06 TB No airbags.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That sure didn't seem air-bag-worthy as crashes go. What the designers (who are NOT stupid people in the air bag group) probably wanted was for glancing blows like that one to NOT set off the air bags in 2-3G hits, in case the car veers sideways and hits something that causes a 20-50G deceleration. I'd rather break a collarbone on the seat belt in a mild crash, to make sure the bags are there for the SECONDARY crash.

Anybody discussing airbag deployment problems who hasn't read up on secondary crashes isn't qualified to have the discussion. In the pictured case, nobody hit the windshield, and if they hit the steering wheel they were sitting too darned close to it. Unless there's more details that need to be posted.

The answer to that poster was: You report things like that to the NHTSA, naturally.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If she had hit the median head on at 55mph the bags would have blown. But just a glancing blow on the corner like that? Nope. Probably would have done more harm than good to go off. Heck, the driver side headlight is only cracked a bit.

Corner hits almost never blow the bags as it isn't a collision typically going to bring you to a sudden forward stop. That is almost the only time the forward bags should go off is a direct (or near direct) front end hit beyond a certain force that would be above the safety point of the seatbelt.

I get the impression some people want the bags to go off if someone love taps the bumper :no: She should actually be happy they didn't go off, otherwise the repair bills would be so much higher (or the truck possibly even totaled, that looks to be a relatively simple repair job).

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
[video=youtube;G-sG1MDXtVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-sG1MDXtVI[/video]

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
If she had hit the median head on at 55mph the bags would have blown. But just a glancing blow on the corner like that? Nope. Probably would have done more harm than good to go off. Heck, the driver side headlight is only cracked a bit.

Corner hits almost never blow the bags as it isn't a collision typically going to bring you to a sudden forward stop. That is almost the only time the forward bags should go off is a direct (or near direct) front end hit beyond a certain force that would be above the safety point of the seatbelt.

I get the impression some people want the bags to go off if someone love taps the bumper :no: She should actually be happy they didn't go off, otherwise the repair bills would be so much higher (or the truck possibly even totaled, that looks to be a relatively simple repair job).

I agree, it seems people want the airbags to go off for every accident. In reality it takes a very spacific type of collision to deploy the airbags. I am no expert but 15 years of firefighting experiance running TONS of accident calls I can say I would have been supprised if the airbags did deploy. Really it's the right call, if she would have glanced off it and stopped facing on comming cars and been hit head on she would then be happy the airbags didn't go off on the first hit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online