02 no start now but no dash cluster 1st

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I wondered where all the knowledgeable folks had went from TV. I was pointed this direction. See roadie here. :cool:

First off I lost my dash cluster gauges.
Came back from in from golf got in the envoy started it up and no gauges came on at all . All 6 just 0 left side plus no total mileage shown in area that shows mileage and trip miles drove etc.

Everything worked perfect till came back in today. Checked 24 fuse and it's good.

Mileage being out too threw me a curve because I cant keep track of mileage driven for gas.

The gear selector area isnt shown either.

How does the ignition effect this in my problem in last 2 post, just in case?

I pulled the cluster and cleaned all the contacts on back etc

May gauges and odometer and shift indicator all came back on for drive to work. When I left today not working again.
crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.-dyl4UhEaW.gif

Did anyone try cleaning connections to the under hood fuse box? Mine had some green corrosion.

I cleaned all terminals to the fuse box under hood and pulled the 125mega fuse thing to clean it too.

I am only making things worse. Now my 02 envoy wont start after doing all this stuff trying to get my IP working again.
I cleaned all the terminals going into fuse box under hood. I checked fuses and changed them just in case 22 24.
I cleaned the back of IP board etc.

I can hear things click running under hood and inside area but no start.

I'm only making it worse and cant start to even check to see if last fix worked.

Help I am at a loss to figure this out. What about the security system? Think it has crime stopper for remote start.

Tried the remote start. Thinking security stuff. Everything click runs under hood like it is setting start, but no start.
Even the a/c etc all come on just like it is set. Hit brake to turn everything off without key.

Sorry folks for being confusing, I am trying to piece to threads with 2 different problems over last 2-3 days.

Today I hook both side of batt back up after setting over nite. When getting in I noticed entry lights didnt come on.

Then tried to start. It started.

Dash and all 6 gauges still not working, shift indicator nor the odometer or info center area.

Noticed radio come on go off. Lights get bright then dim on radio then dash. 4x4 shift indicator lights all light up then off then up and then off.

So I turn off restart. Turn off restart. Make sure that was good.

So I turn key to on but not try to start. Pull PCM B and PCM I and the 4x4 module for 5-10mins. Turn key of reinstall all fueses and no start again.

Can hear the clicking etc under hood area when trying to start, but not the starter. Sounds like relay etc.

So fellows I am in way over my head on this 02 envoy xl right now.

Any leads on what may be going on?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
My first two guesses would be bad grounds or a flakey ignition switch.

As far as grounds: there's one on the fender near the battery and fuse box, there are two on the lower driver's side of the engine block and there's one under the carpet on the transmission hump near your shin. I don't recall exactly where. I would find, clean and tighten all of them.

Next it would be worthwhile to replace your ignition switch. They do flake out and cause all sorts of erratic electrical behavior. Not expensive or particularly difficult--even if it doesn't solve your issue it wouldn't be a waste.

Final thought:
Check your connections for the remote start too. Those tap heavily into the various ignition circuits and if it wasn't wired in securely it could very well be causing all sorts of havoc :thumbsup:

Reactions: GMfever

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Agreed. Glad you located us. It's not like we hid where we went, but the new owners of trailvoy are threatened by our ability to drain eyeballs that would otherwise be subjected to their ads. So they tried to scrub any mention of the new site off of their site. Greedy selfish goofballs who dont' care for the community and helping members.

Do you have a meter and have you traced the signals at the ignition switch yet? Trying to solve electrical problems without a meter and schematics is like trying to create a gourmet meal with half the ingredients missing, dull knives, with a bag over your head.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Roadie I know what you mean about sites worried about sponsor crap and money made from it. Same reason I started my own ad free chainsaw repair site to help folks out.

I got a meter but not the smartest cookie using it. Just basics.

Friday it was still acting weird so I just cleaned everything I could that wasnt already. Some more grounds etc. Hook the batt back up tried and still just relay etc clicking under hood. So I left it over nite. Sat morning before leaving on a trip. I tried to start it and it started. I shut it off and left.

Today I went to start it and everything is back to normal except the dash 6 gauges, odometer, driver info center not working like in beginning.

