the thread of the set screw.
has not come loose since.

ShadowClutch

Sep 5, 2012
Be careful not to over-tighten it as it will push its collar through the handle and will no longer be useful for tightening.

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
ShadowClutch said:
Be careful not to over-tighten it as it will push its collar through the handle and will no longer be useful for tightening.

How did you know that. lol

ShadowClutch

Sep 5, 2012
Menthol said:
How did you know that. lol

Installed the Black/black knob. Didn't tighten it enough the first time. The mistake I made was tightening it with a ratchet that translates minimal effort into a bit more torque. Once the torx bit contacts the shaft, it won't budge anymore, so instead, the threaded collar shreds right through the plastic. I'll snap some pics tomorrow and post for reference...

jrshirey

Jan 29, 2018
Wacousta, MI
What size is the set screw? I just bought a used Trailblazer and that screw is totally missing, so I can't just tighten it up. Is there anything special about it (eg, a nipple on the end)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online