What else should be done on the engine swap?

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Going to get a used engine swapped in.

Various threads I've read in the past indicate that
1) check the exhaust manifold for cracks.
2) ensure all exhaust manifold bolts are tight.
3) seeing as how they have to pull the drive shafts there's something that needs to be checked in the front drive train but I forget what it is. Something to do with splines.

I might as well get them to change the spark plugs and clean the throttle body.

I was told the front brakes were getting close to needing changing and that was about 10K kms ago so might as well get that done too. I would think they have to pull the wheels so it won't be much extra time.

Seeing as how I just had the thermostat and temp sensor replaced two months ago I might as well ask them to pull them off the old engine. Should I get them to put them in the replacement motor.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
The front differential splined disconnect should be checked for proper lubrication and good bearings.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
The front differential splined disconnect should be checked for proper lubrication and good bearings.

Yes, swap the stat and temp sensor over.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Anytime I do a used engine swap....I always change all the gaskets and seals that are a PITA to do with the motor in the car/truck....ie..oil pan, exhaust manifold, timing cover, rear main seal, front trans seal...etc... also replace the motor mounts while its apart...check all your freeze plugs..if any have corrosion replace them...basically assume anything will and can leak or go bad immediately following the swap..........usually that's when it does........lol!

Just realized you have 4WD...definately do your seals while it's apart! Axle seals etc.... check you CV boots/joints...any doubt? replace them now.. its a lot cheaper to do it while its apart now than take it back apart later.... Always trust Murphy's Law...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online