Woke up today & P1345!

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Thanks Guys! :biggrin:

I might be out of the woods with the P1345 & P0014 but after watching my live data yesterday, I bet Ill get a P0170/P0171 next. My ST & LT fuel trims were bizarre- at times they were hovering around 0, most of the time they were up in the high teens though, and not much time in the negative fuel trim zone either. Ive watched this closely before this experience and they never went into the high teens. I dont know if its the PCM relearning (because I disconnected the battery to replace the CPAS) or if I have a vacuum leak. :confused:

I noticed yesterday that I didnt put the clamp back on my brake booster hose, although its on the port fully. I wonder if not having the clamp on would cause a big enough vacuum leak to lean me out? In the meantime Im going to continue celebrating my success :wootwoot: But if that light comes back on today Im going to be finding babies to punch...lol

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Thanks Guys! :biggrin:

I might be out of the woods with the P1345 & P0014 but after watching my live data yesterday, I bet Ill get a P0170/P0171 next. My ST & LT fuel trims were bizarre- at times they were hovering around 0, most of the time they were up in the high teens though, and not much time in the negative fuel trim zone either. Ive watched this closely before this experience and they never went into the high teens. I dont know if its the PCM relearning (because I disconnected the battery to replace the CPAS) or if I have a vacuum leak. :confused:

I noticed yesterday that I didnt put the clamp back on my brake booster hose, although its on the port fully. I wonder if not having the clamp on would cause a big enough vacuum leak to lean me out? In the meantime Im going to continue celebrating my success :wootwoot: But if that light comes back on today Im going to be finding babies to punch...lol

Just to update the thread, I found my lean mixture problem!! I forgot to tighten the two lower TB bolts :redface: I replaced the gasket today, and found the two lower TB bolts completely loose. I bet I got interrupted or something. This is great news b/c I was getting a bad hesitation whenever I pressed the gas and a stutter around 2000rpms- gone now! And my LTFT went down from 13.2 to 3.2 and fluctuates between that and 10.1 and -2.3 :wootwoot:

MedicatedMike said:
So glad you got it figured out! Congrats!

*Invites him over to forget everything lol

:biggrin: Ill be over in a few! lol. Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely great news for ya! :wootwoot: I will take your experiences with me when I do mine since I'm getting the same P1345 on cold starts. It will have to wait until it's warmer though :cool:

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mooseman said:
Definitely great news for ya! :wootwoot: I will take your experiences with me when I do mine since I'm getting the same P1345 on cold starts. It will have to wait until it's warmer though :cool:

I know you replaced you CPAS (It IS delco, right?) but have you replaced the wiring pigtail? Mine was oil soaked very far back into the wiring harness, I had to clean up the wires real good before I could solder them.

And if you have any questions when its time, hmu! Ill try my best to help ya out :cool:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My wiring was good and it was a GM CPAS I installed. Did the same as you, changing both sensors and then the CPAS with several CASE relearns.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mooseman said:
My wiring was good and it was a GM CPAS I installed. Did the same as you, changing both sensors and then the CPAS with several CASE relearns.

Do you by any chance have access to a TECH II?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeppers! On a limited basis but saves a few bucks at the stealership. My employer has its own garage and has one I can borrow on site :smile:

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mooseman said:
Yeppers! On a limited basis but saves a few bucks at the stealership. My employer has its own garage and has one I can borrow on site :smile:

Just out of curiosity have you ever had the TECH II hooked up and in the variable cam section at cold startup, when its throwing the P1345? I'd be real interested to know what the actual cam timing is vs. the commanded.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Just out of curiosity have you ever had the TECH II hooked up and in the variable cam section at cold startup, when its throwing the P1345? I'd be real interested to know what the actual cam timing is vs. the commanded.

Unfortunately, no since I can't bring the TechII home. I guess they don't trust me with this valuable piece of equipment :biggrin:. I did manually change the valve timing via the actuator and it was responding correctly but on a warm engine. It may have deteriorated since then since gas mileage has gone downhill.

cmatt

Feb 24, 2012
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Just picked up my new DELCO CPAS and wiring harness. Got them at cost (score!)...my friend Dave rocks. $37 for the CPAS and $18 for the GM wiring harness. In comparison, I paid $65 for the Dorman CPAS at O'Reilly :wootwoot: I found the wiring harness at NAPA for $28. So Im happy at least, to save a bunch of bucks. Last time I went, he saved me $100 on the actuator itself and the gaskets, I got him a fifth of Gentleman Jack :cool: It definitely pays to have a friend in the parts department!!

Any chance you still have the GM / ACD part number for the wiring harness? I replaced the CPAS in my wife's Envoy, but did not do anything with the wiring. However, I did notice the wires were saturated as well.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Cmatt......I changed my sensor when it was leaking but hadn't thrown a code yet...had oil all in the connector. I sprayed it with some CRC electronics cleaner and it works fine. You may try that before replacing the harness.

