06 TB wheels with clearcoat and charcoal paint pockets need replaced

dmtaurus

Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
My factory 16"x7" wheels are really getting bad looking. Winter is not nice and the air is leaking out just a little on a couple of them, probably corrosion around the tire bead. I have shopped and have found that RockAuto has what looks like the best price on reconditioned wheels at $131 each for machined finish with charcoal paint pockets. Anyone tried them?

Also, I bought tires at Sam's 3 years ago and keep them balanced and rotated. The problem is the wheel weights gouge the rim when installed, which I think leads to clearcoat paint failure, and the start of the corrosion process. Is there a better process to balance them, like with stick-on weights?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
dmtaurus said:
...stick-on weights?
I haven't seen a tire store this century that didn't have adhesive weights available. I ask for them because on my rims, they can be applied inside where rocks won't tear them off. Also closer to the centerline if the imbalance is not towards the inside or outside. Perhaps you have to ask for them at your shop?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yes stick on weights.

I am sure if u took ur wheel to a tire shop they could clean the bead so that the wheel could hold air properly.

The clear coat on gm factory tb wheels are horrible. U could paint them. Instead of paying all that $$ for replacements that are just gonna corode and end up w/ the same problem u have now. I used duplicolor wheel coating (its paint) and man my wheels turned out awesome!!
ahe5ybe7.jpg

uhyhuvag.jpg

dmtaurus

Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
The rims look good black. But being someone who kinda likes the factory look wheels I was going to try and stay with what came on it.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
we used to always stick the weights on the inside of the rim (on nice rims) when worked in tires.
I didn't ask for it my first few sets but then remembered to the past few sets by then the damage was done.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
dmtaurus said:
The rims look good black. But being someone who kinda likes the factory look wheels I was going to try and stay with what came on it.

I knew you'd say that. :wink: they have other colors than just black.

Shana7711

Nov 29, 2012
I just got brand new hankook dynapro tires at discount tire for 129 ea., originally 147, on sale for less than that, but the i found the 129 price online and they matched it. I was also able to talk them down to 105 on my rims, which were 120. I would hit em up, they were really helpful and have a plan for free balancing, flat fix, and rotation, either for one year or life of tire, i dont remember lol.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
jrSS said:
Yes stick on weights.

I am sure if u took ur wheel to a tire shop they could clean the bead so that the wheel could hold air properly.

The clear coat on gm factory tb wheels are horrible. U could paint them. Instead of paying all that $$ for replacements that are just gonna corode and end up w/ the same problem u have now. I used duplicolor wheel coating (its paint) and man my wheels turned out awesome!!
ahe5ybe7.jpg

uhyhuvag.jpg

What was the process you used to paint? Don't have money to pc right and plastidip keeps peeling.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
dmtaurus said:
My factory 16"x7" wheels are really getting bad looking. Winter is not nice and the air is leaking out just a little on a couple of them, probably corrosion around the tire bead. I have shopped and have found that RockAuto has what looks like the best price on reconditioned wheels at $131 each for machined finish with charcoal paint pockets. Anyone tried them?
If you haven't already replaced them, I happen to have 4 stock 16" rims and lug nuts that would be much cheaper then those.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Canary2323 said:
What was the process you used to paint? Don't have money to pc right and plastidip keeps peeling.

I just scuffed up the clear w/ 320grit paper making sure that I scuffed every area. Clean w/ brakekleen. (U gotta make sure the brake clean is all cleaned and wiped off b4 paint. ) when all the cleaner is wiped off ... use some cards to go around the rim itself to seperate tire from rim. (I used a deck of playing cards..worked great) Spray 1st coat at a 70% coverage (not heavy) let 1st coat dry for 15 min. then u can spray evenly heavier coats. I did 3 coats or 1 can per wheel. Good luck.....sorry for responding to ur question so late.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
jrSS said:
I just scuffed up the clear w/ 320grit paper making sure that I scuffed every area. Clean w/ brakekleen. (U gotta make sure the brake clean is all cleaned and wiped off b4 paint. ) when all the cleaner is wiped off ... use some cards to go around the rim itself to seperate tire from rim. (I used a deck of playing cards..worked great) Spray 1st coat at a 70% coverage (not heavy) let 1st coat dry for 15 min. then u can spray evenly heavier coats. I did 3 coats or 1 can per wheel. Good luck.....sorry for responding to ur question so late.

No problem its cool just checked now too. Did you put clear coat over after? Could you pm or email me so more close up pics? Wanted to paint mine but didn't it wants to look crappy. Let me know thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online