• Only in an emergency situation

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
20160930_071956.jpg

This morning the only entrance/exit to my neighborhood looked like this. Based on the water levels on the vehicles that tried to make it, it was at least 18" (although over 24" is possible). While the tow trucks were busy unsticking cars, and neighbors were talking about the situation, a state trooper pointed at my trailblazer and said "if that was my car, I'd go through it".

Well that got me thinking, since we all pretty much have or had the same trucks, would you guys drive through this?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'd consider it, although I think I'd probably do it in reverse. Have the wake leave a nice dip in front of the grille for air to get in. I trust my lift gate is sealed well enough that any water that came up over the rear bumper would stay on the outside. :undecided:

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
I would do it with confidence with time to prepare... otherwise I would only do it if an emergency and it was the better choice

Reactions: MAY03LT

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Unless there was some reason I had to at least try to get through it, I'd probably not bother. Couldn't be sure there wasn't a deep spot or current in that that just wasn't obvious.

Then again, if I had a snorkel kit on the intake.... :wink:

Glad you skipped it and didn't end up like your neighbor!

Cheers-

Chris

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Nope, I would have set it out. Unless I had to be someplace important then it would have been a crawl in the Silverado...

Apr 23, 2016
Tennessee
I would like to say I wouldn't do it and tried to be safe, but then again there would be that buddy that would of said no balls and then I would of regretted not doing it, so yeah I would of risked it...not to go to work but just to say I did it. What was your neighbor driving that had the accident?

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
So you drive through this...how long does it take to exchange your rear end fluid after it fills with water (which came in through the vent), realize after leaving this water hole you attempt to stop and your brakes arn't for you forgot to drive while holding your brake pedal down and you crash into that tree that just jumped out in front of you, and that pot hole which formed since the rain came just bent your rim and caused the tire to split open. So maybe you drive through this mess, but you now need to rebuild your rear-end cause your gears and bearings are shot, you lost a tire and rim, and insurance rates go up due to that tree which jumped out in front of you. Sounds like fun to me. On second thought I would pass or maybe wait around a while filming others trying to go through this and uploading it to youtube for everyone to laugh at. Or go talk to an old buddy and use his Amphicar to drive through this.

redbeard
You may not like guns.
That is your right.
You may not believe in God.
That is your choice.
But if someone breaks into your
home, the first two things
are going to do are…
1. Call someone with a gun
2. Pray they get there is time

Reactions: hrddrv and MAY03LT

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Couldn't be sure there wasn't a deep spot or current in that that just wasn't obvious.

Exactly. We got enough rain locally that some roads collapsed (ours did not) and there's no way to tell until it's too late.

but then again there would be that buddy that would of said no balls

I'm sure I'm going to get this kind of flack when I go back to work on Monday LOL

What was your neighbor driving that had the accident?

A comparable size SUV with a blue oval on the front.:lipsrsealed:

So you drive through this...how long does it take to exchange your rear end fluid after it fills with water (which came in through the vent)

A lot less time then the mini suv that sucked water up the intake.:eek:

The thing that I don't get is the property damage. Tire tracks in someones yard is not property damage. It's not like my 62 year old neighbor was 4 wheeling LOL.

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Years ago I saw a 70's F-250 high boy drive into a hole in a flooded road. apparently the storm sewer under the road had also washed out. All you could see was just the tail gate above the water line. Always smart not to drive into what you can not see. ~BOB

Reactions: hrddrv and MAY03LT

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah it isn't so much the depth of the water but rather I'd be concerned about what I can't see below the surface (washed out road, caved drains, etc)

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If the water level was below 2 feet I would under 1 condition. I would have to know nothing is washed out. Iirc the intake inlet is higher than 24 inches in the engine bay... but I don't think I'd chance it. Now in my dad's situation, if my aunt was at work and he sent her that picture on our block her response would be "it's fine here hurry up you got work." Luckily the sierra is a company truck so if anything were to break it doesn't matter to us. But no I wouldn't do it unless it was absolutely necessary.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Drew, is that a person swimming in the left side of the picture? :blinkhuh:

Nonetheless, I wouldn't unless there was something really going on. I mean if I had a more capable truck like Kyle's, that would probably increase the chances but, you'll be the center of attention as soon as you go in. Wouldn't want to be that guy who gets stuck. And honestly, you could cause more damage than it worth just by missing one day of work.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hell yes I would have. You get the speed right and create a wave in front and the water is a non-issue. Stuff underneath is always an unknown when i cross water like this, so no worries.

Later this day I ended up driving across the pond in the background and it was about midway up doors for a bit then stayed about 6 inches over rockers.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Originally, I was going to say I'd do it if the truck had a snorkel kit (my main worry being hydrolock).

Then I read the last few posts concerning what might / might not be underneath the surface of the water. Nope.

Then I looked at the larger version of the picture, and judged the water height by the stop sign.

Hell, No.

Not unless I had Hardtrailz' rig, since he apparently isn't a stranger to this type of thing :hail:

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Not a chance in my stock '02 LS. I've seen cars get swept away in six inches of water. I have no desire to be on the news getting rescued from the roof of my truck by a helicopter.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Oh hell no, not a chance in hell even if I was lifted instead of lowered.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
In the stock 02 Envoy or my stock 99 Suburban - I wouldn't go anywhere near that. In my lifted 77 Suburban, I would try it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online