02 Envoy Window Regulator Cable Snapped - Help

paulcmartin

Original poster
May 13, 2013
I popped the driver rear door panel off to find the my regulator still works fine. Everything is good, but my cable snapped. I don't want to spend $140 if I don't have to, I'm looking online to see if there is a way to just replace the cable itself in the system. I'm not seeing anything here or anywhere else, everyone seems to recommend replacing the whole unit. If anyone has had this problem, or has a link to a thread I would be so appreciative. It's getting hot & I can't stand only being able to roll down 3 windows. Thank you.:confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Check Ebay and rockauto.com as well. Never heard of anybody replacing just the cable, but you can always check a home store and see if you can match the wire gauge in the garage door repair parts section. I'm guessing the ends of the cable are swaged or somehow very well connected using some sort of custom fitting that's installed using some specially-designed tool nobody will have outside the aftermarket companies. You could spend 3-4 hours trying to save $120 and ultimately give up. YMMV.

c good

Dec 8, 2011
Pretty much impossible to replace cable. I got a used regulator for mine from a junkyard. $60.00 Easy 30 minute fix.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I've never seen or heard of just the cable being replaced either...

I think the whole assembly can be had for around $120 from the local parts store or Rockauto... I just replaced my drivers door regulator a few weeks ago because the cable started grinding and ultimately stopped the window from going up or down...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Any warning signs leading up to the cable breaking? I've noticed my driver side front window is starting to squeak when going down.

paulcmartin

Original poster
May 13, 2013
I had my front passenger squeaking for a long while, I cleaned and greased the tracks & it went away. No, there was no warning, I went to roll it down & It made a sharp electric sound, like a motor whirring. Then it was done.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online