what trips the "STOP ENGINE" display?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
and yet another problem pops up...

My daughter just txt'd me that the car displayed a "STOP ENGINE" alert on the read out, so she pulled over turned off the engine then turned it back on and its gone.

What issues make this display come up???

car was driving fine when this happened.

I tried a search but didnt see anything

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
ok. I doubt the oil is low I just changed it a 1+ months ago and this has never happened when it was actually low. so I guess the sensor...

how hard is that to get too! the oil filter is pretty high up that opening...
grrr

she said it happened as she was going around a turn under 5mph, said she did not notice lights flicker or any engine stutter and she is a chronic complainer so on something like that I can trust it didnt happen.
She says she didnt see the oil low warning before this. does it cycle that or just say it once and demand u turn off the engine?

it was 30F out all day so I have to doubt it was over heating, but u never know!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
It says it for as long as the sending unit is saying the oil pressure is low. Low oil may not be the only cause of low oil pressure, but a turn would make me think that perhaps there is an oil leak issue.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Maybe the oil pick up tube is clogged? It could have developed a leak and suddenly become low. I have seen it happen before. Also could be a defective filter? Or if it was gram that is likely the problem. These engines along with many others don't like them because they stop up easily. Imo

The sensor is not hard to get too from underneath. But it would show zero oil pressure on the cluster if that is the problem

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Ok I checked the oil...
I am not sure if any oil was on the dipstick so I added 2 quarts...
If it was down 2 quarts and turned a corner you would think an oil low sensor would go off?
she said she was going down a hill slowing down to turn a corner.

oil life is at 55% which usually goes to 10% after 10k miles.
I use full synthetic in her car. its got 5k since last changed

odd though I see some wet oil at the top FRONT of the block across the left FRONT side to middle of the front just below the oil fill area but I dont see where it could possibly have come from.
Maybe if I spilled some when I filled it 1+ months ago?? doesnt seem likely it should have all burned off by now.
I didnt take a pic before cleaning off to see if it happens again.

Oil pressure is at the middle which says 40%, from reading other posts I understand this reading is an actual lie, but either way its at the middle.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
ok she says it was a steep hill down that should make the oil go to the front of the engine, so where is the oil pump???
in the back?!

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Mounce said:
Oil pump is in the front in the roundabout area of the crankshaft, I believe the oil pick up tube is indeed in the back though.
ah! so maybe low oil and steep down hill caused it!
It does burn oil, usually I add 2 quarts before changing it

Reactions: Mounce

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
My 03 TB does not have a oil level sensor, but Rock Auto shows a OLS for it.
I have read that maybe just the 02's had a OLS and if you were 2 quarts low and
going down a steep hill, the brain (PCM) had a signal to shut down.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The oil level sensor, which were only in 02's (none in 03+ because I swapped in an 03 engine in my 02 and had to swap the oil pan) is pretty low in the pan and figure you would have to be 3-4 or more quarts down before that would trip. If it's an 02, then it could have been the hill and turn that sloshed the oil around enough to make it go off. I don't know if it gives the same message as a low oil pressure condition.

BTW, the oil pressure gauge in the dash is a fake. All we have is a switch in the 4.2 and the PCM puts out fake readings. If the pressure switch trips (0 pressure), then it will drop the gauge to 0 and give the warning message.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
yeah I am going to have to guess the oil was low...
I think after adding 2 I saw the dipstick wet. the dipstick is kind of weird on these cars.
I just checked the oil with the engine cold and off, looks like the level is over the F, which I guess is too much oil. I checked the front top of the block I cleaned off and its totally dry. so I guess the oil I saw was from spilling it on the valve cover.

I guess I will just keep an eye on this. not much else I can do without witnessing it happen.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
One time I hit a guardrail in the rear on the highway years ago (slush) and got the same stop engine warning. No air bags or damage done to the truck but don't know what made it go off.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Mounce said:
Oil pump is in the front in the roundabout area of the crankshaft, I believe the oil pick up tube is indeed in the back though.
The sump area is also up-front, it wouldn't make sense to put the pickup away from that lol

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, it is up front. I should know. I have seen the inside of this engine way too many times!

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Mooseman said:
The oil level sensor, which were only in 02's (none in 03+ because I swapped in an 03 engine in my 02 and had to swap the oil pan) is pretty low in the pan and figure you would have to be 3-4 or more quarts down before that would trip. If it's an 02, then it could have been the hill and turn that sloshed the oil around enough to make it go off. I don't know if it gives the same message as a low oil pressure condition.

