2002 Trailblazer airbox question

KWG2005

Original poster
Sep 6, 2023
Nashville
Good Evening,

I saw posts regarding the airbox and removing resonators and using "cold air" intakes. My question is this... Where the intake pipe goes into the airbox, there is a piece that goes up into a resonator space in the air box cover. My concern is I can't verify that this is making a good seal. What if it's leaking around there and drawing in un-filtered air? Maybe I should use duct take and seal it off. I suppose the only downside of that is it might change the sound of the intake? I removed a resonator on my S10 that was a real PIA due to being in the way, and I can't tell the difference. Below are pics of what I'm referring to which one I ripped off another post on this site. One is the hole in the pipe and the other is the bottom of the lid to the airbox that it connects to. Any input is appreciated.

1707089706455.png

1707089428162.png

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yes, you'll want to seal that opening in your intake tube if you plan to gut your airbox. Years ago, I gutted my box, removed the resonator on top of the engine, and used silicone tubing to make a new intake pipe. Changes to the underhood sound were negligible.

Reactions: KWG2005

KWG2005

Original poster
Sep 6, 2023
Nashville
Yes, you'll want to seal that opening in your intake tube if you plan to gut your airbox. Years ago, I gutted my box, removed the resonator on top of the engine, and used silicone tubing to make a new intake pipe. Changes to the underhood sound were negligible.
Thanks for the quick reply.... I actually don't plan to gut my airbox. I just don't know how good that seal is where the pipe goes in the hole. I think maybe it could be sucking in non-filtered air if it's not sealing well. I am thinking of just putting duct take over the hole that sticks up. I was wondering if anyone else thought that perhaps this fitting doesn't seal that well? Or maybe I overthink things. When I install the top of the airbox, I just think how I hope it's lining up well and making a good seal on that pipe.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If it's really bothering you, sealing it won't hurt, if it gives you peace of mind, but it's really not necessary. Of all the issues we've seen on this forum and the previous one, a problem due to unfiltered air seeping through that spot hasn't been one.

If you want to test it to be sure, get some grease, or toothpaste, and smear some on the flat part of the airbox where that rubber seal is supposed to seat. Put everything in place, and then take the box back off, and see if there's a complete smudge ring where the rubber seal seats. If it does, then you're good to go, if not, then proceed with the duct tape. :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online