Where to get cross bars for roof rack

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So, we bought a lake house and are constantly hauling stuff up there in my wife's Rainier. I need to replace some ceiling fans and lights way up high and so need to buy and bring up an extension ladder. I never thought I'd ever need to use the roof rack but It's either strap the ladder on to the roof or onto my snowmobile trailer which I prefer not to do. What does a person use for the cross rails? The roof rack as it is, is useless without the rails. Any suggestions?

Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Your roof rack didn't come with a couple of cross rails when you bought it? You were ripped off if it didn't.

I needed stronger ones than the tubular ones that came with it, which really weren't for putting more than 50 pounds on. So I just went to Home Depot and got some SuperStrut.

offroadTB.com - View topic - Roadie's Birthday RTT

rtt015.jpg

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
My crossbars were MIA when I bought the truck as well. I have found some at local salvage yards for decent prices, but I like the roadies approach will be what I end up doing.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I think our first Rainier the 2004 did but neither of the 07's did.

ssmedt

Dec 8, 2011
the roadie said:
Your roof rack didn't come with a couple of cross rails when you bought it? You were ripped off if it didn't.

I needed stronger ones than the tubular ones that came with it, which really weren't for putting more than 50 pounds on. So I just went to Home Depot and got some SuperStrut.

offroadTB.com - View topic - Roadie's Birthday RTT

]

Wow I get to contridect bill:lipsrsealed:

All 9-7x years and 2006 and 2007 came with the chrome crescent shaped decritive roof racks and there was no cross bars available. The rack is not flat so it will not accept rails.

Your best option if you have to have rails would be to get a regular roof rack, it will bolt right on. I put a rack from a Saab on my rainier and have the stock rack plus cross bars sitting in the basement. If you want to pay shipping and throw me a buck or two I can sell you my stock setup

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ssmedt said:
Wow I get to contridect bill:lipsrsealed:

All 9-7x years and 2006 and 2007 came with the chrome crescent shaped decritive roof racks and there was no cross bars available. The rack is not flat so it will not accept rails.
OMG! :eek: :eek: :crazy: :crazy: :redface: :redface:

I had No FRACKIN' IDEA!

Roof Rack MEGA-Fail. :hissyfit:

Thanks. Now I have something else to mock about the insane design team. An SUV without a functional roof rack is like a ricer sans fake carbon fiber overlays.

View attachment 30865

Attachments

• Car-Gods-Honda1.jpg
    Car-Gods-Honda1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 14

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
Jkust said:
So, we bought a lake house and are constantly hauling stuff up there in my wife's Rainier. I need to replace some ceiling fans and lights way up high and so need to buy and bring up an extension ladder. I never thought I'd ever need to use the roof rack but It's either strap the ladder on to the roof or onto my snowmobile trailer which I prefer not to do. What does a person use for the cross rails? The roof rack as it is, is useless without the rails. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have them on the 06 9-7x I just purchased and will never use them. I haven't even looked at them yet, but they're up on the roof. Just to clarify, you have the channel system and looking for the cross bars? Also, dont' know if 9-7x roof rack is same as Ranier.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
#1- Congrats on the lake house! That's awesome.

#2- if you have channels on your roof rack, any 2000-2006 Tahoe/avalanche or Yukon in addition to any gmt360 cross bars will fit. Junkyard could be a good option to find them used as there are tons of gmt800s out there.

If you don't have channels you could try to swap the decorative ones with another member that does, or still go the junkyard route and get the rails and the crossbars(a little tougher bc I am NOT sure if the rails are all the same across those two platforms but I do know the crossbars ARE)

Good luck!

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I had the crossbars and would've definitely have givin' them to you for free but my wifes' pitbull chewed up the roof rack and rails while they were in the garage:hissyfit::mad: I swapped out my trailblazer style roof rails for the 9-7x style and purchased some aftermarket rails the can slide over the rails and lock into position. I could get some pics of them tomorrow if you want.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Just to clarify for non-Saab folks, the 'roof rack' on the 9-7x is pretty much solid chrome, there's no track or slot to insert factory style rails. As far as I know, you have to go with clamp or strap on style, it's a big fail. I'm fairly certain the bolt patterns are the same, I've toyed with the idea of hitting a junkyard and grabbing a functional one from another 360. We do have a hitch cargo platform now, so it's kinda off the table as an u justified expense.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Not to take away fro jkust as he asked first, but if someone is willing to part with their roof racks I need the cross members, bolts and the front covers. I have the rack mounts just everything else disappeared. Jkust would have first dibs though

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
KrisE said:
I have them on the 06 9-7x I just purchased and will never use them. I haven't even looked at them yet, but they're up on the roof. Just to clarify, you have the channel system and looking for the cross bars? Also, dont' know if 9-7x roof rack is same as Ranier.

Wow...good feedback. The Rainier and the 9-7 have the same chrome looking rack. I need to get up there and check it out better I see. Our first 04 Rainier that had the cross bars was a completely different rack, black not chrome/stainless. For the sake of getting the ladder up there quickly, I may just strap it onto my snowmobile trailer and revisit the cross bars later. Now of course I need to buy the completely overpriced tie down loops for my Floe trailer.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Depending on how far you are going you could always do what i do. I have a big extension ladder that I just pop the glass on the hatch and lift over the head rests on the passenger seat and back seat. The ladder ends up sitting in the dash, with both the passenger seat headrest and the back seat headrests in between the rungs to keep it from moving around too much. I can't close the glass when I do it, but I've never had an issue doing it that way. Probably not the safest(in the event of an accident) but I never take it real far.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
willn513 said:
Depending on how far you are going you could always do what i do. I have a big extension ladder that I just pop the glass on the hatch and lift over the head rests on the passenger seat and back seat. The ladder ends up sitting in the dash, with both the passenger seat headrest and the back seat headrests in between the rungs to keep it from moving around too much. I can't close the glass when I do it, but I've never had an issue doing it that way. Probably not the safest(in the event of an accident) but I never take it real far.

That's a good idea for when I buy it and drive it the two miles home. It's a 2.5 hour drive up to the lake and have wife and kids so...
I almost regret selling my minivan earlier this year.

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
Jkust said:
That's a good idea for when I buy it and drive it the two miles home. It's a 2.5 hour drive up to the lake and have wife and kids so...
I almost regret selling my minivan earlier this year.

I had a locksmith make a key to unlock for removal, that was over $50.

Will sell for 100.00 if you're interested. It also came with a kayak carrier unit. PM me if you're interested.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmaxdob

Members Online