FEEDBACK We need an HVAC section

Should we have an HVAC section?

• Total voters

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With all the HVAC questions we've been getting hammered with lately (start of season I guess), we should have a section just for that. Because A/C is a touchy subject as far as self recharging is concerned, this would allow better control to ensure the proper info gets out. Of course we could corral all the actuator threads as well as all HVAC questions thus far.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
True that.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A few votes but no more comments? :bump: for more comments.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
I think that the idea has merit, but how do you prevent someone from doing damage to themselves or
the system, let alone violating the EPA rules?

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
It would eliminate the clutter of HVAC questions in the tech discussion section, not to mention giving people a place to start looking before posting. Not that questions are bad, I just know I try to find the info first before starting a new thread.

Reactions: Texan

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
When it comes to A/C, even with obvious warnings that you should be careful and if you're unsure either ask or leave it to a professional, people will still put their hands into it. I would figure a cursory warning about messing with the A/C specifically could help with any liabilities.

But the system as a whole is so much greater than the accumulator, compressor, evaporator and condensor (and related lines).

Reactions: JamesL3

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Texan said:
I think that the idea has merit, but how do you prevent someone from doing damage to themselves or
the system, let alone violating the EPA rules?
It's like anything else, we can't fix stupid. We can scream until we are blue in the face to properly support a vehicle on jack stands instead of using a jack or cinder blocks while working under a vehicle, people will do what they want and continue to kill themselves. But at least by putting out the right info, it will encourage them to do the right thing. I think it would be worse to not give out the proper info.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Could also do a "Something/anything wrong with your HVAC? Start here!" thread and tree off to the relevant discussions? Seems like 90% of the questions are repeats and fall into a handful of issues even when you're talking the mechanical system versus electrical.

And FWIW I see plenty of "legally questionable" advice given here :wink: ...all with the best intentions of course.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
An hvac section is probably a good idea if only to keep the same stuff from being asked over and over. But maybe that happens anyway LOL.

I know that fixing the HVAC yourself is kind of a hot topic, but to me if you can handle working with fuel related things like gas tanks lines, and pumps, you can handle AC stuff. The difference is I think you need to learn how the AC system actually works, in general terms, so that you can understand and appreciate the cautions that you need to be aware of. The high pressures of these things go over 300 psi! Then of course there is the potential of rapid release of freon being bad for things like fingers and eyes. It's kind of deceiving because you really don't think of the AC system in that way. At least I didn't at first. Fuel system you always think ok be careful, but not with the ac system until you learn about it.

In regards to the whole EPA venting thing, the best piece of advice I ever got about that was, "use your common sense".

Reactions: JamesL3

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We give advice on brakes, steering, fuel systems and so on, which are a lot more dangerous than A/C if done wrong. If we were to stop giving advice because "someone could get hurt", then all we could talk about is LED's. Hell, we wouldn't even be able to talk about radios because they could put it too loud and become deaf. We might as well shut the site down. Hell, might as well shut the internet down while we're at it. :compu-punch:

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I agree with you, I wasn't trying to say that AC is too dangerous to work on, or even dangerous to work on, it's just kind of sneaky in that you don't think about it that way, a potential to get hurt I guess that some people don't even consider. I had a grandfather, who I can't remember because I was too young, who was crushed and killed by his car while working on it. So safety for me is always a thought even today.

I've been handing out some ac advice myself when I can, it's my way to pay back somebody years ago who taught me enough about it to fix my own.

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
Thanks for the GREAT resource for the 360 platform. This is where I come when I have a question that I need a correct answer, and everyone is happy to help.
I have just spent quite a bit of time searching for info to fix my mode acctuator. I am SURE I can fix it now because All of the know how is here, just spread out among different threads. Granted, searching is NOT my strong suit,nor is spelling, that perhaps being most of my problem? I agree with the idea that a one touch EASY button would be a great addition, especially for Noobs like me. :smile: .
I don't know how much work it takes to organize all the info in one place. I imagine that it is a huge task that we ask of the moderators, who are doing a GREAT job with this site. (thanks for all the work) SO, if they run out of something to do........ I for one would welcome the addition
SirRobin

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I always questioned myself as to why we just have a massive "technical" section instead of separating into different systems. Manuals are separated that way, why not here?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Bringing this back up as we continue to get hammered with HVAC questions.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
just remember that the manual is not searching back.

I like the technical questions section.

if you split it up how about re-starting a what's new link from the top?

of course, an AC section would be fine with me too.

and always remember:

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.