So as mentioned above and just in case. I threw a ignition switch in it. Still the same, everything works except the 6 dash gauges, odometer, driver info center.. Least I am back to just the IP cluster being down.

Thinking about seeing if the junk yards have one and installing it. Would this work you think if it is just my mo board in my IP cluster went bad?
Could that puter on the left side of engine have anything to do with this?

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Interesting read I just come across.

Condition
Some customers may comment that at times all the IPC gauges are inoperative or read zero at times.

Cause
The IPC cluster module receives information to position the gauges when the key is turned from OFF to ON/START. Random electrical interference with this data information on the serial data line may interrupt the receipt of the information by the IPC. When the IPC data information signal is compromised, the IPC will set the gauges to zero for that complete ignition cycle. The gauges may work properly on the next ignition cycle, if the ignition was off for approximately five minutes prior to the next ignition cycle.

Correction
  1. Re-Program the IPC following normal SPS procedures (TIS Version 8.0 released July 2002, or newer).
  2. Clear all codes.
  3. Disconnect the Tech 2 and return the vehicle to the customer.

• Love
Reactions: 808

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I had no codes before when 1st happened and no codes today. Just so we know that too.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Have you checked grounds? I know the one on the transmission hump can interfere with interior electronics. It's on the passenger side behind the carpet panel with the screw. It'll have a cluster of black wires ruining to a small connector-like thing that has a ring on it which is screwed to the floor.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Mounce said:
Have you checked grounds? I know the one on the transmission hump can interfere with interior electronics. It's on the passenger side behind the carpet panel with the screw. It'll have a cluster of black wires ruining to a small connector-like thing that has a ring on it which is screwed to the floor.
Thats one of the ones I havent got to yet. Slowly going through them. Thanks.

Reactions: Mounce

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Pulled the center console up and did the one under the carpeted area. It was not looking bad at all to begin with. Cleaned everything up and put back. Still no cluster info.
Found 3 more grounds under hood so pulled and cleaned them too. Still nothing.

I am thinking the cluster has just bit the dust. Like I said in beginning it came back on once same day it went dead about 4-5hrs later , but went right back out next start 8 hrs later.

Thinking of trying to find a good cluster to put in to try and see.

Anything else I'm not thinking of trying?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I seem to remember the truck will start and drive around just fine without a cluster, so I think it's showing that there are data bus problems, not necessarily the CAUSE of the data bus problems. A good data bus between the BCM and the PCM is required to pass the security check, so I'd be troubleshooting the data bus using the two comm splice packs next. Those have been discussed in other threads that are searchable.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
The_Roadie said:
I seem to remember the truck will start and drive around just fine without a cluster, so I think it's showing that there are data bus problems, not necessarily the CAUSE of the data bus problems. A good data bus between the BCM and the PCM is required to pass the security check, so I'd be troubleshooting the data bus using the two comm splice packs next. Those have been discussed in other threads that are searchable.
Thanks for ideas. Thats all new to me so searching info out. :cool:

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Do you think it could be this? More of what I had posted earlier.

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Gauges Read Zero at Times, Gauges Inoperative at Times (Reprogram IPC) #02-08-49-004A - (Nov 1, 2002)
Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Gauges Read Zero at Times, Gauges Inoperative at Times (Reprogram IPC)

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2002 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

This bulletin is being revised to change the service procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-08-49-004 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).
Condition

Some customers may comment that at times all the IPC gauges are inoperative or read zero at times.
Cause

The IPC cluster module receives information to position the gauges when the key is turned from OFF to ON/START. Random electrical interference with this data information on the serial data line may interrupt the receipt of the information by the IPC. When the IPC data information signal is compromised, the IPC will set the gauges to zero for that complete ignition cycle. The gauges may work properly on the next ignition cycle, if the ignition was off for approximately five minutes prior to the next ignition cycle.
Diagnostic Aid

With the Tech 2®, determine the IPC software part number using the following procedure.

1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
2. Power up the Tech 2.
3. From the main menu, Press Enter.
4. Select F0: Diagnostics.
5. Select the correct model year.
6. Select: Ld Trk.
7. Select F1: Body
8. Select the proper vehicle line
9. Select the proper name plate.
10. Select the HVAC type.
11. Select Instrument Panel Cluster.
12. Select F4: ID Information.
13. Select F1: Module Information 2
14. If the IPC software part number is 09363270 or 15085477, re-program the IPC.

