05 envoy making scraping noise after hub change

storm6489

Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
Hi I am newbie here..Just change both front wheel hub/bearings on my 05 Envoy with new Timkens now my dust shield on the left is scraping. When I took them off there was an O-Ring on the drivers side hub but not the passenger. Just put rotors, pads, calipers & struts on July 2014. My dust shields were still in great condition all I did to them was take a wire brush & clean them. After putting it all back together I believe my shield rubs like crazy took it back apart checked for anything behind them nothing tried bending but cant get rid of it. And why only one O-ring and where do I get a new if needed? any insight would help.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Not uncommon for the sheet metal to bend when you remove the hubs.

I would just take off the rotor and tap the lip of the dust shields back 1/8-1/4" or so with a hammer. It may not look like it's touching when you put the rotor on but when they're clamped up with the wheel and weight from the vehicle they can flex enough to rub.

Reactions: storm6489

storm6489

Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
I tried bending will give it another try thanks for the fast response just aggravating seeing almost all new stuff on that wheel & it rubs...any idea about the O-rings? No new ones came with the hubs?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I got so frustrated with mine I eventually just bought new shields. Some members here have just removed them altogether.

As far as the O-rings? I don't think they're really necessary unless they're supposed to help keep the knuckle and hub from seizing together...but it's open on the other side so how much difference can it make?

Short answer: don't worry about them. neither of my original hubs or the replacements had them.

Reactions: storm6489

storm6489

Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
Thank you so much for the quick response...I just may order me some hopefully will be able to reshape. Just found this site this morning & already cant believe the info & response to questions Thank you

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I and several others have just tossed the dust shields/ rock catchers in the trash without negative results. Another option if you cant get them bent back and don't want to spend more pennies.

storm6489

Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
thank you well I got it bent back, what I realized when I put the new hub on & cleaned out everything that the center when tightened pull the edges closer to the rotor at the bottom(Duh me), so I took an old socket & got close to the new hub gave it a couple whacks on the shield & the bottom pushed away from the rotor. test drove it making hard turns no sound PHEW!!! thank you all very much

Mar 18, 2015
My advice would be to paint the shield black and run it for a few miles take The wheel and rotor off and you should see where it's rubbing and make the appropriate changes good luck hope this helps.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online