XUV Driveable cooler - ultimate tailgate vehicle

Billdaman

Original poster
Jan 19, 2012
Wanted to do this for years and finally got the opportunity for my daughters graduation party. We chilled hundreds of beverages for the kids and the adults in 80+ temperatures for 6 hours. It worked like a massive ice chest except for the steady trickle of water dripping down on the ground out of the mid-gate water trough. Approximately 13 - 20# bags filled the rear cargo area about 3/4 way up the mid-gate at the start. It shrunk several inches over the next few hours. It was easiest to access the drinks with the gate in swing mode, however we occasionally dug from the back seat through the mid-gate glass opening to get at some deeply buried Capri sun's.

Clean up was a breeze, I just used a snow shovel to empty it out! :smile:

Here's what I started with:

Here's the remaining ice and beverages after about 5 hours in the sun:

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
That's awesome!! :cool:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, what mike said. My good friend has an avalanche and one of my favorite parts is icing down the lockboxes full of beer before we go out for a day on the beach or lake. It is awesome. I have always wondered what an XUV would do when packed full of ice!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Depending on how hot it is, I would be to tempted to jump in the back and cool off.. hmm.. That's not a bad idear.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online