Correction

1. Re-Program the IPC following normal SPS procedures (TIS Version 8.0 released July 2002, or newer).
2. Clear all codes.
3. Disconnect the Tech 2 and return the vehicle to the customer.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
KNBlazer said:
If you can, disconnect the remote start, and go from there....
Remote start and everything else is back to normal, except cluster. No problems. Matter of fact used the remote start this morning.

Only the original problem now. No gauges, odometer, driver info center from dash cluster.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
02 envoy recall was on this it sounds like.

2003-03-21

(Published by NHTSA on 2003-03-21)

Recall Summary:

CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS NO. 101, "CONTROL LOCATION, IDENTIFICATION, AND ILLUMINATION" AND NO. 208, "OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION." THESE VEHICLES HAVE AN INTERMITTENT CONDITION DURING VEHICLE START-UP IN WHICH THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER MAY NOT PROPERLY POWER UP, RESULTING IN MOST OF THE DISPLAYS, TELLTALE LIGHTS, AND FUNCTIONS (EXCEPT THE SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT, TURN SIGNAL INDICATORS, AND THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER BACKLIGHTING) BEING INOPERATIVE.

Hazard:

THESE VEHICLES DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE STANDARD.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 29, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, GMC AT 1-800-462-8782, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537.

Additional Info:

CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

NHTSA Source:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=03V096000

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Re-Program the IPC following normal SPS procedures (TIS Version 8.0 released July 2002, or newer

I might be onto something from looking at above info. My envoy was built 06/2001

So how would I go about contacting my local dealer to have same reprogrammed.
Then get them to understand what I am asking about without going through a hour of their diagnostic testing for maybe no reason.

Guessing this is a dealer only deal?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's a dealer-only deal. Some of them are crooks who INSIST on charging you $95 for a diagnostic charge even if you TELL them what the problem is like a bad thermostat. And then they charge an hour minimum labor for getting their Tech II tool out of its velvet lined storage case and carrying it on a gold braid rimmed pillow over to your vehicle to do 5 minutes worth of work that in any other consumer product would be a USB download. Or in the case of Tesla - an automatic built-in cellular connection update like any smartphone over-the-air fix.

stock-photo-butler-holding-a-velvet-pillow-in-front-of-his-torso-183010571.jpg

Reactions: KNBlazer

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
If I am reading this right. If I would install a 03 or later IPC or a 02 built after July. I wouldnt have to do the reprogram on mine if that is the problem. Am I thinking right on this below.

So will a 03 plug and play on my 02 built 06/01? Would it matter if from trailblazer?

I know roadie or someone helped me do this updating my heater module from 02 to 03 updated one.

Service Procedure
Some vehicles involved in this customer satisfaction program may have had their instrument panel cluster (IPC) replaced prior to this program. As a result, the replacement cluster may not need to be reprogrammed.

To determine whether the IPC in the vehicle requires reprogramming, the following procedure must be performed.
Important: The Tech 2 diagnostic tool must be updated with software version 8.0, released July 2002, or newer, in order to perform the reprogramming.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I'm seeing up to 04 would fit in my early 02. So the IPC will have the updated software already and just plug in and work maybe?

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
FIXED SOLVED

Told my wife I would dance like a leprechaun if my idea works. Well I need some beer to dance like a leprechaun. :yes:

Guys if you have a older 02 before July 02 like mine it is the software updated needed I posted above or cluster gone alseep bad etc.

I found a junkyard that would let me try a 2004 xl IPC and I heard it wake when plugged in. Only thing the fuel gauge needed the $10 part. I ask if they had another one. They said a 2003 but not a xl. I said it dont matter IMO would you have them pull it and let me try it. They did and it sounded and woke just like the 04 one and all the gauges , odometer and info ceter all work.

Just so you guys know 02 03 04 work in 02 and best if July 02 and after for newest software. Unless you want to go to dealer for the updates and hope it wakes up.

Thanks guys.............. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online