WD hitch with surge brakes?

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
OK, scary discovery today while playing with the TB. It looks like my hitch/reciever shank is bent. Assuming from the weight of the trailer.

BUT, since I am looking at replacing the shank anyway, does anyone know if there is a weight distribution/sway control that works with surge brakes? I am mainly looking for sway control. On a windy day on the highway it tends to sway a bit. Not bad, but if I am replacing things anyway, I figured what the hell.

Also, my boat trailer is more of an I-beam aluminum. All the mountings I have seen are on a square tube style tongue.

I just put new surge disc brakes on it, so I am not replacing them with electric. So that is not an option.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
mnypitTBEXT said:
It looks like my hitch/reciever shank is bent. Assuming from the weight of the trailer.
Perhaps you have too much tongue weight? Too little tongue weight contributes to excessive sway in everybody's experience, and too much can unweight the tow vehicle's front suspension and cause the same. Have you made sure yours is the recommended 10-15% of trailer/cargo weight? If you haven't, then you need to get that capability even as you choose and install a WD hitch.

bigytwotone said:
this is what i have for the sway set up. this will work with all break types
What brand and model is that? I don't know if any friction-based sway controls that work with surge brakes. If there's a new one, I'm all ears.

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
the roadie said:
Perhaps you have too much tongue weight? Too little tongue weight contributes to excessive sway in everybody's experience, and too much can unweight the tow vehicle's front suspension and cause the same. Have you made sure yours is the recommended 10-15% of trailer/cargo weight? If you haven't, then you need to get that capability even as you choose and install a WD hitch.

What brand and model is that? I don't know if any friction-based sway controls that work with surge brakes. If there's a new one, I'm all ears.

My trailer weight is over the recommended weight of the hitch. I didnt realize it til I saw that it was bent. I have had it a long time, and my other boat didint weigh as much. My fault completely.

It only sways on a breezy day on the highway, at probably a higher speed than I should be going. Under normal driving conditions, there is no sway. But, then today I was driving around in similar breezy conditions WITHOUT the boat, and the TB sways even without it. So its probably not the boat, however, I wouldnt mind having something to minimize it.

bigytwotone, what brand and where did you find that set up. I may look into it. I was hoping, since the sway is only at highway speeds on breezy days, that I could find just a sway bar, and not a complete setup. Maybe something like this, but that will work with surge brakes.....................

Curt Friction Style Sway Control System Curt Weight Distribution 17200

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
Ok so the friction sway control will not work with surge breaks but there is a sc weight distribution hitch that will work for you . If you look up sc weight distribution hitch you will find one made by Reese that's what you can use that's what they told me any how.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
bigytwotone said:
Ok so the friction sway control will not work with surge breaks but there is a sc weight distribution hitch that will work for you . If you look up sc weight distribution hitch you will find one made by Reese that's what you can use that's what they told me any how.
I found a FANTASTIC tutorial on all the current technologies, and learned a lot just now by reading: Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com

I see no less than four products compatable with surge breaks. Cool! They use the WD bars as part of the friction material.

bigytwotone said:
Sorry if I was miss leading
See you in the woodshed later. :raspberry: :biggrin:

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
the roadie said:
I found a FANTASTIC tutorial on all the current technologies, and learned a lot just now by reading: Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com

I see no less than four products compatable with surge breaks. Cool! They use the WD bars as part of the friction material.

See you in the woodshed later. :raspberry: :biggrin:

Where did you find surge brake compatible units? Short of opening up each one?

Do you suppose this would work?

heavy duty trailer hitch

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
mnypitTBEXT said:
Where did you find surge brake compatible units? Short of opening up each one?
Ummmm, I read the page I linked to? About 60% of the way down - a chart labeled: What Types of Weight-Distribution Systems Are Available?
Do you suppose this would work?
No. Read my link. See the difference between the systems that work and the ones that don't.

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
the roadie said:
Ummmm, I read the page I linked to? About 60% of the way down - a chart labeled: What Types of Weight-Distribution Systems Are Available?No. Read my link. See the difference between the systems that work and the ones that don't.