BTW, the oil pressure gauge in the dash is a fake. All we have is a switch in the 4.2 and the PCM puts out fake readings. If the pressure switch trips (0 pressure), then it will drop the gauge to 0 and give the warning message.
was not related to the level sensor, entirely a pressure issue:

CHECK OIL LEVEL
The IPC illuminates the CHECK OIL LEVEL message in the driver information center (DIC) when the powertrain control module (PCM) detects a low engine oil level condition. The PCM only monitors the oil level switch signal circuit for a brief period between key on and ignition crank. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the PCM requesting illumination.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
ok I am guessing it is a faulty sensor since I know for sure there is more than enough oil in the engine.
It just did it again to her coming down a smaller hill, then driving on a straight away.
she says the oil pressure gauge was flipping back and forth between 20 and 40.

I guess I have to check out some youtubes or something on replacing this sensor.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Engine Oil Pressure Switch is what I am looking for?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
coolasice said:
Could be a bad connector/chaffed wire
I havent looked up there yet how would it get chaffed or dirty above the plastic trap door! haha...

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
This time she said the check gauges light came on...

Do I need a deep socket for this? what mm?
Not finding a youtube on a picture of this yet!
I always like to look at what I am about to tackle before doing it!

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
coolasice said:
thanks, yeah i was just looking at that thread and the linked socket doesnt exist anymore...
looks like they only have the deep one which according to the post wont work.
wish i was home to look at my tools!! I may have a 27mm wrench!

as for my question of dirty plug I see these fail and leak back into the connector...

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Well wow....

Ok no one seems to mention you can see this sensor right past the front lower area of the passenger tire...
That would have solved my question in minutes instead of checking oil levels! hah.

Anyhow...
you can see oil dripping right off the sensor, well I didnt get the light right but there is a drop hanging off the sensor.
I went to advance bought the sensor and looked at their $13 oil pressure sensor socket which was all pretty and stuff then I went to their impact socket area and the $6 1 1/16th socket is the exact same length as the $12 "special" socket. The sensor fits perfectly into the 1 1/16th impact socket.
Only possible issue is its a 1/2" drive but that was not a big deal, more leverage with the longer ratchet.
I put the socket on the sensor first, then reached up and attached the ratchet once broken loose the oil sensor can be taken out with finger strength.
I then took the ratchet off and then the socket because there is a hose in the way.
Unscrewed the sensor with my hand, let the few ounces of oil spill out as I reached for the replacement sensor and screwed it in.
Put the impact socket back on, then the ratchet and tightened it all up.
I cleaned the sensor connector with carb cleaner, then sprayed the whole area to clean up all the accumulated dripping oil and other residue.

NOTE: it did take more effort than I thought it would to get the wire to clip into the new sensor, at first I thought it was the wrong sensor till I realized it was all the rubber sealing holding it back. or maybe there was still some carb cleaner in the wire harness causing extra pressure

Attachments

• oilsensor1.jpg
    oilsensor1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2
  • oilsensor2.jpg
    oilsensor2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
well I knew it was above the oil filter, I just did not know u could just look in at it!!!
I'm stuck in the mentality that the only way to see the oil filter was opening the plastic door!!!

No clue why I never noticed the oil filter when doing her brakes, rotors, bearing etc etc etc...
I think it may be because its dark in there, a flashlight would have shown the area nicely.

Thanks!
sure was letting a lot of oil out of the engine!
Im still confused with the oil dipstick... check it with the engine on off?
I cleaned the dispstick and put it in then out, the E had oil on it the F had oil on it but the 2 blocks between were dry... so is that saying the oil is low??
Checked it with the engine on... I just put 2 quarts in 2 days ago, I suppose it could have dripped out a quart more in that time. I dunno

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
ok.
No clue why its causing me a blank.
just annoyed by this car, always replacing things on it, granted 200k miles but my crown vic has 170k and I havent replaced any sensors, doesnt burn oil and I beat the crap out of it.
Only annoyances with the ford is the light control module the relays desolder themselves, the blower control module desoldered itself, overhead panel desoldered itself... Ford apparently doesnt know how to properly make larger foot prints on hot spots on circuit boards. well ok it had the faulty rear axles which I replaced and had transmission rebuilt,,, hrmm that cost more than all the problems the Envoy has had haha... hrmmm....

Reactions: sunliner

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online