What Does Your 4.2 Engine Sound Like?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Purpose of this thread is to post a sound clip or a video of the sound of your 4.2 engine

May be useful to some or you can just show off to others thought it would be a fun idea

Rev away!!!!!

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
mine sounds like

vuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuveeeeeehhhhhhhhh

Reactions: dkvasnicka

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Well typically a video or a sound clip would be the goal of this post. I would assume trying to type out engine sounds would be a great waste of time

Here is my horrible sounding engine at 186k miles

[video=youtube_share;glhja5McaGM]http://youtu.be/glhja5McaGM[/video]

My personal reason for this topic is to get an idea of what other engines sound like compared to mine

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
jeffro312 said:
Well typically a video or a sound clip would be the goal of this post. I would assume trying to type out engine sounds would be a great waste of time

My personal reason for this topic is to get an idea of what other engines sound like compared to mine

twas a joke my friend :biggrin:

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
DDonnie said:
mine sounds like

vuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuveeeeeehhhhhhhhh

that's weird, mine goes hhhhhhhhheeeeeeuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvuvu maybe I have something on backwards

Reactions: dkvasnicka

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
jeffro312 said:

Well, @17 seconds, what is being used to seal off the vacuum port on the intake? Duct tape?

There is an awful lot of hissing from 20-23 seconds, sounds like a vacuum leak or does this have air injection? Does air injection normally sound like that?

Light metallic noise at 33-35 sec is concerning, I would pull the #1 coil while it's running then #2, then both at the same time and see if it goes away.

Could be a timing chain tensioner also but never heard one when bad.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
gmcman said:
Well, @17 seconds, what is being used to seal off the vacuum port on the intake? Duct tape?.

It has a small rubber plug was unsure exactly
What it did. it had a small split at
Opening so I just electrical taped it around crack to pull crack tight together.

I'd really like to hear other engines if possible not troubleshoot my issue that was another thread. But thank you for the pointers.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Here's mine as of today, been wrenching on it this week, prob a few clips hanging off and it's filthy but this is at 187K, @ oper temp. Injector noise seems slightly amplified and there is a very very faint tapping noise and I believe it's the #6 exhaust since the rear bolt is broken at the manifold, along with my swiss cheese exhaust noise.

I think an oil pressure gauge is next on the to-do list, I don't trust the pressure at idle...any light tapping I hear goes away when I rev it up slightly and then slowly starts to come back at idle. Nothing too concerning but drives me nuts.

[video=youtube;xv6KT7igBtA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6KT7igBtA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:

You're missing a serpentine :tongue:

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Thanks

Cone that sounds so sick. I see your odometer then the road Andy eyes are probably off but if I just saw the road is assume you we're going 50mph max. Ha

And gmcman my engine seems to my ear sound similar to yours. Except I have that slight metallic noise mine sounded exact to yours about last summer

Keep them coming I'm curious as to what roadies engine sounds like

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Last one was wrong truck sorry but figured it was post worthy haha it's only a 3.3 engine though :wink:

Here's my rainier

[video=youtube_share;kmaxPMWoqFM]http://youtu.be/kmaxPMWoqFM[/video]

triz

Apr 22, 2013
jeffro312 said:
Thanks

Cone that sounds so sick. I see your odometer then the road Andy eyes are probably off but if I just saw the road is assume you we're going 50mph max. Ha

And gmcman my engine seems to my ear sound similar to yours. Except I have that slight metallic noise mine sounded exact to yours about last summer

Keep them coming I'm curious as to what roadies engine sounds like

I was just going to say yours and GMCmans sound the same. What may I ask have you been running for oil in there out of curiosity?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
triz said:
I was just going to say yours and GMCmans sound the same. What may I ask have you been running for oil in there out of curiosity?

Well when I purchased her at 165k I put in mobile one until last oil change I put in valvoline synthetic due to money issues about 1k ago. Before 165k no idea what was used

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Please don't use Valvoline. I've used it before. I'm not a fan. Off the shelf oil use the Pennzoil Ultra and don't cheap out on the filter. Don't use Fram.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
triz said:
... Don't use Fram.

I've read others say this. Why? Even their higher end filters? And with regular changes before dope light tells you to?
Just saw a heavy Bosch filter on the shelf. May give that a try next time. I could see how running conventional and a cheapo filter could create problems if you wait until the light says so, with no real frequency to oil changes...?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Their higher end filters are "ok" but the common ones (classic orange can) are pretty crappy inside.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Fram is a real really cheap oil filter. Here is a thread on another forum I'm on where they break down the oil filter. I'll try and dig up another one where they test the FRAM.

Oil Filter Exposed

The Bosch is an excellent choice.

Here is another link on the Fram. It's in that original thread I posted in case you miss it.

http://www.lesabret.com/filters/filter.html

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
triz said:

No way man...:poke: His has some clappity, clapity, along with injector noise....:biggrin: The mic on the camcorder is uber sensitive, I'll try to get a better vid that's not almost touching the motor.

I ran a lot of M1 and have just recently switched away from it due to a lot of people complaining of noisy motors, I started noticing more racket as well. I actually like Pennzoil and Valvoline for readily available oil, never had any issues with them. I recently went with Valvoline Synpower then switched to Pennzoil synthetic blend since I'm going to change it a little sooner for awhile.

