Who has a CB ANTENNA? Got pics?

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Thinking about adding a CB to my Envoy. I sort of like a low profile look.
Anyone have a CB antenna?
Do you have pictures to share?
Any great places to install it?

Appreciate your time and effort to respond.
Thanks, Mcsteven

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
4 foot Firestik

Currently mounted to steel bumper

Formerly on the taillight guard

If you have neither spot like I did. Look at BartonMD build and how he used a plate coming from the taillight for a close tuck mount that is simple.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
From his build:

- Cobra C75-WXST CB Radio, and associated antenna (seen below).

I made a bracket out of 12ga 304 stainless steel, and cut it to fit. I drilled (2) 1/4" holes in it, then transferred them to the body, as shown. There is no good way to get nuts on the inside of that spot, so I removed the tail light and drilled a 7/8" hole in the bottom sheet metal. I slathered everything in between the mount and body with silicone, then put the 1/4-20 bolts through the holes and put the Nylock nuts on the inside, through the 7/8" hole. I then put some silicone on a 7/8" Heyco plug, and snapped it in the hole. I ran the antenna wire in with the tail light wiring, and used a round file to file off a little bit of the top of the tail light, so the cable could pass through.

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg
SDC16967.jpg

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I don't have those places you have HT but I like the way Barton mounted it. I am going to look later - I'm thinking at the bottom of the tail light. I'm also thinking about a mount to the roof rack. Finally, as a consideration for the area where I live, I'm thinking about a magnetic mount base so it is easily hidden.

Right now I'm not in a custom fabrication mode or mood so I'm going to look and see what might be commercially available first. The only thing I don't like about the magnetic mount is being able to semi-permanently hide the wiring.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have a magnet mount and they do amazing really. Hiding wire is simple. Place the magnet mount just inside of the roof rack and run the wire right in the B pillar. Hide wire behind plastic panel and bazinga!
Minimal exposure and no drilling or cutting. Non-issue really.

Lots of guys run their roof light wiring that way.

Reactions: BHAMER and mcsteven

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
The_Roadie said:
My wiring is totally hidden, but I drilled through the roof above the overhead console for a ham antenna and a Wilson CB. Also not what you're looking for probably. :no:

rtt016.jpg
Probably not. I've also seen the view from the command center, uummm, I mean drivers seat.

I'm thinking I'd like to find the least invasive, for lack of better word, mount so that if/when I decide to sell this truck it will be easier to take out any mods that I want to keep or repair any damage created by said mods.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Then I think I laid it out for you.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
The_Roadie said:
What is this "sell the truck" process of which you speak? :confused:
It is when you find a new or newer truck, usually with many fewer miles, at a price that is too hard or impossible to pass up. This selling I speak of is when you do not have enough money to purchase the new or newer truck and or space to store and or park both vehicles.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
The_Roadie said:
implied lifetime commitment
That's called financing. I paid cash.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
There are not many options for CB antenna locations for mounting. If you try to use the roof rack you need to ensure you run another wire to the mounting point so that it is bonded (grounded) to the rest of the body for a better ground plane. If you don't mount high on the roof and go lower like near the taillight you need a top loaded antenna like the firestik for better reception and transmission.

Reactions: mcsteven

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
The_Roadie said:
Har. Wives that you pay cash for instead of financing are in a different category. Wait....are we talking women or trucks....I forget.... :rotfl:
They are different but a lot of similarities: you think you found your dream, but a while down the road they break your heart, empty your wallet, and you have to get rid of them. A little time goes by and you find another.

But yeah, trucks.

Reactions: The_Roadie

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Wow. I can't believe I didn't even think of the dog leg front under hood mount. You know, they sort of look like a Z, and they mount under the hood and come out between the hood and fender. Either that or magnetic I think. The roof rack would need a grounding strap as far as I can tell. I liked the idea of the roof rack because you could fold down the antenna, but let's see what else is around.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I never liked the hood mounts. But for your needs...could be dang good

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I'm not a big fan of them either. I'd rather use a tailgate or tail light mount or a roof rack mount. I really liked the roof rack as it appeared I could, with just a twist of a wingnut, fold the antenna down onto the roof. But the antenna upfront, not hidden, isn't as easily noticed I think. People are used to seeing an antenna in the front of the car. Still keeping the option open for magnetic mount.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Bump for some of the new folks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyatauction

Members Online