What leds should I get?

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Looking to upgrade my parking lights and taillights to leds, what bulbs have anyone used? Also has anyone did the clear marker side mod for headlights, how hard is it if so. Thanks

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Canary2323 said:
Looking to upgrade my parking lights and taillights to leds, what bulbs have anyone used? Also has anyone did the clear marker side mod for headlights, how hard is it if so. Thanks

I posted an article on making your own clear corners. It's not too difficult, or expensive, just takes time and patience. I cut my lights open, because I'm impatient, and didn't wanna spend the time baking mine.

For bulbs, you've got plenty of options, all are viable really. The most common are the corn cob lights. Those work great with anything that has a reflector bowl. The Cree ones, with the projector style front, and SMD side firing LEDs, are gaining popularity. DFWWIZ sells those, so he might be able to offer you a good deal. I have the spider lights in my reverse spots, they are pretty bright in direct line of sight, but do not cast all that much reflective light (kinda hard to see what's behind you when backing up in complete darkness)

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Have a link to your article, found a cheap pair of headlights I'm going to try it with. Looking at a couple leds on ebay but it's hit or miss with that stuff sometimes.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Canary2323 said:
Any pictures? and are bulb numbers the same as stock?

All the bulb numbers are the same, except for the front turn signal, you will need a 3157. Stock bulb number is 3757, but I have not found a 3757 LED.

The 3157 LED is the same, but you will need to shave the tabs off on the side of the bulb so it will fit in the socket.

Make sure you pick up some 6 Ohm 50 Watt resistors for your turn signals. This will correct the hyperflash issue.

tb boy 05

Mar 22, 2012
dmanns67 said:
All the bulb numbers are the same, except for the front turn signal, you will need a 3157. Stock bulb number is 3757, but I have not found a 3757 LED.

The 3157 LED is the same, but you will need to shave the tabs off on the side of the bulb so it will fit in the socket.

Make sure you pick up some 6 Ohm 50 Watt resistors for your turn signals. This will correct the hyperflash issue.

Any instructions on where and how to place the resistors?

02TrailBlazer

Jan 22, 2013
Spliced between the Turn Signal wire and ground.

50w 6ohm will work for front or rear, 3 ohm works for front and rear so consider doing front and back at the same time and just do 1 pair of 3 ohms.

You might want to consider modding your taillight boards to accept regular LED's like a bunch of us have, or buy a pair from a vendor.
Modded boards gains you the following:
1. You don't have to hunt down SRCK wired LED's (which are usually more expensive)
2. Quad Parking lights
3. You can build the resistors right into the boards.
4. Quad turns, brakes, and parks looks sick!

Here is the place to get started if you decide to go that route:
http://gmtnation.com/f33/modding-trailblazer-throttle-body-tail-light-boards-non-srck-leds-2046/

tb boy 05

Mar 22, 2012
Thanks for the info, but I have tyco LED taillights already. i just want to add 3157 turn signal LEDs and the 194 LED to the front. So I will locate some 6 ohm 50 watt resistors on ebay and wire them up to the turn signal and ground wire's correct? What about changing the turn signal flasher to the LM 487? Will I still need the resistors? Or will that fix the fast flash by its self?
Thanks again for your help.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
tb boy 05 said:
Thanks for the info, but I have tyco LED taillights already. i just want to add 3157 turn signal LEDs and the 194 LED to the front. So I will locate some 6 ohm 50 watt resistors on ebay and wire them up to the turn signal and ground wire's correct? What about changing the turn signal flasher to the LM 487? Will I still need the resistors? Or will that fix the fast flash by its self?
Thanks again for your help.

I have IPCW LED taillights as well. From what I have seen it is easier and cheaper to go with a pair of 6 Ohm 50 watt resistor (I got mine for $10 of off Amazon.com) versus the $80 for the LM 487. The resistors will correct the hyperflash issue. Make sure you pick up (4) quick splice wire connectors to use with the resistors. My resistors came with them, but I am not sure if the Ebay kits will though.

I also have 194 LED in the front side markers and those are plug and play. Just make sure you get the polarity correct prior to installing the LEDs as they are a pain to get out unless you remove your headlight. Not a huge deal for me as I have the LT headlights, so I can pull them without removing the grille.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online