What should I do?????

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yesterday while traveling home from work and the street I normally take home was more busy than usual. Basically while sitting at a stop light I was rear ended at about maybe 10 mph:hissyfit::mad:. This idiot had no proof of insurance and I knew he was on his phone because I passed him a few lights before and he was all into his phone. My question is as mad and furious as I was what should I do? I had the bumper guard on as always and it pretty much did what I put it there to do but I don't know if the hitch could've been damaged based on the incident. I don't want to let it go then down the line when I want to tow a trailer the hitch is a lil out of place. I know I maybe over reacting but I'd rather be safe than sorry, Here are some pics

View attachment 32180
View attachment 32181
View attachment 32182

Attachments

• 20140119_114916.jpg
    20140119_114916.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20140119_115540.jpg
    20140119_115540.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20140119_115655.jpg
    20140119_115655.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 12

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Ugh that sucks, I know how you feel. Couple years ago, I got hit by a Civic in stop and go traffic, and I was pissed. Luckily I had nothing more than some paint scrapes on the hitch, his front end was jacked up pretty good though.

I believe our hitches are bolted on, so I suppose you could drop the spare, get under there and take some measurements to see if one side has shifted compared to the other. If you wanted to take it to a shop to make sure things are still aligned, tell them to cut off your resonator while they're at it!! :biggrin:

What did his front end look like?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
It appears the bar took the brunt of it but if you tow a lot, taking it for an inspection at a trailering/rv shop might be wise for peace of mind. I would want to be sure nothing got loose. Sucks but at least that bar provided some insurance!

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Here's what his looked like
View attachment 32183

:rotfl: I've had a silverado muffler tip in the back for some months now and never got it installed/res delete lol. That I will be selling I think it's a bit to long and will throw off the rear look. I will go with something a bit shorter.

Attachments

• 20140118_131908.jpg
    20140118_131908.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 9

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sorry to hear that man. Luckily you had the bumper guard on, most likely reduced the damage. I agree with Blckshdw, definitely make sure everything is still aligned and intact.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
He was trying to figure out his camera, he wanted a pic of your ride and has even thought about an upgra....not anymore.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
I would do like has been said and visually check the hitch to see if anything looks afoul, but I honestly wouldn't worry too much.

I've been rearended in mine (4 car pileup actually) right in the hitch and it didn't damage anything but the car that got me. (The car that went right very fast and got the right rear of my bumper and busted my taillight with his mirror was a different story) I was in my ex-gf's Mom's Envoy XL a few years ago and got rearended by a pizza delivery guy - also in the hitch, and there was no damage to the Envoy. Backed into a post at the mall with Mom's Envoy, you guessed it, with the hitch. :redface: No damage.

If you're going to get hit in the rear end, the hitch is the best place for the impact to occur IMO - Under 20 MPH it's highly unlikely that the hitch will budge - it's bolted to the frame very solidly. :twocents:

Dec 4, 2011
Envoy_04 said:
I would do like has been said and visually check the hitch to see if anything looks afoul, but I honestly wouldn't worry too much.

I've been rearended in mine (4 car pileup actually) right in the hitch and it didn't damage anything but the car that got me. (The car that went right very fast and got the right rear of my bumper and busted my taillight with his mirror was a different story) I was in my ex-gf's Mom's Envoy XL a few years ago and got rearended by a pizza delivery guy - also in the hitch, and there was no damage to the Envoy. Backed into a post at the mall with Mom's Envoy, you guessed it, with the hitch. :redface: No damage.

If you're going to get hit in the rear end, the hitch is the best place for the impact to occur IMO - Under 20 MPH it's highly unlikely that the hitch will budge - it's bolted to the frame very solidly. :twocents:

I second this response. Looking at the car that hit you it doesn't appear to badly damaged. The hitch is more than capable of taking that hit. Just check and get him/her to buy you a new bar. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online