Window tint over factory

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Anyone here tinted over the factory tint...i know its inside the glass just curious if i went with limo "black" tinting if I'd still be able to see out the rear windows while driving ?

Oh i might as well add; I'm in cali its illegal in my city to tint the front windows but im sick of clear glass...is there a tint i could get that wont get me a ticket...something that isn't really noticed ? I see folks all the time with every window tinted black limo but im sure they have stacks of tickets in there gloveboxs.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I did 15% over factory in the rear cargo area and couldn't see shit at night.:ugh:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
MAY03LT said:
I did 15% over factory in the rear cargo area and couldn't see shit at night.:ugh:

I did a little reading on the glass stamps, on the sides it says trans. 16% the rear window says trans. 10%
Is the glass auto tint ? You know like the eyeglass coating

Jeez really? So that's 15% + 16% that's 31% transparent. I better get the light tin on all the rear windows and might as well stick it on the fronts too. Or I could just not tint the rears since there already strong and just get the fronts done.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Ghost said:
I did a little reading on the glass stamps, on the sides it says trans. 16% the rear window says trans. 10%
Is the glass auto tint ? You know like the eyeglass coating

Jeez really? So that's 15% + 16% that's 31% transparent. I better get the light tin on all the rear windows and might as well stick it on the fronts too. Or I could just not tint the rears since there already strong and just get the fronts done.

you cannot add the percent transmission. you have to multiply the fraction (remember % = 100(decimal fraction))

.15 x .16 = .024

or 2.4 % pretty dark.

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
I have the 15% over factory, it matches REALLY close to my "limo" fronts. I think the DMV measured my tint @ 3% on my fronts so .25% sounds about right for the back. I dont have any problems backing up @ night like May03LT mentioned. The difference is probably where we live. Im mostly by lit areas since im basically in a town/city. You could always do brighter back up lights etc for a piece of mind.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
meerschm said:
you cannot add the percent transmission. you have to multiply the fraction (remember % = 100(decimal fraction))

.15 x .16 = .024

or 2.4 % pretty dark.
Your right my bad.
DARKASS04EXT said:
I have the 15% over factory, it matches REALLY close to my "limo" fronts. I think the DMV measured my tint @ 3% on my fronts so .25% sounds about right for the back. I dont have any problems backing up @ night like May03LT mentioned. The difference is probably where we live. Im mostly by lit areas since im basically in a town/city. You could always do brighter back up lights etc for a piece of mind.

HIDs in the reverse housing's with a toggle switch ? Lol

Im just going to get the fronts tinted the rear windows seem pretty decent for sun blockage and peeping toms.

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
Over factory I have 2 layers. One layer is 20% and the second layer is 5%

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
I've had the rears done on Canyonaro... and while I don't know the exact % of darkness it is, I'll say that it's pretty close if not darker than what most limos have - in broad daylight you can't see inside the truck... while it took a bit of getting used to in order to see out at night, I now have no issue at all - it's been about 6 months tho...

I'll take pics of the various angles - once she's clean :raspberry:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Ghost said:
I'm in cali its illegal in my city to tint the front windows but im sick of clear glass...is there a tint i could get that wont get me a ticket...something that isn't really noticed ?
If I'm not mistaken, the lightest aftermarket tint available is 50%. It's very light, but still might get you pulled over if you're not allowed to have any.

djez015

Jan 28, 2013
i have 5% over factory and cant see a thing in or out (well just a little) lol adding 20% to that is just pointless lol

c bausch

Jan 13, 2012
Well i got a perscription to tint my windows from my doctor :raspberry: . Im going ti a tint shop and im going to say i want the back to equal 5% and front driver and pass 15% sun roof 5% and whole winshield 15%

c bausch

Jan 13, 2012
Sorry to hijack : Legally i have a question about the % of what my prescription says. It says i can get 60 % visible light transmission and 8% visible light reflection what does that mean?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Ghost said:
Anyone here tinted over the factory tint...i know its inside the glass just curious if i went with limo "black" tinting if I'd still be able to see out the rear windows while driving ?

Oh i might as well add; I'm in cali its illegal in my city to tint the front windows but im sick of clear glass...is there a tint i could get that wont get me a ticket...something that isn't really noticed ? I see folks all the time with every window tinted black limo but im sure they have stacks of tickets in there gloveboxs.

if its illegal that means nothing goes there. So anything you get will get you a ticket. doesnt matter how "light" or dark so if your going to tint the windows might as well get a darkness you like. Right now with factory tints its a pain the ass seeing out the back window so whatever you add will make it worst. But If you ask me and want darker tints in the back, I would add 35% on the back ones to make them darker and then do like 20% on the front.

bmartinezx3

Apr 6, 2012
i have 5% over stock so i have 1% (5% X 20%=1%). and front two i have 20% which is legal in Houston. i love it except for backing up at night is kinda sucks lol

here is a picture of my tint at sunset :cool:
View attachment 26257

Attachments

• traiblaasss.jpg
    traiblaasss.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 37

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
bmartinezx3 said:
i have 5% over stock so i have 1% (5% X 20%=1%). and front two i have 20% which is legal in Houston. i love it except for backing up at night is kinda sucks lol

here is a picture of my tint at sunset :cool:
View attachment 12214

umm not to be a jerk or anything but why would you put a ss badge on if its a regular tb? lol

tints look nice tho :thumbsup:

bmartinezx3

Apr 6, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
umm not to be a jerk or anything but why would you put a ss badge on if its a regular tb? lol

tints look nice tho :thumbsup:

are you serious? extra HP duh!!... no its just most people would say "nice SS" so i just decided to go with is and put the badges on.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
bmartinezx3 said:
are you serious? extra HP duh!!... no its just most people would say "nice SS" so i just decided to go with is and put the badges on.

well you might as well finish the clone off then, get the grill, front and rear bumper and just dont try to race anyone lol :thumbsup:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
well you might as well finish the clone off then, get the grill, front and rear bumper and just dont try to race anyone lol :thumbsup:

Or take the badges off and replace them with STI badges.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
c bausch said:
Sorry to hijack : Legally i have a question about the % of what my prescription says. It says i can get 60 % visible light transmission and 8% visible light reflection what does that mean?

Transmission is light that gets through. If an absolutely clear pane of glass allows 100% of the light through then a 60% transmission is allowing 60% of that light to pass through. I believe all GMT360's with factory rear glass tint have 70% on the front row windows. Basically there's no film made that you could add that would still be legal.

Light reflection is light that is bounced back to the person outside the car. They are essentially banning the mirrored tint on the market to keep from shining in other motorists eyes and making it easier for people to see into the car.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
If I'm not mistaken, the lightest aftermarket tint available is 50%. It's very light, but still might get you pulled over if you're not allowed to have any.

c bausch said:

MDBT and BO TIE are right, however I think both of these guys could get away with 50%. Tint is illegal on the front windows here in MI, and I drove my last vehicle with 50% on everything but the windshield for 8 years and no one even looked twice. Some cars look like they have dark glass even with no tint, so they'd never get away with (ie my father-in-laws black Grand Prix, with black interior and blacked out rear windsheild, the side windows look black, but they aren't tinted) But with the GMT360, the roof is pretty high and the windows are big, so I think with 50%, you'd be fine

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online