I swear that when I clicked on the link, that part was cut off. It looks like pretty much anything without a sway control will work, including the one I posted on CL. Either way, they sold that one. There is another guy in Port Orange selling a Fastway E2 for $75. I am going to go look at it tomorrow. Even if it doesnt work, the hitch itself will be rated to tow my boat. My biggest concern now is whether the part that goes on the trailer will fit my tongue.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
mnypitTBEXT said:
...It looks like pretty much anything without a sway control will work, including the one I posted on CL. ...
Your first post had a requirement that it be a WD hitch with a sway control that worked with surge brakes. "I am mainly looking for sway control." That's what I answered. I wouldn't compromise now you see the good ones cost more. In the inevitable lawsuit after a personal injury accident, you don't want YOUR equipment to get discussed by technical experts from the other side. Just my (as ever) humble opinion. :wink:

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
the roadie said:
Your first post had a requirement that it be a WD hitch with a sway control that worked with surge brakes. "I am mainly looking for sway control." That's what I answered. I wouldn't compromise now you see the good ones cost more. In the inevitable lawsuit after a personal injury accident, you don't want YOUR equipment to get discussed by technical experts from the other side. Just my (as ever) humble opinion. :wink:

Well, technically and legally, I am not required to have either a sway control or a load leveling hitch. I am just looking for a replacement better than necessary. The boat weighs roughly 3500lbs dry, plus the trailer, fuel, equipment etc. So I am well under capacity. I am not really seeing anything with sway control that will really work with surge brakes, and I just put brand new brakes on the boat as the brand new drum brakes I installed at the beginning of 2012 rotted away in less than one season.

I am thinking a load leveling system like I mentioned will reduce sway. I am not over on tongue weight at all. I am almost perfect. We checked that last year. So its just a matter of getting something a little better for highway use, which is once a year for vacation. The rest of the time we store the boat at the marina we launch from, and the other place we put in is on the intercoastal and is only 20 minutes away on backroads. I am just trying to be as safe as possible, but it is not really necessary. Just peice of mind.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
What's your tongue weight? If you target 10-15%, and 15% will be better than 10% for sway reduction, you're going to be quickly over the limit for a non-WD hitch. The tow ratings (and a sticker on the hitch, IIRC) require WD above 4000 pounds.

That said, many, many folks tow boats without WD hitches, and perhaps their sway issues are different due to the weight distribution of the boat. You can also add Airlift1000 bags inside your rear coil springs to get you more back to level and it may also improve the ride dynamics. 500 pound tongue weight is pretty big without WD.

Your tire construction, inflation pressure, sidewall stiffness and load rating also play into this. It's an art. :wink:

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
the roadie said:
What's your tongue weight? If you target 10-15%, and 15% will be better than 10% for sway reduction, you're going to be quickly over the limit for a non-WD hitch. The tow ratings (and a sticker on the hitch, IIRC) require WD above 4000 pounds.

That said, many, many folks tow boats without WD hitches, and perhaps their sway issues are different due to the weight distribution of the boat. You can also add Airlift1000 bags inside your rear coil springs to get you more back to level and it may also improve the ride dynamics. 500 pound tongue weight is pretty big without WD.

Your tire construction, inflation pressure, sidewall stiffness and load rating also play into this. It's an art. :wink:

I bought one of these today for $40. Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution EQ90-00-1000 It is like new, and origionally was missing some small items, but the guy called about an hour later and found them. He even brought them up to the Tiki Bar we were hanging out at. No sway control on this unit, but I would venture to say just having this on there will eliminate the small amount I had before. I think I scored a pretty awesome deal. Now to see if it will fit on my trailer. I think I am going to have to relocate the jack to inside the tongue to make it work. Thats OK, it was on its last leg anyway.

mnypitTBEXT

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Its all installed. Moved the jack all the way back and it is 39" from the ball. Instructions say 40" is optimum, but there is no place else to put it without removing the lights. Which I will do if it hits on turns or whatever. I had to relocate the spare to behind the winch post. I like it there better anyway. Sits up high and is shaded by the boat, so the dry rott from the FL sun will be slower. I was missing 2 pins that I didnt realize til I started installing it all, so I ordered them. Cost me like $8. So in a week they should be here. I will report how it handles at that time.

During the measuring phase of the install, I only measured a 1" drop with the trailer hooked up. I knew it wasnt dropping much. The tongue weight is at like 11% of total weight, according to the trailer place. Measured it when I got the boat, when they replaced the drum brakes. Of course that was dry, very little fuel and no stuff in the boat. I would venture to say it is pretty balanced though.

Incidently, everyone on the boat forums said there is no need for a WD hitch. I dont care, because for less than $50 and an hour of setup, I am now safe.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online