What do y'all think?

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
I've finally gotten the exterior of my Envoy more or less where I want it to be in the aesthetics department. I've debadged, deleted the roof rack, the resonator, and the rear window handle, and upgraded to the 07+ rear wiper. The side moldings have to stay. Now I face one last decision - color match the mirror caps? Let me know what you all think.

Here she is for viewing purposes :biggrin:. Still have to raise the front with the 1/2" spacers, notice it looks level but is sitting on upward sloping ground.

View attachment 32929

Attachments

• IMG_20140301_130118_292.jpg
    IMG_20140301_130118_292.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 19

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Looking good :thumbsup:

I agree 100% on painting the mirror covers. Very easy and cheap mod as long as you take your time when sanding them smooth and get the correct paint. I buy my automotive paint from these guys, Touch Up Paint and Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup. They will mix the paint based on your paint code in your glove box (Although their website might call the paint color a different name) and ship it to you in almost any container, even a rattle can. I used a rattle can from them to paint my grille and mirror covers. Make sure you get some adhesion promoter, sandable primer, and sand paper (Wet sanding type) ranging from 400 grit to 2500 grit. 400 grit will smooth out the texture on the mirror covers and 2500 grit will give a nice finish.

Lastly, as you have already mentioned, removing the side molding. Maybe once you graduate that can be a present for the Voy :rotfl:

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
CaptainKD said:
I'm a bit bias because I've already done it.....

View attachment 20351

If you do decide to do it, make sure to sand them down nice and smooth like Dmanns said.

That looks good Captain! I think you may have just made my decision for me by letting me see another silver Voy with them! :yes:

Dmanns - thanks for the compliment, its still a work in progress. (but we're never really done, are we? :rotfl: ) I just may remove the molding once I get out of Motown, but to be honest now that the ugly Envoy badges are gone I really dont mind it too much.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Envoy_04 said:
That looks good Captain! I think you may have just made my decision for me by letting me see another silver Voy with them! :yes:

Dmanns - thanks for the compliment, its still a work in progress. (but we're never really done, are we? :rotfl: ) I just may remove the molding once I get out of Motown, but to be honest now that the ugly Envoy badges are gone I really dont mind it too much.

That feeling when Chevrolet deleted the side badging after the 2004 model year, I believe. And switched to a "plain" chrome font instead of the one reminiscent of the Blazer. Feels good man. :thumbsup: :rotfl:

Envoy_04

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
IllogicTC said:
That feeling when Chevrolet deleted the side badging after the 2004 model year, I believe. And switched to a "plain" chrome font instead of the one reminiscent of the Blazer. Feels good man. :thumbsup: :rotfl:

Tell me about it! Mom's 06 Envoy has the much more attractive thin chrome molding and the nicer chrome lettering. I was tired of it making mine look bad by comparison. :rotfl:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
+1 for painting the mirror covers AND going with Automotive Touchup. I've used them for all my color matched paint. I don't have a good pic of my mirrors on the truck, cuz I always fold them in when I park, or I'd post one up too.

I went with a slightly different method to get mine smooth. Instead of sanding down the mirror covers, I used Duplicolor sandable primer to lay down a few coats, then sand that down smooth (filling in the texture) and then painting over it. I decided to paint the whole top half of the mirrors body color, not just the covers, and the bottom half gloss black.

20130831_135356_zps2701f9ae.jpg

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I liked color matched mirrors when the door frames are body color and it is lowered. Or an SS.

Looks good black. :twocents:

Personally I think they stand out like thumbs when they are body color and window frames are black. :2thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online