06-09 LT Front End Bumper Questions

ScarabEpic22

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
OK guys, need some help here. My brother rear-ended a Malibu last week in Montana where he has the TB for the winter. Ive already got an extra headlight off of my SS that is going there, but since it needs a new bumper and grille, I want to do an 06-09 LT front bumper and a SS grille. I DONT want an SS bumper on it before anyone asks, I already have my TBSS and I like the look of the new LT style plus I can reuse the stock fogs and tow hooks (cant do either with an SS bumper). Plus Im going to use Monstaliner on the front end in June and I cant bring myself to liner an SS bumper.

So, I know what parts I need for the grille, but I cant find a list either here or on TrailVoy about exactly what parts are needed for the bumper. I know Ill need the cover itself, but I dont know what brackets or any support pieces (I think there's one that goes btw the impact brace and bumper cover) I need/

Thanks, lets get this all documented as well for future use! :thumbsup:

So far I have:
06-09 LT Front Bumper Cover (GM 1000815)
 

Porkins

Member
Dec 5, 2011
6,960
IIRC you need the Bumper cover support bracket, Bumper cover brace Left & right, also the bumper cover retainer(check first to see if the old one are in ok shape.) Sorry dont remember part numbers.
 

ScarabEpic22

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
Porkins said:
IIRC you need the Bumper cover support bracket, Bumper cover brace Left & right, also the bumper cover retainer(check first to see if the old one are in ok shape.) Sorry dont remember part numbers.

Ok good to know, anyone know if I need a different spacer between the impact bar and bumper cover? Im guessing I do, I know the SS uses a different spacer because it has the drop in the middle, assume the 06-09 LT does too.
 

Spectre

Member
Jul 17, 2012
14
Exactly what I'm thinking about doing. I've got an 02 LTZ, and like the look of the LT bumper cover with either grille.

Did a little research on GM parts direct....approximate costs:


07 lt bumper cover with braces, spacer,brackets etc =375-380 bucks, not counting shipping costs (I priced the cover with fog and hook cut outs)

SS grille assy and assorted hardware=483 bucks (gasp) not counting shipping

LT grille and assorted hardware =207ish....

Since I'm a cheapskate, I'd rather do the LT Grille and spring for headlight replacements.
 

ScarabEpic22

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
Well here's the last update, body shop in Montana went ahead and fixed everything without clearing it with my brother or parents (how the hell do bodyshops get away with this, this is the 2nd time THIS YEAR to me that this has happened in 2 different states at 2 different unrelated shops).

So its got a regular 02 LT bumper cover (ugh) on it and looks like it'll stay that way, not going to spend $$ on something Im going to liner in June. Unless someone wants to trade an 06-09 LT bumper cover (any color) for a new reconditioned bumper cover painted summit white.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Without authorization, sounds like they did the job for free and have no leg to stand on if your lawyer sends them a letter. They may try to keep the vehicle hostage. And nobody ever call body shops on this sort of stuff because they need the vehicles.
 

scorpio1

Member
Dec 12, 2012
50
ScarabEpic22- Which body shop? I'm located in Missoula. Would love to hear which one so I can avoid them in the future. On that note, there are quite a few half-ass fly by night body shops around here.... most cheap ones are exactly that, cheap, in quality of course.
 

Spectre

Member
Jul 17, 2012
14
ScarabEpic22 said:
Well here's the last update, body shop in Montana went ahead and fixed everything without clearing it with my brother or parents (how the hell do bodyshops get away with this, this is the 2nd time THIS YEAR to me that this has happened in 2 different states at 2 different unrelated shops).

So its got a regular 02 LT bumper cover (ugh) on it and looks like it'll stay that way, not going to spend $$ on something Im going to liner in June. Unless someone wants to trade an 06-09 LT bumper cover (any color) for a new reconditioned bumper cover painted summit white.

That stinks.

Had a similar situation with my wife's Acadia, and it all comes down to the body shop doing what the insurance co. will pay for versus what the owner wants. My wife got rear-ended (stay out of the gutter:biggrin:) and the kid's insurance company kept interferring with the repair of her bumper, trying to get the dealer to source used parts etc. Fortunately for us, the dealer doing the repair kept us in the loop. Most body shops do collision repair for insurance companies to stay on their "recommended" list and keep the bucks rolling in.

On a side note, I've done some more research and it looks like I can get most of the parts for the swap for cheaper than I originally thought:

Ebay used OEM bumper cover- $100-150 bucks
Aftermarket or used 07-09 LT grille assembly, both pieces-$50-125 depending on the source and if you buy the 2 pieces separately or as a unit
Brackets and spacers, aftermarket (local parts store)-$50-75

So the parts on the high end would be around 350 and the low end as little as 200 with patience.

I've got a local paint/body guy that I could probably get to spray cheap and the Pewter Metallic (doncha just love Chevy) isn't horribly expensive or hard to get.
 

ScarabEpic22

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
the roadie said:
Without authorization, sounds like they did the job for free and have no leg to stand on if your lawyer sends them a letter. They may try to keep the vehicle hostage. And nobody ever call body shops on this sort of stuff because they need the vehicles.