I was and still occasionally have a cold-start issue with a lifter tick, has been much better recently. I started with using some BG motor flush which helped quite a bit, then after 3-4K I used some Rislone. I have a new lash adjuster just in case and I may still have an issue with one, next job is exhaust and then to pull the valve cover and see what's going on in there.

There's no hiding the fact the motor has 187K miles....there's going to be some added clearance in the bearings....just facts of life. How much.....dunno but when warm it's still a 30W but these motors won't last forever. I think around 200K I'm going to pull the pan, timing cover and replace the rod bearings, oil pump, clean the pickup screen or try to find a new one since GM has discontinued the pickup screen for the 02 now. :frown:

I say get a good cleaner and see if it quiet things up, mine did a little and changing the water pump further helped....but your's obviously isn't a water pump issue.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sorry, forgot to post the pic of the last two oil changes I did, most recent is the Pennzoil blend that's Dexos approved.

Edited because I apparently can't read a label. :bonk:

Attachments

• 0619132213.jpg
    0619132213.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 20

nopaybob

Apr 3, 2013
220651 miles Mobil 1 extended life 5w30 and matching filter

[video=youtube;9kXwMIUHEFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kXwMIUHEFs&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Warm engine on startup

[video=youtube;lvWxoU3wEUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lvWxoU3wEUM[/video]

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
nopaybob said:
220651 miles Mobil 1 extended life 5w30 and matching filter

[video=youtube;9kXwMIUHEFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kXwMIUHEFs&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Warm engine on startup

[video=youtube;lvWxoU3wEUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lvWxoU3wEUM[/video]

Have you done any major work on the engine if so at what mileage. I'd love to see my rainier hit 220k

nopaybob

Apr 3, 2013
jeffro312 said:
Have you done any major work on the engine if so at what mileage. I'd love to see my rainier hit 220k
I have no history on this tb, This was an impulse buy at an auction.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I hear a lot of the infamous diesel noise going on in these vids. To those that have it, does your vvt work at all?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't have a vid of mine but it sounds a bit diesel-ish too. From what I can tell the VVT works fine as it "wakes up" further up the RPM range as you'd expect it to.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
CaptainXL said:
I hear a lot of the infamous diesel noise going on in these vids. To those that have it, does your vvt work at all?

How would one "test" the vvt? Does it still scream up the tach or...? Compression test?:confused: I'd like to do this on her car too.

Will the noise improve from cleaning the cpas? with the ease of access, might rather try cleaning it first then replacing it if necessary as you have suggested previously. Merely a cost thing.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I used to have the dieseling noise and wanted to get rid of it as I originally thought the reason the vvt didnt kick in hardly at all was because of it. So I flushed the engine a number of times over a year and a half during routine oil changes. Then I replaced the CPAS and the noise went away completely. The engine is much more responsive as well.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Cool, thanks Cap. How many miles were you at when you started flushing? Still flushing every change even without the noise? This is definitely next on the to-do list. Not that bad at 118k, but prevention is key! lol

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
180k here. Maybe I should yank the CPAS one of these days...

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Is this a cpas

hajaqaba.jpg

DELPHI Part # SL10064
ENGINE VARIABLE TIMING SOLENOID

$47.79
Add to Cart

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
jeffro312 said:
Is this a cpas

hajaqaba.jpg

DELPHI Part # SL10064
ENGINE VARIABLE TIMING SOLENOID

$47.79
Add to Cart

Sure is! Thanks for the heads-up on the actual part name. Think I'll try my half can of cleaner first...

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
So if I'm going to be running into some money and am thinking about throwing it into my engine. What would i want to replace are those engine rebuild kits for 800 worth it. How labor intensive would that be I have manuals haven't studied it yet. Are there just certain parts need to be replaced to solve noise issue. I know I have a bolt snapped off on exhaust manifold that req head removal to remove I can do this at same time Just curious how to pinpoint my metallic noise

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Bought the truck at 110k miles. Replaced a bunch of stuff like idler and tensioner and belt, plugs, etc.

Noise abated at approximately 120k after doing flushes and replacing CPAS.

nopaybob

Apr 3, 2013
my cpas was replaced a month ago. I don't think my tb sounds that bad in person or all the time..:undecided:, although my video sounds like I'm at a truck stop.:frown:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
nopaybob said:
my cpas was replaced a month ago. I don't think my tb sounds that bad in person or all the time..:undecided:, although my video sounds like I'm at a truck stop.:frown:

Ok, but did you flush the engine before replacing the CPAS? Is that an ACDelco CPAS? Some dorman and other aftermarkets CPAS' s have been known to be bad out of the box or flat out dont work.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:
Ok, but did you flush the engine before replacing the CPAS? Is that an ACDelco CPAS? Some dorman and other aftermarkets CPAS' s have been known to be bad out of the box or flat out dont work.

Is the Delphi I posted above an ok one or so I have to go to dealer for the acdelco. Who makes it for acdelco as I know most parts from acdelco aren't made by acdelco

nopaybob

Apr 3, 2013
CaptainXL said:

No, I took it to sears for a oil change then 3 days later I changed it myself and put in the 5w30 mobil1 extended life and changed the cpas with a new genuine GM Camshaft Position Actuator 12615873

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online