'02 Trailblazer VERY rough after warmup (OK while still cold)

02TBLTZ

Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Just started happening, car was perfect before last Friday. so perfect that I jinxed myself by marveling at how excellent it was a few weeks ago, 137k all my driving. :frown:

Here are the symptoms:
Runs fine until warm
When warm, REALLY rough, seemingly un-drivable
CEL flashed a bunch of times
Doesn't seem to be overheating, but did overheat once about 20,000 miles ago when the water pump gave out.

Took it to autozone. No codes stored according to them.

Took it to a mechanic, claims #3 and #6 cyl misfires, says I need a head gasket and to have the head machined, etc. that I blew the head gasket. $3,300 including 20+hrs labor and getting the head machined. Claims he did a leak down test and #3 and #6 are really low on compression, but provided no documentation. Charged $70 for diag,which I understand to be really low if he did a leak down test.

Plugs are the AC-Delco, replaced maybe 10,000 miles ago (by me)
Coolant looks as expected, clear, reddish pink, no milk or floaters
Oil looks as expected, clean as a whistle, no froth/milk

Took off resonator and it doesn't look like the plugs had been pulled since I pulled them. None of the nuts had the dust knocked off of them that you would expect after being exposed to a socket. Wondering whether the mechanic is reliable or not. His shop was empty on a friday afternoon, and he's a new player in town.

I've pulled the TB. Yes, it's dirty. Cleaning it today.
I've pulled the CPAS. Only the furthest screen had any oil on it, oil was clean. The plastic part of the CPAS was caked with black stuff, looked like dirt and oil. Ordering the Dorman one from Amazon maybe?

I don't have a code scanner,,,willing to buy one if someone will recommend a good one that is cheap. I have a bunch of laptops so it doesn't have to be bluetooth.

Any other ideas on what I might check? I can't imagine the problem being a blown head gasket given the state of the oil and the antifreeze.

Really scared to drive it, so a 2nd opinion at the dealer will be a tow-in job.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
When you clean the TB, don't for forget to either disconnect the battery or pull the PCM fuse/s for about 30 minutes.

02TBLTZ

Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Matt said:
When you clean the TB, don't for forget to either disconnect the battery or pull the PCM fuse/s for about 30 minutes.

Pulled the battery last night before tackling the TB. It didn't look like a hard job to get it out of there, but when stuff has been untouched for 12 years, it's dirty and the plastic is brittle. Plus those wiring harness plugs are nearly impossible to get apart.

I have another vehicle at my disposal, so time isn't an issue.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If it doesn't look like the mechanic even touched the plug wells, I don't think I'd trust him to machine the head, which would be more like a quote-unquote style of "machining" I would suspect.

I myself went Genuine GM for the CPAS, the price was right ($44 shipped) and I don't know how Dormans do, but there's a bunch of other crap on the platform that's extremely particular about the brand it seems."

And if you have an Android phone, you can get the Torque app for like $5 I think on Google Play store, and I think the dongle that attaches to the OBD-II is either cheap or free, can't remember (I don't have this setup). Does everything you need it to, and is overall dirt dirt cheap, and the dongle is bluetooth so you can set your phone wherever within a few feet that it's convenient to watch the readout.

02TBLTZ

Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
TB runs perfectly after cleaning the throttle body and replacing the CPAS (which was almost 100% surely not needed). It was really angry during the relearn process and threw a P0300 (bought a cheap scanner, too!!)

Thank you, GMTNation for your help. You should saved me a heap of cash!

Now, what should I do? Light the mechanic up on Yelp, or send him a helpful email telling him how to do his job? It's a relatively new chain but they have 10+ locations already.

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
Glad to see you have corrected your problems :smile:
I have found that many so called mechanics are nothing more than parts replacers !
I love them as I am a counterman at an auto parts store... lol But also very frustrating that you know they are just wasting somebody's hard earned cash.
As for a inexpensive code scanner that will allow you to see live data I recommend Autel -AL319.
This is ONE GREAT group of individuals ! I have learned alot and read more of the older posts daily.
Knowledge is POWER ! :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online