2003 trailblazer ext wont move when engaged in drive or reverse

2003trailext

Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
was driving on freeway when heard a lil noise and trailblazer was no longer accelerating. so we pulled over and got towed. weather is crazy so havent had a chance to look at it.

owned vehicle for about a month
2003 trailblazer ext 203000 miles
transmission fluid was replaced 1k ago with rear differential fluid.

weather hasnt really permitted for me to do transfer case and front diff fluid yet.

blazer shifter knob moves through all gears. dash selector moves, and it seems like you can feel transmission move through the gears.
but blazer will not move. it can be pushed in neutral. also tried 4w hi no movement. im thinking maybe transfer case toke a crap on me?

any ideas and or advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Sounds like the transfer case to me, or maybe part of the linkage between the transmission's gears and the input on the transfer case, though leaning toward the former. One easy test (there may be more tests) would be to put the transmission in Park, and attempt to push the vehicle. If it rolls like it's in neutral, there's definitely linkage broken somewhere between the transmission and TC.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Also, you have no forward gears at all? I was also thinking maybe the sun shell went, but usually it leaves 1st and 3rd gear intact (not always the case though)

2003trailext

Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
IllogicTC said:
Also, you have no forward gears at all? I was also thinking maybe the sun shell went, but usually it leaves 1st and 3rd gear intact (not always the case though)

well honestly i havent tried 123 just D and R. I will try and run out in this snow storm at some point to see if it moves in 1 or 3. no drive or reverse as previously stated though. car doesn move in park from what i recall cause when its in drive or neutral it moves foward a lil do to small incline. thanks

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
2003trailext said:
transmission fluid was replaced 1k ago with rear differential fluid.

I assume you meant that both the transmission and rear diff fluids were replaced at the same time and not that the transmission fluid was replaced WITH gear oil :tongue:

What was the condition of the trans fluid you removed? Is it currently full? Any idea about the maintenance history from the previous owner(s)? The transfer case fluid should have been replaced three times by now (50K interval) but failure to do so usually manifests in non-functional 4wd rather than a random mechanical failure at cruise.

There are several threads in the "Drivetrain" section about similar problems and diagnostics so I'd recommend searching through there a bit. It could be as simple as having the wrong filter installed when you replaced the fluid or low fluid level. Not to scare you but the last time someone lost all gears at cruise it was a failed transmission pump :lipsrsealed:

2003trailext

Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
from the searching i have done. it seems like it could be transfer case or failed transmission pump. again from what i read with people with similar problem one was the transfer case and one was transmission pump. im really hoping it is the transfer case as it is a easier fix then the transmission pump. thanks and i will continue to search on this issue. been searching since last night.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome. Even if you have to pay a shop to do it, getting the transfer case and both diffs done after a purchase is critical. It would have been best to have a pre-purchase inspection check these things before you settle on a price, because the TC fluid change interval is a surprisingly short 50K miles, and running it with old or low fluid can kill the clutches. But that usually kills off the 4WD functionality - not kill the pass-through operation in 2HI mode.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
the roadie said:
Welcome. Even if you have to pay a shop to do it, getting the transfer case and both diffs done after a purchase is critical. It would have been best to have a pre-purchase inspection check these things before you settle on a price, because the TC fluid change interval is a surprisingly short 50K miles, and running it with old or low fluid can kill the clutches. But that usually kills off the 4WD functionality - not kill the pass-through operation in 2HI mode.

Even if the fluid is pretty well gone? :undecided:

2003trailext

Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
ok so went out and played in the snow lol.

transfer case motor switches thru all the drives except 4lo which it hasnt since i got it. i can feel it engaging

i think it might be the transmission pump.:lipsrsealed: do to the excess fluid on dipstick after warmed up. as soon as i pull the dipstick it its dripping with trans fluid. also when i stepped on the gas and off it cut off. it did it like twice and other times idle lowed for a second.

so i guess i will be replacing transmission. hopefully i can find me a cheap low mile one:mad:

well after further reading. it appears i can just get the pump replaced? but i also read that the pump sometimes fail because of torque convertor? so is this a good time to replace both?

thanks

mary B

Jun 22, 2016
Picayune, ms
Did u find out what it was. I have a 04 Chevy trailblazer 4wd with the straight 6 in it. An I was going down the road about 45 MPh an it made a nose an then wouldn't mo e just revs up in all gears I put it in. U have any luck with yours? ?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Mary... Is it possible that your Shifter Cable Broke.. .and the Transmission is just stuck in Neutral?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online

No members online now.