Its BS and Im pissed, but even my insurance agent is like WTF can I do about it? When I go visit my brother in Feburary, Im going to go to the shop have a little chat with the owner.

scorpio1 said:
ScarabEpic22- Which body shop? I'm located in Missoula. Would love to hear which one so I can avoid them in the future. On that note, there are quite a few half-ass fly by night body shops around here.... most cheap ones are exactly that, cheap, in quality of course.

Billion Auto Body in Bozeman, MT.

OT, are you friends with kardain? PM me if you are ha. :biggrin:

Spectre said:
That stinks.

Had a similar situation with my wife's Acadia, and it all comes down to the body shop doing what the insurance co. will pay for versus what the owner wants. My wife got rear-ended (stay out of the gutter:biggrin:) and the kid's insurance company kept interferring with the repair of her bumper, trying to get the dealer to source used parts etc. Fortunately for us, the dealer doing the repair kept us in the loop. Most body shops do collision repair for insurance companies to stay on their "recommended" list and keep the bucks rolling in.

On a side note, I've done some more research and it looks like I can get most of the parts for the swap for cheaper than I originally thought:

Ebay used OEM bumper cover- $100-150 bucks
Aftermarket or used 07-09 LT grille assembly, both pieces-$50-125 depending on the source and if you buy the 2 pieces separately or as a unit
Brackets and spacers, aftermarket (local parts store)-$50-75

So the parts on the high end would be around 350 and the low end as little as 200 with patience.

I've got a local paint/body guy that I could probably get to spray cheap and the Pewter Metallic (doncha just love Chevy) isn't horribly expensive or hard to get.

Yes, this place was a certified State Farm repair place thingy.

I havent seen a new style LT bumper for anything less than 350 shipped on eBay, the LS and 02-05 LT style ones are super cheap and plentiful. I was going to use a SS grille, I personally hate the look of the stock 06-09 LT style grille without the sidebars. To each their own though. :thumbsup:

I dont even need any of it painted so it can be whatever colors.

But now that it's fixed, not worth the few hundred bucks IMO to do it. Rather use that $$ on my SS instead.
 

scorpio1

Member
Dec 12, 2012
50
Well at least its getting fixed, albeit not the way you wanted/ intended.

Oh and yes I am, PM sent. LOL
 

Spectre

Member
Jul 17, 2012
14
ScarabEpic22 said:
Its BS and Im pissed, but even my insurance agent is like WTF can I do about it? When I go visit my brother in Feburary, Im going to go to the shop have a little chat with the owner.
Yes, this place was a certified State Farm repair place thingy.

I havent seen a new style LT bumper for anything less than 350 shipped on eBay, the LS and 02-05 LT style ones are super cheap and plentiful. I was going to use a SS grille, I personally hate the look of the stock 06-09 LT style grille without the sidebars. To each their own though. :thumbsup:

I dont even need any of it painted so it can be whatever colors.

But now that it's fixed, not worth the few hundred bucks IMO to do it. Rather use that $$ on my SS instead.

I don't blame you, I'd feel the same way probably.



But...

Chevrolet Chevy Trailblazer w Fog Lamp Front Bumper Cover Genuine 06 07 08 | eBay

$130-free shipping, even saw a white one on there this past weekend. I know you don't need it, but there it is if someone else is interested

I like both grilles (SS,LT) so I figure I'll get the bumper cover and hardware, then see whichever grille I can get the easiest. I'll have to paint all of it 'cuz I don't think the pewter metallic was offered after 04-05?
 

ScarabEpic22

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
Spectre said:
I don't blame you, I'd feel the same way probably.



But...

Chevrolet Chevy Trailblazer w Fog Lamp Front Bumper Cover Genuine 06 07 08 | eBay

$130-free shipping, even saw a white one on there this past weekend. I know you don't need it, but there it is if someone else is interested

I like both grilles (SS,LT) so I figure I'll get the bumper cover and hardware, then see whichever grille I can get the easiest. I'll have to paint all of it 'cuz I don't think the pewter metallic was offered after 04-05?

Ah, I was only looking at new ones. Tempting...

*NO Erik, you promised only getting the SS parts installed and running for the first few months of 2013.*

Someday, thats a good deal and color doesnt matter to me. Not like its going to stay like that for long anyway ha.
 

Oh so slow

Member
Jan 1, 2013
19
Thanks for the info in this thread! I wanna change the look of my front end but don't wanna ss clone (as nice as they look). :thumbsup:
 

Porkins

Member
Dec 5, 2011
6,960
Oh so slow said:
Thanks for the info in this thread! I wanna change the look of my front end but don't wanna ss clone (as nice as they look). :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Nation. Let us know if you need any help.
 

Spectre

Member
Jul 17, 2012
14
Found 09 LT grille assembly, all three pieces (outer trim, grille and emblem) for $100 including shipping, on it's way.
It's a dark purple, so I'll have to paint it...duplicolor is a wonderful thing.

Looking at a couple of bumper covers that need a little work in the 100=150 range. I think I'm gonna fill the license plate holes before painting, so a decent used one will work. I gotta call my paint/body buddy for advice.

Plan to remove the mouldings and roof rack (weather permitting) today or tommorrow.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,307
Posts
637,746
Members
18,509
Latest member
Napalm

Members Online