2002 envoy random misfire

mrbigron2u

Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Alton, IL
Need help with this- 2002 envoy with 224,000 on the odometer. I have owned the truck since 2019 and have done quite a bit of work to it and now here we go again....
After replacing the plugs, intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets now the thing is randomly misfiring and it really is random. I put fel-pro gaskets in and ac telco 41-103 plugs in. Now when going down the highway its almost as if you can feel one of the cylinders cut out and you could smell unburnt fuel (which somehow has went away in the past week). Since this has started I replaced the fuel filter today and went for a long test drive and still the same issue. When its running good, it runs PERFECT, but when the misfire kicks in it runs like trash. I have also replaced the vacuum hose that is on the side of the intake (had big cracks in it from when I moved the hose to get at the intake bolts. I put a new cat in it back early 2020 bc the stock unit was plugged badly and caused a crack in the exhaust manifold. Only code it throws is a p0300 and yes before anyone asks, I have cleaned the throttle body twice in the 2 years I have owned the truck and that includes when I replaced the plugs. I don't know what else there could be to do before I have to do a compression test and all that jazz but I do not believe this should be necessary seeing as the problems did not come up until the tune up was done. truck ran perfectly before the work was done, you could just tell it was time for a tune up. Anything I missed that I don't know of?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do you have a scanner that can show live data, especially LTFT, STFT and misfire counts? An ELM 327 with the Torque app would work for this and more.

Reactions: rchalmers3

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
P0300 should be amended to read: Miss-fire, random, otherwise unspecified.

When the miss-fire occurs, does it feel like a single cylinder dropping out for a short period of time or is it a singular "hiccup"?

I would incorporate the idea of plugged or failing fuel injectors, and/or coils. As Mooseman suggests, you are going to need a scanner of some kind to look deeper into the operating parameters and be able to identify any variations from normal readings.

Rick

mrbigron2u

Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Alton, IL
I do have a cheap scanner that does show me the fuel trims but not misfire info. It honestly is both at times, sometimes a single cylinder goes dead (happens cruising on the highway with light load) and the single hiccup sitting at a stop light. Replaced one coil #3 and seems to be doing better but still not perfect. Going to replace number 6 as those were the only two left that were Delphi branded coils and they looked old.

Reactions: rchalmers3

mrbigron2u

Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Alton, IL
@mrbigron2u any updates?

I'm curious to know if the miss-fire starts after the engine warms up. does it run smooth cold?
Rick
It ran "okay" cold. It did misfire a bit when just warmed up, but usually there were no specific patterns to it. There is a resolution to this story of sorts- The muffler went bad and when it was in the shop, they showed me the rusted off drivers side trailing arm mount on the frame so we traded it in and got a 2008 TB LT instead in MUUUCH better shape and only 130,000 instead of the 224,000 the envoy had.

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
Thanks for the update, and for trading up to the 2008.

I too have an 08 LT and love everything about it. If you have any niggling issues with your new whip, here on this forum you can consult the GMT360 brain trust.

Rick

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online