06 envoy xl rear coolant leak

LOCKER28

Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
I have a coolant leak on the passenger side from a black rubber nipple. Could this be the heater core?

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
If it is, you may be better off bypassing the rear hear heat. Mine started leaking in the back and appears to have a clogged heater core. The new core is cheap, but its a newer design and you have to replace lines as well. $1200 - $1500 to have it done. I thought about doing it myself until I looked underneath. Far too much work. I'm not aware of a kit that allows you to splice in the connectors to the old lines, though that seems like a no-brainer for someone to come up with. So instead I disconnected the rear inlet at the heater control valve, then cut the return hose just on the inside of the left wheel. I ran a 5/8 in heater hose from the heater control valve to the return hose using an elbow joint to connect those two ends. Cost me $20.

EDIT:
Just found the following. Wish I had run across this before. But it won't be too difficult to reconnect everything if I need to.

http://gmtnation.com/f23/how-replace-rear-heater-core-without-conversion-kit-474/

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.