Weird error codes

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
gOOD MORNING,

ABOUT THREE WEEKS AGO I GET 100K, TRANY SLIP LIGHT CAME ON, 0894. CLEARED THE CODE CAME BACK ON, THEN I GOT THE GAS CAP LIGHT, REPLACED THE GAS CAP, DID A COMPLETE TRANY FLUSH ON SATURDAY, ERASED THE CODES AND THEY COME BACK.

THIS MORNING TOOK SLIGHT RIGHT TURN AND THE GAS CAP LIGHT CAME ON, ABOUT SIX MILES LATER THE LIGHT GOES OFF AND THE ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON, AND THIS SEEMS TO BE THE NORM, GAS CAP LIGHT COMES ON, GOES OUT, ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON, I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT WHAT CODE I RECEIVED TODAY AS I GOT IT ON MY WAY IN TO WORK.

ANY TIPS WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED..

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Stop yelling and see if it is the same code or a new one please.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
McGMT said:
Well at least they were on with the grammar at first... They capitalized the G in gOOD MORNING...

the error codes where:
p0455 for emission leak
p0984(digits might be reversed) transmission slip

transmission slip came in at 100,025 mile mark, I reset it. The code have come up three times, twice have been preceded by the fuel cap light and that is after the new cap.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
xj2202009 said:
the error codes where:
p0455 for emission leak

transmission slip came in at 100,025 mile mark, I reset it. The code have come up three times, twice have been preceded by the fuel cap light and that is after the new cap.

You probably have a bad vent solenoid, they get full of dirt and die, but a $30 EVAP smoke test will confirm that.

The transmission slip could be a variety of things...

- - - Updated - - -

xj2202009 said:
the error codes where:
p0455 for emission leak

You probably have a bad vent solenoid, they get full of dirt and die, but a $30 EVAP smoke test will confirm that.

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
McGMT said:

- - - Updated - - -

thank you McGMT, is cheaper to replace than to test, where is it located?
what suggestions do you have for the transmission?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
xj2202009 said:
thank you McGMT, is cheaper to replace than to test, where is it located?
what suggestions do you have for the transmission?

Well actually I am in the middle of working on my 06 for a small evap leak right now, if you are mechanically inclined it wouldn't hurt to crawl under and look for evap connections pulled off. If you don't see anything obvious you can pull your vent solenoid off and pull the cover off the foam filter to see if it is full of dirt.

The best thing to do for an EVAP leak tho is really to go get it smoke tested so you know for sure where the leak is in the system before you go replacing the vent sol, purge sol and all that. (I have a thread on the P0442 Small Leak right now, and will have an answer for where my mystery leak is hopefully by monday night.)

The tranny slip needs more info. How does it shift? Is there a hard shift 1-2? Is there a RPM flare 2-3? Do the RPM's wander around even when it is staying in a gear? ETC... Fill us in on how your tranny is operating.

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
McGMT said:
Well actually I am in the middle of working on my 06 for a small evap leak right now, if you are mechanically inclined it wouldn't hurt to crawl under and look for evap connections pulled off. If you don't see anything obvious you can pull your vent solenoid off and pull the cover off the foam filter to see if it is full of dirt.

The best thing to do for an EVAP leak tho is really to go get it smoke tested so you know for sure where the leak is in the system before you go replacing the vent sol, purge sol and all that. (I have a thread on the P0442 Small Leak right now, and will have an answer for where my mystery leak is hopefully by monday night.)

The tranny slip needs more info. How does it shift? Is there a hard shift 1-2? Is there a RPM flare 2-3? Do the RPM's wander around even when it is staying in a gear? ETC... Fill us in on how your tranny is operating.