Spalding1028

Jan 20, 2012
Not to derail the thread, but I spent my last two years of high school taking an automotive class, and the Tech II is the sexiest piece of diagnostic equipment I've used to date... How I'd love to get my hands on one of those

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would be very wary of any of these cheap Chinese knockoffs. Looked at them and read that some died within a few days or a few weeks. And you can't get them fixed as the real Tech2 makers won't even touch them. Good luck getting in touch with the sellers, mostly sleazebay peddlers.

Buyer beware!

Edit: Remembered that this eBay seller explains the clones
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GM-TECH-2-SC...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4cfee96978

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Do you happen to have the part number of the actuator?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

anthonyl79

Jul 15, 2012
Colorado
I learned my lesson. I replaced my enigne a year ago. 120K, spun rod bearings 1 & 6, made a weird noise, did not sound like rod bearings. Installed a junk yard low milage motor. Replaced the CPAS with a Dorman unit from Oreilley's. Pluged it in and it was bad right off the bat. Called the dealership and the ACDelco version was in stock and cheaper than was I had paid before from the parts store. I don't use any sensors that are not from the facotry now.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Where did you get the Kent-moore tools? Im about to do this job myself and have everything but those.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
EBay, where else? :cool:

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Right of course, would you happen to have the info of the seller? Thanks for the help

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It was a one off. Not at home right now so can't look up the number. I might sell mine or rent them out or something.

Steevo

Oct 7, 2012
So Mitch,

It seems you had a bad dorman CPAS.
Maybe a bad actuator.
Maybe a bad wiring harness.
You threw a bunch of stuff at it.

So what do you think it really was?

I had that P0014 code which seems to largely be from dirt, sludge, etc in the engine. about 1 1/2 year ago.
I changed mine which was leaking, there was oil in the connector.
I put in a GM OEM one, and the code went away.

Then it came back.
I put some Rislone in and left it for an oil change, SES lite went out.
Then came back intermittently.
I put some Marvel Mystery Oil in and left it for an oil change. SES lite went out.
I put some Seafoam in twice, for two oil changes. SES lite went out.
It's on again today, but it was off a few days ago.

I suspect your main problem was the CPAS, and maybe maybe the round actuator.
Or wiring.

I have to wonder if in my case the problem is the oil soaked connector. I don't really think there is anything wrong with the engine at all. It works OK AFAICT.

Jerseyrider

Dec 11, 2013
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Yeah, he clears the codes each time hes hooked up the TECH II - sometimes clearing the codes multiple times (b/c they keep coming back). I also have an EQUUS 3130 that I clear the codes with on my own.

Just picked up my new DELCO CPAS and wiring harness. Got them at cost (score!)...my friend Dave rocks. $37 for the CPAS and $18 for the GM wiring harness. In comparison, I paid $65 for the Dorman CPAS at O'Reilly :wootwoot: I found the wiring harness at NAPA for $28. So Im happy at least, to save a bunch of bucks. Last time I went, he saved me $100 on the actuator itself and the gaskets, I got him a fifth of Gentleman Jack :cool: It definitely pays to have a friend in the parts department!!

If you remember, what was the part number for the Delco harness?

Jerseyrider

Dec 11, 2013
Thank you.:thumbsup:

I think it's the one numbered, PT1315. However, I fixed my issue by replacing the CPAS and cleaning out the connector as it was filled with oil. All this began when I changed my oil and decided to add "Restore" engine restorer in the silver can. What a nightmare! It just goes to show that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." There was nothing wrong with my truck but I figured because the mileage is so high, it might help. Well, 3 consecutive oil changes and one new CPAS later, my truck runs better than it did before this debacle. I had a minor hesitation right off idle when I would step on the gas and now it's gone and it seems to have more power in general. I had the P1345 code pop up and it hasn't come back so far one day later. I'll update this if necessary.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Jerseyrider said:
Thank you.:thumbsup:

I think it's the one numbered, PT1315. However, I fixed my issue by replacing the CPAS and cleaning out the connector as it was filled with oil. All this began when I changed my oil and decided to add "Restore" engine restorer in the silver can. What a nightmare! It just goes to show that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." There was nothing wrong with my truck but I figured because the mileage is so high, it might help. Well, 3 consecutive oil changes and one new CPAS later, my truck runs better than it did before this debacle. I had a minor hesitation right off idle when I would step on the gas and now it's gone and it seems to have more power in general. I had the P1345 code pop up and it hasn't come back so far one day later. I'll update this if necessary.

Our engines are very touchy about what goes in the crankcase, especially thanks to the VVT system. Some people use Seafoam, there's a couple other people using some other stuff around here somewhere, Rislone or something? It seems there's always a positive and a negative story to go with every brand, but Seafoam seems to crop up as pretty trusty for the Vortec 4200 overall.

Reading up on Restore brand products, it appears that the idea is to alleviate compression issues by filling in the scratches that occur over time in the cylinder walls (this would also give you a little more power, and reduce oil consumption, just like it says on the tin). Something that does this is not going to flow like 5W-30 oil though, and it apparently shows. Other people report their Toyota VVT getting clogged with this stuff, and a person who had no problem using it in an older BMW got a newer BMW and had it foul the cam sensors.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online