05 TB to bouncy with trailer?

racetech421

Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Hey new to the forum. Been browsing here for a bit and decided to join. One of my main problems with my 05 TB LS is towing my pop up. It rips down the freeway 75 all day like it isnt even there. My problem is the rear seems way to bouncy. I dont notice to much from the front, but anyone who sits in the rear seats while I tow gets bounced around pretty good. wich can become pretty uncomfortable after a few minutes, let alone a 7 hour ride. Im sure its a tongue weight issue, as my pop up has a storage compartment on the front and i carry most of my gear in it, that being said, my TB doesnt squat to much with the trailer on, maybe an inch. I have not weighed the tongue. I use a 5 inch drop hitch so the camper is level. What if anything can be done besides reducing tongue weight to help this problem? Any advice appreciated thanks.

racetech421

Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Well, i put brand new delcos on last year, didnt help anything lol. What are you guys using as a fair priced quality shock? I put oe bilsteins on front, pretty happy with them

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bilstien HD

You could run stiffer springs. I think moog has some available

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I know the SS sits an inch lower factory, but my axle came with shocks torched off so I could not compare.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Get bilstein HDs or monroe reflex (others like these). Airlift bags that support <1000lbs for leveling support is something I have been putting off. Airliftcompany.com

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
I know the SS sits an inch lower factory, but my axle came with shocks torched off so I could not compare.
I will pull one of mine back off and compare them, heck I may just put them on mine if they are shorter. I have been wanting to find a way to cross reference parts to get some shock that are 4" shorter than the stock ones. You know of such a thing?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I usually just look at the manufactuer for specs, but you might see if the SSR shocks are shorter too. I am pretty sure they had same rear setup so they could convert over for ya

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Would prolly be pretty simple to drop the mount location on axle as well.

racetech421

Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
I did see the bags that go in springs, 1000lb rated, air bags. Think im gonna replace shocks first. From what i have read in some other threads guys have mixed emotions on the Bilstein HDs, doesnt sound like what im looking for. May try the monroe first.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think HD mix is from stiffer front struts

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
I'm curious as to what you mean by bouncy?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I would like to see what your weight is on that trailer. I had a huge amount of bouncing on my truck with the original rear shocks on it at 120k miles. I only have a 1000 pound system in the back end and every time I went over a hump in the road or a speed bump, you would swear someone was bouncing up and down on my rear bumper. Then when I towed my friends jet ski that weighs 400 pounds, it bounced so bad that the mud flaps would scrape on the ground. I had bad sagging on my truck from the weight of the system and when towing it got worse so I upgraded to z71 springs and bilstein HD shocks for the rear. That instantly fixed things for me. I am at the stock ride height for the truck if you were using stock springs without any weight added and have nice firm response on the suspension. I then went and upgraded my front shocks to bilstein HD's as well in the following summer and it made such a big difference in ride quality. It does ride a little stiffer but I cannot compare that to stock because my shocks were super old and work out. They were so bad in the rear, I could compress them by putting one end in each hand and pushing inwards. Pretty sad considering I am not the strongest guy out there. My front ones were not too bad but they were on their way out.

My recommendation is to try the bounce test in the back. What I did was get on my hitch and bounce up and down a few times to really get the truck to bounce and then stop bouncing. On my OEM shocks, my truck would bounce 3.5 times before it came to a rest. My bilstein HD's it would bounce 1.5 times and stop. Are you sure it is your rear end that is bouncing? I do not see anything about you replacing the front shocks.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

racetech421

Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
By bouncy let me try to explain. It doesnt slowly bounce up and down like old boat caddy ridin over bumps. It feels to stiff with the trailer on it. You really feel every crack and bump in the road and my rear passengers look like they are riding around in a go cart with no suspension lol I can pick up the tongue of my pop up, just barely. So id say it weighs around 400 lbs loaded, on the tongue that is.

I replaced the fronts at the same time I replaced the rear. Front struts are Bilstein. Should have went with that for the rear shocks to but I cheaped out and got AC Delco for the rear. they work, Im just thinking they are valved to stiff.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
bilsteins do make for a harder ride than stock from what others reported. I went from old and shot OEM shocks to the bilstein HD's all around and noticed a lot better response. It does make it so I can feel everything in the road but its not bad. I think you are just fine but may be used to the saggy/old shocks.

racetech421

Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Yea im not saying anything is wrong. I know things are working fine. Im just not happy with the ride with weight on it and was wondering if anyone else had this problem is all. I may try some different rear shocks as that is my cheapest option at some point.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
You may want to give some consideration to airlift support bags as previously mentioned. It helps stiffen up your springs response and can help with some issues you may be experiencing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online