Shift smoothly, the truck have plenty of pickup, now and then then I'll feel a little jerk and usually is followed by the lights sequence described above. I have no rpm flares even when I gun it to see if flares. It was around 9 am in sunny FL, I was doing about 85 on flat land, all of a suddenly it felt as if the truck stalled, no rpm flare, I got the fuel cap light, about ten miles later, light goes off engine light comes on code 0984. I don't know if this is related, but I can only go about 10 miles from the time the low fuel light comes out before I completely run out of gas.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
xj2202009 said:
Shift smoothly, the truck have plenty of pickup, now and then then I'll feel a little jerk and usually is followed by the lights sequence described above. I have no rpm flares even when I gun it to see if flares. It was around 9 am in sunny FL, I was doing about 85 on flat land, all of a suddenly it felt as if the truck stalled, no rpm flare, I got the fuel cap light, about ten miles later, light goes off engine light comes on code 0984. I don't know if this is related, but I can only go about 10 miles from the time the low fuel light comes out before I completely run out of gas.

So you are getting a transmission slip code with no appreciable problems with the trans?

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
McGMT said:
So you are getting a transmission slip code with no appreciable problems with the trans?

lol,

let me ask you, if tranny was truly slipping, shouldn't I be seen my rpm jumping just as when tires are slipping on ice?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
xj2202009 said:
lol,

let me ask you, if tranny was truly slipping, shouldn't I be seen my rpm jumping just as when tires are slipping on ice?

Not necessarily...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
xj2202009 said:
...as400 mainframe ...
Small world. Mrs. Roadie was an IT manager (and RPG coder) for a long time who ran many conversions and upgrades in the System/38 and AS400 universe until we moved from Boston to Oregon and discovered DEC got to Oregon before IBM and there were very few systems for her to care for and feed. Sorry for the diversion.

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Found that valve by the tank. Plenty of soil fell out of the canister and the sponge was pretty dirty. shocked it out and sprayed it with carb cleaner, now have to drive the car to see if the code comes back.

about the transmission I found this but trying to figure out what it means:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the difference between engine speed and transmission output speed. In D3 drive range with Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) engaged, the engine speed should closely match the transmission output speed. In D4 drive range, with the TCC engaged, the TCC slip speed should be -20 to +50 RPM.

Read more: OBD2 - OBDII Code P0894 CHEVROLET - Torque Converter Clutch Fluid Diagram | Engine-Codes.com

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Code:
McGMT
thank you for the tip, cleaning the filter on the purge valve seem to have cleared the gas cap error code...

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Took the truck to AAMCO"the transmission place", they ran the diagnostic tool, far more advance than what autozone or discount have, and it came back that the transmission is actually slipping. They want about $1500 to do a soft rebuild. basically they will rebuild the clutch box. What do you think?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
xj2202009 said:
Took the truck to AAMCO"the transmission place", they ran the diagnostic tool, far more advance than what autozone or discount have, and it came back that the transmission is actually slipping. They want about $1500 to do a soft rebuild. basically they will rebuild the clutch box. What do you think?

I wish places wouldn't just throw rebuilds around like this and do some actual diag.... I don't like it personally... There are some things that happen on these trannys and they are VERY common...

I would like someone to throw a line pressure guage on it, tape it to the windshield and drive it. Then watch a tech 2 to see what if the PWM for the TCC is all over the place, like a worn bore AKA fluid bypassing parts..

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
in the last week or so, the tranny is shifting hard specially between one and two. I have noticed that is not as bad at cold start. My commute to work is about twenty two highway miles. When I cold start in and get up to speed on the highway is not an issue until traffic slows down and I'm on the stop and go, that's when the hard shifting starts. What the guy at AAMCO say was that the pcm was sensing it was not in right gear due to very low pressure, so the pcm would increase the pressure on the line to force it into gear and as the truck went to gear and propelled forward that is causing the jerk that I'm feeling. his explanation was that at 100k miles the soft gears in the gear box have worn out.

McGMT I don't like it neither, $1500 for soft rebuild is pretty steep. specially when is only a $200 kit.

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
$1800 and I'm going to have a rebuild transmission. The tech is going to a different spring or something to give it more torque..

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Update,
Almost a whole year since tranny rebuild , Drove to NY and back to florida towing my 3200 lb camper and tranny is running strong.
Smoke test showed leak with the solenoid next to the tank, replaced it but did not clear the enging code. Replaced the one in the front and problem solved.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online