Which Valve Compressor Tool?

Combatvet

Original poster
Feb 3, 2015
I'm taking a broken valve spring off, not an issue since it was broken. The universal valve compressor tool is too large to get the proper position on the spring to install it.

Which tool would be the right one to use? Is kind of a generic question, but is there a specific tool I should be using with the head still on the block?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'll see if I can find a tool that I've seen before, it should work with your motor.

But, my first thought, you realize when you remove the retainer that the valve is gonna fall into the cylinder, right?

I've heard/seen on YouTube people stuff a small, but long, rope inside the cylinder and then raise the piston to hold it or hook up an air compressor through the spark plug hole to keep it pressurized to keep the valve from moving.

Combatvet

Original poster
Feb 3, 2015
I have it pressurized and at TDC, the valve doesn't fall very much when pressure is released. I'm trying to modify a tool just for this use, I am really cursing GM right now...

Combatvet

Original poster
Feb 3, 2015
Well, I finally got it back on. I got a valve spring compressor from Harbor Freight and modified the crap out of it to work. Thanks for pointing me to the tool, might put it my tool box for next time.

Combatvet

Original poster
Feb 3, 2015
Job is finished just to have the blend air valve/actuator die on me, I can't catch a break. Thanks for the info guys it helped out quite a bit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DirtEater73

Members Online