2003 Envoy XL with a fuel leak

donniegood

Original poster
Member
Apr 16, 2012
6
I have the known fuel leak and am well over the miles allowed for repair and GM has said they cannot cover any of it. I know its near impossible to diagnose via the internet but I have some questions. My dealer stated it would be about 400 to replace the Sending unit, is this what goes bad usually or is it the whole pump and lines? How likely is it that the actual tank has corrosion and will need replaced
 

BRomanJr

Member
Dec 9, 2011
371
There are (2) fuel leak problems addressed with (2) different Bulletins.
One is for accelerated corrosion of the fuel pump module and/or pipes.
The second is for cracked Fill Pipe nipple on plastic XL fuel tanks.

You did not state your mileage, but you are probably over for both if you are for the one.

The cracked fill pipe is easy to spot immediately after filling with fuel, there will be wetness (fuel) at the rear of the tank below the large hose connection nipple.

The fuel pump module corrosion can leak at almost any time depending on what is corroded, but will be wet near the center of the tank. It is possible for the Pump Module retaining ring and retaining tabs on the plastic tank to be corroded and causing a leak.

FYI - I repaired the cracked fill neck on my tank with multiple applications of a Plastic Super Glue purchased at an Auto Parts store.
 

donniegood

Original poster
Member
Apr 16, 2012
6
BRomanJr said:
There are (2) fuel leak problems addressed with (2) different Bulletins.
One is for accelerated corrosion of the fuel pump module and/or pipes.
The second is for cracked Fill Pipe nipple on plastic XL fuel tanks.

You did not state your mileage, but you are probably over for both if you are for the one.

The cracked fill pipe is easy to spot immediately after filling with fuel, there will be wetness (fuel) at the rear of the tank below the large hose connection nipple.

The fuel pump module corrosion can leak at almost any time depending on what is corroded, but will be wet near the center of the tank. It is possible for the Pump Module retaining ring and retaining tabs on the plastic tank to be corroded and causing a leak.

FYI - I repaired the cracked fill neck on my tank with multiple applications of a Plastic Super Glue purchased at an Auto Parts store.

251k miles. Its not when filling its any other time after driving. dealer said its corroded fuel sending unit not full pump... they haven't seen it in person they just said thats what they always see so they quoted me the price for that
 

BRomanJr

Member
Dec 9, 2011
371
donniegood said:
251k miles. Its not when filling its any other time after driving. dealer said its corroded fuel sending unit not full pump... they haven't seen it in person they just said thats what they always see so they quoted me the price for that

In most cases, you can change the Fuel Pump by itself or the Fuel level sensor by itself (provided you can find the correct part), but not the Module housing only

If the pump module has never been changed, replace the entire module with ACDelco or Delphi brand.
 

donniegood

Original poster
Member
Apr 16, 2012
6
BRomanJr said:
In most cases, you can change the Fuel Pump by itself or the Fuel level sensor by itself (provided you can find the correct part), but not the Module housing only

If the pump module has never been changed, replace the entire module with ACDelco or Delphi brand.

Lol yer only right over in howell come on up and help me drop this tank :wink: Honestly going to take it to the dealer in jackson (Grandfather retired from there) I get a good discount and a credit account so I don't have to pay right now
 

MacMan

Member
Mar 3, 2012
194
I'd keep hounding the dealer AND GM. I have read on the "other" forum in the past that they will cover the tank replacement on almost any year IF you hound them enough.
 

donniegood

Original poster
Member
Apr 16, 2012
6
MacMan said:
I'd keep hounding the dealer AND GM. I have read on the "other" forum in the past that they will cover the tank replacement on almost any year IF you hound them enough.

Yea I am gonna try but the reason they said they wont cover the work is not the year or time because i am within there however i am 100k over the extended coverage part lol
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
At 250K, I'm surprised your pony allows you to ride its back at all. :wink: GM really doesn't owe you anything much that far out. But you understand.
 

donniegood

Original poster
Member
Apr 16, 2012
6
the roadie said:
At 250K, I'm surprised your pony allows you to ride its back at all. :wink: GM really doesn't owe you anything much that far out. But you understand.

Yea I have been around the dealership my whole life and best friend is a mechanic so I get it. I actually just bought it with 251k lol. Paid 3000 for it and most everything else is in great condition one dent on the back passenger door. Motor work overall shouldnt be that bad to slowly rebuild whatever goes wrong (knock on wood)
 

91RS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
105
donniegood said:
251k miles. Its not when filling its any other time after driving. dealer said its corroded fuel sending unit not full pump... they haven't seen it in person they just said thats what they always see so they quoted me the price for that

The fuel sending unit IS the fuel pump.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,328
Posts
637,955
Members
18,531
Latest member
jvest

Members Online