2002 - 2005 Turbo Tune Now Available!

limequat

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
520
Hey guys, this is great news!

I've been talking with a couple of great guys about a turbo tune for the 2002 - 2005 Trailblazers. Until recently, this was thought to be generally impossible due to the limitations for the P10 PCM. Then, this happened:

jeffcarcraft.jpg


That's Jeff Wieser's Firebird with a 2005 trailblazer engine. He ran a stock 2005 PCM tuned by Mark Romans to make 380 HP to the wheels on 8 psi of boost.

Both Jeff and Mark have agreed to make this tune available to the TB community. Now for the disclaimers: This was tuned specific for Jeff's car. That means a front-facing Hogan intake manifold, injectors, 2 bar map, etc. Don't expect to flash this to your bone stock trailblazer and expect a perfect tune. But if you have HPT, this will be good starting point to get you on your way to boost. Even better would be to upgrade to a 2006 PCM (Jeff is doing that right now).

If you happen to live out west, look up Mark for all your tuning needs.

Enjoy!
 

03envoy

Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
If only there was a turbo kit for the 4200.... Well I mean one that is just bolt on, and not require customization:frown:
 

ScarabEpic22

Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
I was wondering if Jeff/Mark were going to let us peek at the tune, pretty sure I know how to do it, but Jeff has the running car so the proof is right there!

Im still skeptical about an 06/07 PCM upgrade for 02-05 guys, not sure what will happen to the comms throughout the truck. For a swap like Jeffs, its not a big deal, but for guys with the I6 in a GMT360, losing their cluster/stereo/BCM functionality is a BIG problem. That said, it could work perfectly without any tweaking at all, wont know until someone tries it!

Thanks for sharing the tune, Ill check it out at home tonight where I have HPT's demo.
 

limequat

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
520
ScarabEpic22 said:
I was wondering if Jeff/Mark were going to let us peek at the tune, pretty sure I know how to do it, but Jeff has the running car so the proof is right there!

Im still skeptical about an 06/07 PCM upgrade for 02-05 guys, not sure what will happen to the comms throughout the truck. For a swap like Jeffs, its not a big deal, but for guys with the I6 in a GMT360, losing their cluster/stereo/BCM functionality is a BIG problem. That said, it could work perfectly without any tweaking at all, wont know until someone tries it!

Thanks for sharing the tune, Ill check it out at home tonight where I have HPT's demo.

Looks like he halved the injector constant and used a 2 bar map. If you're really interested, I'd be willing to burn it to a PCM so you can read it with EFI-LIVE.
 

jimmyjam

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,634
that intake makes my weiner tingly :confused:
 

ScarabEpic22

Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
limequat said:
Looks like he halved the injector constant and used a 2 bar map. If you're really interested, I'd be willing to burn it to a PCM so you can read it with EFI-LIVE.

Thanks for confirming that, I figured thats what he had to do to make it work. My concern with doing that is the way the P10s do fueling, its RPM vs Load so trying to tune the VE tables using Load as one of the axes is tricky (moreso than MAP).

If you get around to it, having it available in both EFILive and HPTuners format would be nice! I know Id rather look at it in EFILive simply because I have a license and it wont pop up with all the demo notifications! :cool:

And I <3 that intake manifold...just sayin. :redface:
 

limequat

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
520
ScarabEpic22 said:
Thanks for confirming that, I figured thats what he had to do to make it work. My concern with doing that is the way the P10s do fueling, its RPM vs Load so trying to tune the VE tables using Load as one of the axes is tricky (moreso than MAP).

If you get around to it, having it available in both EFILive and HPTuners format would be nice! I know Id rather look at it in EFILive simply because I have a license and it wont pop up with all the demo notifications! :cool:

And I <3 that intake manifold...just sayin. :redface:

Correction: Jeff says 1 bar map and rising rate regulator.
 

ScarabEpic22

Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
limequat said:
Correction: Jeff says 1 bar map and rising rate regulator.

Ah yep, from what Ive seen in the PCM tables and looking at some turbo setups in the past that have been done (very few), you either run a rising rate regulator and a 1 Bar MAP (usually with a voltage clamp on the MAP so the PCM doesnt see anything past 14.7), or a 2 Bar MAP with limited table resolution. The latter will make for a worse DD, but better control of fueling in boost (have to halve the spark tables which are already limited resolution on the P10).

Thanks for the update! And is it bad last night I toyed with the idea of building a basic turbo setup for my 02? Ive wanted to do it forever, but not sure how I feel about giving it back to my brother with an extra 100+hp in September...
 

kardain

Member
Dec 16, 2011
557
All I need is a header with a t3 flange
:biggrin:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,321
Posts
637,914
Members
18,525
Latest member
tdean89

Members Online