03 trailblazer wont go above 10 mph

grizzly4x4

Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
My trailblazer won't shift. It just revs up like its in neutral. I changed transmission fluid and filter. I changed shift solenoids. New thermostat. It has 140000 miles on it. Anyone else having issues like this?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
When did you change the trans fluid?

Did you check the trans fluid level when hot, level ground, engine running?

Did you ever drive it with low fluid and notice it slipping?

If you have a Reduced Engine Power light, did you try to restart it?

Does it drive away from a stop weak or strong then not shift?

What exactly did you do when you dropped the pan?

Could be low on fluid, starving of fluid, did this happen all of a sudden or over a short period of time?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
If it's in limp mode your dash should be lit up like a Christmas tree.

grizzly4x4

Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
gmcman said:
When did you change the trans fluid?

Did you check the trans fluid level when hot, level ground, engine running?

Did you ever drive it with low fluid and notice it slipping?

If you have a Reduced Engine Power light, did you try to restart it?

Does it drive away from a stop weak or strong then not shift?

What exactly did you do when you dropped the pan?

Could be low on fluid, starving of fluid, did this happen all of a sudden or over a short period of time?

It was changed yesterday. Yes it was checked on level ground hot and engine running. Started slipping a little bit on my way to work checked fluid and it was a little low. Never have noticed a reduced engine power light. Drives away strong can get it to 30 but then the engine revs like its in neutral. Then it won't drive above 10. When I took pan off let fluid drain, cleaned pan like I always have cleared gasket off of pan, changed filter, and two shift solenoids. Basically happened all of s sudden. Fluid is full now.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Tried to go to 1,2,3 gears yet or just D?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
10mph is such a weird area for it to stop, when my trannys legitimately Broke I would be stuck in a gear redlining but why 10mph??:confused: and you have no drivetrain codes or ANYTHING? My transmission knowledge is "take it to the shop" but I have not heard a problem like yours

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
STLtrailbSS said:
10mph is such a weird area for it to stop, when my trannys legitimately Broke I would be stuck in a gear redlining but why 10mph??:confused: and you have no drivetrain codes or ANYTHING? My transmission knowledge is "take it to the shop" but I have not heard a problem like yours

He said a few posts above he can get it up to 30. "Drives away strong can get it to 30 but then the engine revs like its in neutral."

Why did you change the shift solenoids? Did you have an error code pointing to them? Did they test outside of acceptable resistance? Are you sure you reconnected them properly?

Can you really wind it up in first (I'm talking floor it until it hits ~40 mph) and get it to skip over second and go to third gear? You'll need the selector in "3". If it doesn't have to do with the shift solenoids, you have probably either burned up your second clutch, destroyed the band/it isn't holding the input drum, or broken your sunshell. Go to a transmission shop unless you are very, very mechanically inclined. Or get a used transmission.

grizzly4x4

Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
dfc739 said:
He said a few posts above he can get it up to 30. "Drives away strong can get it to 30 but then the engine revs like its in neutral."

Why did you change the shift solenoids? Did you have an error code pointing to them? Did they test outside of acceptable resistance? Are you sure you reconnected them properly?

Can you really wind it up in first (I'm talking floor it until it hits ~40 mph) and get it to skip over second and go to third gear? You'll need the selector in "3". If it doesn't have to do with the shift solenoids, you have probably either burned up your second clutch, destroyed the band/it isn't holding the input drum, or broken your sunshell. Go to a transmission shop unless you are very, very mechanically inclined. Or get a used transmission.

I was given a code then changed the solenoids it cleared code out. When u first take off u can hit 30 but then it just revs up like it is in neutral. Then it will only let you go 10 if u go above 10 it just revs like in neutral.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I believe the shift solenoids have their connectors wired in such a way it's hard to get them reversed, but it's possible. First thing is to stop driving it before you smoke a clutch pack. You need to pull the pan again and see what's going on.

What code did you get?

Did you get a deep pan filter?

Are the shift solenoid harnesses the only ones you removed? Did you reverse the connections.? Are the solenoids from the dealer?

Are you absolutely sure you fully seated the shift solenoids?

Did you get the spring clip back in for both solenoids? Check again?

Did you leave the old filter seal alone or replace it?

Are you checking both sides of the dipstick? Use the lower reading.

The trans will start from a stop in 1st gear in 1,3,D.....it will start in 2nd when in "2" if you keep the accel pedal below WOT.

Once you have ensured everything else is correct, try starting in 2nd...if it won't move then that could be bad. Hopefully you just have a screwy solenoid and didn't fry a clutch pack.

Just a tip, anyone who gets into a situation where the trans doesn't feel right or won't shift, don't rev it up or try to drive it. Sometimes it's just low fluid, faulty solenoid, maybe something simple....but a partially engaged clutch from low pressure will burn up real quick if allowed to slip, then it's a 4-digit repair bill.

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
gmcman said:
I believe the shift solenoids have their connectors wired in such a way it's hard to get them reversed, but it's possible. First thing is to stop driving it before you smoke a clutch pack. You need to pull the pan again and see what's going on.

What code did you get?

Did you get a deep pan filter?

Are the shift solenoid harnesses the only ones you removed? Did you reverse the connections.? Are the solenoids from the dealer?

Did you leave the old filter seal alone or replace it?

Are you checking both sides of the dipstick? Use the lower reading.

The trans will start from a stop in 1st gear in 1,3,D.....it will start in 2nd when in "2" if you keep the accel pedal below WOT.

Once you have ensured everything else is correct, try starting in 2nd...if it won't move then that could be bad. Hopefully you just have a screwy solenoid and didn't fry a clutch pack.

Just a tip, anyone who gets into a situation where the trans doesn't feel right or won't shift, don't rev it up or try to drive it. Sometimes it's just low fluid, faulty solenoid, maybe something simple....but a partially engaged clutch from low pressure will burn up real quick if allowed to slip, then it's a 4-digit repair bill.

One of the shift solenoids has a stout spring behind it. I could see if he didn't get it back in it might cause these problems. And yes, that's good advice about not revving it up if you have tranny problems. Except here he has probably already burned the clutch or band. If it needs a rebuild you might as well have some fun with it...

jstrut

Jul 31, 2013
I had the same thing happened, and when I took it in they reprogrammed the computers and found a reduced engine power code that wouldn't allow it to leave limp mode or be reprogrammed properly once they clear the code it would go through. it cost me $65 for the reprogram and it ran perfect after that. $65 is better the transmission if that's not even the problem.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
gmcman said:

My questions too. From the description this didn't give any trouble until the fluid change and solenoid replacement.

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
recently i was on my way to town and my clutch fan crapped out. and wouldnt go above 30 mph and sounded like a jet engine cuz the revs would shoot thru the roof. fixed the fan and problem went away.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online