100k maint.

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
So I need help putting together a laundry list of things to do before I make a long towing trip to Canada just as I am going to hit 100k. Here are the things I have already done:
-Replaced Spark Plugs
-Replaced Thermostat
-Replaced serpentine belt
-changed transfer case, front and rear diff fluids
-cleaned throttle body
- air filter looks clean but I'm putting a k&n in anyways
-Changed over to synthetic.

The more I have been reading, I know trans fluid flush and pan drop are needed, also engine flush because of my knock and replace CPAS. What other sensors/ things should I be looking at replacing as preventative so I don't end up dead in the middle of Canada eh?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
wesman43 said:
Hahaha! Yup been there done that, I just think everyone here has a better sense of what truly needs it at 100k for these trucks other than what the manual/Google says

I normally go down the list and check things in that area that may need to come apart to get to things... If something else needs replacing then I do it. When inspecting what it says is where you may find things that need replacing.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Sounds like you're on top if it. Power steering fluid and do tranny fluid/filter asap. Shocks too, but that is a matter of comfort.

Check your idler tension pulley! That mofo seized up on me in Idaho while towing! Enjoy the drive, my '05 is the best road trip vehicle I've ever riden/driven. Not counting '13 Audi A6... :lipsrsealed:

Double checking that the water pump and fan clutch are tight will not hurt either! I want a road trip up north now...

I just rolled 120k, and I'd leave to drive to AK and back tmrw if I could. TB is a champ. Just don't race it for 15hours and you won't burn as much gas! :rotfl:

Seriously though, no worries. Safe travels!

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Load test battery, check all ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links, sway bar link bushings, upper and lower control arm bushings, engine mounts, ECT... grease door hinges, clean Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Cleaning... I'll add more when I think of more.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Take a good look at shocks/struts,

flush the brake fluid

power steering fluid ( I just emptied and filled the reservoir a few times, driving for a day or so in between)

and take a close look at the spare tire. make sure you can lower and raise. as the spare gets close to ten years old, consider replacing, even if just to mount the best old tire you have when replacing the set.

careful check for rust. (you may want to change the transmission cooler lines if they look really nasty before they leak)

ddgm

May 7, 2013
What kind of knock? I'd be leary of going anywhere if I had an engine knock, especially towing. We do have the odd garage
up here in the wilds of Canada, eh!

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Haha! Well its a valve actuator noise, it can be solved by flushing (captain had the exact same noise and its how he solved it), thank you all so much for the input, I checked my ball joints today, and my uppers will both need it when I get back not too bad yet. Doing tranny tomorrow before work hopefully. Def pulling belt and checking everything, maybe I will slap in a new air flow sensor while I am at it so she purrrrrrrrs :smile:

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
wesman43 said:
Haha! Well its a valve actuator noise, it can be solved by flushing (captain had the exact same noise and its how he solved it), thank you all so much for the input, I checked my ball joints today, and my uppers will both need it when I get back not too bad yet. Doing tranny tomorrow before work hopefully. Def pulling belt and checking everything, maybe I will slap in a new air flow sensor while I am at it so she purrrrrrrrs :smile:

I learned my lesson with my Buick..water pump went out in the middle of Toronto
..cost me $900 at a Canadian tire because I was stranded x_x never get stranded in Canada :no:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online