2002 Trailblazer Rear ticking/clicking noise?

TByuri

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
I have a 2002 Trailblazer that has developed a constant clicking noise all the way in the rear where the button is to open the rear liftgate window.

This clicking starts as soon as i turn on the car to go to work and even when i park and turn off the car and close all doors, i can hear the clicking as im leaving the car.

Can anybody tell me what this problem is and the exact part i need to buy, i can have it installed by a family member. Thank you i have included some pictures of the location but just so you know this is not my vehicle just a google image i downloaded and wrote on.

tbbad.jpg

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

The clicking is one of the two solenoids back there for liftgate or liftglass locking. You need to pull the interior panel off to figure out which one.

BUT .... just knowing what's clicking won't guarantee that changing it will cure the noise. It may be a wiring problem in the liftgate hinge area, since they break sometimes from flexing. Or it may be a bad intelligent LGM (liftgate module). Do you have a meter and want to dig deeper to troubleshoot it properly so you don't waste money on a shotgun fix (change everything in sight and hope something fixed it?).

Diagnostics are a science sometimes and an art other times, and a lot depends on your experience and amount of tools you have. Can you give us a bit more background on your experience level?

TByuri

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Thanks for the comment and today as i was hearing the clicking which has now become a constant thing, i shook the box and the harness you see in this picture and the noise kept stopping and starting the more i wiggled it around. What is this box and what is the harness called? and what does it mean? Thank you for the help.

IMG_20120913_140707.jpg

TByuri

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
I have an update:

The truck is still continously clicking from the rear lid by where you push the button to release the window.

But now the rear wiper blade moves up n down in sync with the clicking so maybe it has something do with the rear wiper?

Before it never moved just clicked but only because it was stuck with glue residue i had left there when i was fixing rattles that my sound system bass was making.

So what do i check now as far as fuses, relays, wires and such.

TByuri

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Thanks Roadie I will check the wiring soon.

When i go to park the truck and walk away the wiper is still moving up and down as if i had the switch up front on but the switch is set to off and the wiper hand still keeps moving!!!?

When i turn the knob for the rear wiper to high it actually spins the wiper on but even when i set it to off the wiper keeps moving.

So grounds and power wires will be checked but i have never done this so does anybody have like a diagram of the wires along with the location and things?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
All the manuals a member had access to are here: http://gmtnation.com/f23/need-service-manuals-get-them-here-371/

Otherwise the Haynes manuals you can get at any parts store may discuss the inside of the liftgate with pictures. Otherwise just dig in and poke about, preferably with somebody who has done some automotive electrical work before.

It could also be a bad wiper motor assembly. Without some experience, you'll be working a bit in the dark. Sorry. We were all like that once.

TByuri

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Ok wires were checked and could not find anything out of wack.

Heres my question, we do not need the rear wiper at all as it rarely rains here and even when it does i do not use the rear wiper at all.

Can someone tell me how i can disconnect the rear wiper through which relay or fuse so i can pull it?

Please let me know the number of the fuse or relay. Thank you very much for the help.

TByuri

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Anybody can help me point out what fuse, relay, or item i have to disconnect in order to disable the rear wiper hand in the back of a 2002 trailblazer? We do not need it and its malfunctioning. Thanks.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Uh oh.....you failed to properly diagnose the problem and are attempting a band-aid. Some people turn different colors of green over that. :biggrin:

I would seriously look into what is causing the problem rather than disconnect the fuse. There could very well be a potential short somewhere and you don't want to leave that for someone else to find, ounce of prevention = pound of cure.

I don't know the proper steps to troubleshoot that particular problem but I believe if you cut the power to the module you lose your keyless entry also.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
TByuri said:
Anybody can help me point out what fuse, relay, or item i have to disconnect in order to disable the rear wiper hand in the back of a 2002 trailblazer? We do not need it and its malfunctioning. Thanks.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I thought it would have been obvious from the fuse chart in the Owner's Manual. Rear fuse block CB (circuit breaker) 9 will disable ONLY the rear wiper motor wna leave other functions undisturbed. "RR WIPER"

TByuri

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
the roadie said:
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I thought it would have been obvious from the fuse chart in the Owner's Manual. Rear fuse block CB (circuit breaker) 9 will disable ONLY the rear wiper motor wna leave other functions undisturbed. "RR WIPER"

Thanks for the help but unfortunately mines is a 2002 trailblazer and when i went to check that slot is empty, it shows an empty slot.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
My 2003 owners manual lists #9 (front fuse box) as Windshield Wipers.
The rear fuse box, #9 is blank and #33 Front Wipers. Maybe #33 should be labeled Rear Wiper?
There is nothing (front or rear fuse box) labeled Rear Wiper.
The manual does list #9 as Rear Wiper for the XL.

I just went and checked the rear fuse box on my Envoy (SWB) and there is a 15 amp CB in the #9 slot.
Also, the lable in the fuse box cover, does list #9 as Rear Wiper.

TByuri

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
In my 2002 trailblazer Lt non 4x4 it shows an empty slot so how do i disable the rear wiper.

Also if anybody thinks this is important whenever i hear the constant clicking noise when the truck is off i go to the back and raise the rear hatch and the rear wiper still continually makes a sound even with the hatch raised.

TByuri

Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Solved/temporarily.

Disconnected the box connected to the rear wiper and now the ticking and wiper hand moving uncontrollably has completely stopped. I will fix this right in the future. Thanks to everyone who commented.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online