02 Bravada a/c compressor noise?

1978chevy4x4

Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
I have an 02 Bravada that is making a sound under the hood. Sounds like a wobbling air compressor. It makes the sound when the a/c is off and the engine is at lower rpm. As soon as I turn the a/c on and the clutch locks up it stops. Also all pulleys are tight except the power steering , it has 1/16 to 1/8 inch of play from front to rear. Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues. Im leaning toward ac compressor clutch. Also the a/c still works fine. Thanks guys

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sounds like the bearings for the compressor clutch are going bad. I think they are replaceable without replacing the whole AC compressor.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, it is, but it isn't what I'd call an easy fix because finding the right parts is hard. "Officially" there is no repairing it, so there are no real part numbers for a clutch pulley bearing or even the entire pulley. GM just would have you replace the entire compressor :rolleyes:

I got a new bearing for mine off ebay, but I no longer recall the specs of it. I ended up having to buy a used compressor at the junk yard to get a replacement clutch and pulley also as my original was somehow worn almost all the way through :eek: I still put the new bearing on it as I didn't want to have to do that job again as it was a bit of a pain having to take apart half the front end it seemed just to get to that darn thing :hissyfit:

1978chevy4x4

Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks guys, I was leaning toward the bearing because the ac works fine. It does look like it will be quite the project to get it apart.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I searched for air parts inc.

And sent a message from inside E-Bay to airpartsinc. And told them what I wanted, (for car model, year and so on.)

They sent back a link to an e-bay post, which included shipping.

eBay My World - airpartsinc

and click on contact member ( you will need an e-bay account.)

if you do not have e-bay account, you could also call:
AIR PARTS INC. 1133 N. Magnolia Ave Ocala, Florida 34475 Toll Free # 800-223-7167

Hope they hook you up with what you need

I got a clutch rebuild kit. includes coil, bearing, clutch and a couple shims.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giggy

Members Online