wheel spinning on jack stands

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I just changed my brakes/rotors last night. Noticed my passenger side wheel spins freely with no effort at all. The driver side I could not spin at all until after doing a little test run. Now the driver side spins in only one direction and I have to use a little bit of effort...the passenger side still spins both directions with no resistance at all. This doesn't sound normal...

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
With everything operating normally, one wheel is always connected to the rear driveshaft. When on ice, it is always the wheel with the least resistance. While driving normally, on bare, dry surfaces, the "connection" will flop back and forth from one wheel to the other, depending upon things like turning corners. When the rear is on jack stands, you will find one wheel "connected" to the driveshaft (of course, it's the wheel that was connected when you parked).

The G80 is a locking diff; however, it requires some wheel spin to lock it, so it probably is not locked.

Now, in your case, you need to figure out if the diff is acting normal, or if you could have a dragging brake.

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
jrSS said:
Do u have the g80?

No g80.

RayVoy said:
With everything operating normally, one wheel is always connected to the rear driveshaft. When on ice, it is always the wheel with the least resistance. While driving normally, on bare, dry surfaces, the "connection" will flop back and forth from one wheel to the other, depending upon things like turning corners. When the rear is on jack stands, you will find one wheel "connected" to the driveshaft (of course, it's the wheel that was connected when you parked).

The G80 is a locking diff; however, it requires some wheel spin to lock it, so it probably is not locked.

Now, in your case, you need to figure out if the diff is acting normal, or if you could have a dragging brake.

the front diff was just replaced a couple months ago...while driving everything seems normal.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Hmmm, Tim, your 1st post lead me to believe you were talking about the rear axle, are you talking about the front?

If the front, you have the same mechanics as the rear, the difference being, the front driveshaft (if your in 2WD) will turn with one of the wheels (the rear will as well, if the tranny (or the t-case) is in neutral).

When turning the wheel that is harder to turn, look at the driveshaft, is it turning?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online