Water Pump Replacement - do the fan clutch at the same time?

joe mama

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Delco Water pump and metal gasket are on the way and should arrive tomorrow. Should I also replace the fan clutch while I have everything taken apart? It's on the original fan clutch (and water pump) with 11 years and 126,000 miles. Fan is always on at startup, but when you rev it up to 2500 it always disengages. It does seem to engage a lot in stop and go traffic, especially when the humidity is higher outside.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
It can be preventative maintenance. I waited until mine threw a CEL code. Replaced it with the "old" part number and all is well now. Might as well do the thermostat and ECT sensor while you're in there. :twocents:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you see warning signs might not be bad since you have to remove all that stuff to replace your pump anyway.

I'm still running my original pump and clutch at 204k miles. My clutch has thrown a code a couple times and it spins way too freely at times, but I'm not dealing with it unless it actually becomes an issue lol. I don't know how much longer I'll have this truck anyway due to age/miles/rust.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Only if you see or hear of signs of problems. If the clutch went out I would do the pump.

Sparky said:
I don't know how much longer I'll have this truck anyway due to rust.
Fixed it for you Sparky.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
If you're not having issues, let it be, unless you have the cash to spend.... the Ect and thermo, I would wait, until either it's warmout or you get a CEL.... it's a PITA replacing those two....

Reactions: djthumper

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
Only if you see or hear of signs of problems. If the clutch went out I would do the pump.

Fixed it for you Sparky.
Ha Ha :raspberry:

In my mind while it is running perfectly it could be on borrowed time for all I know given the mileage.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could test it. Check for the link in my sig below.

bspurloc

Dec 27, 2012
From what I have read in here...
the new one is going to be flakey, that is why when mine went I converted to electric instead.
so much more room! you can change the water pump in minutes, I was able to fix the ac bearing too!
of course electric is all the fad now and cost way more now

joe mama

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
UPDATE>>>>>
New water pump is installed, and the coolant leak appears to have stopped. I left the old fan clutch on as it still engages and disengages like it should.

One leftover issue is that the serpentine belt is still squealing a bit. I'm guessing that it is still wet with DexCool, and that it should eventually dry off(?). Any advice on why else the belt is squealing and how to make it stop? Belt is about 3 years old.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Might be one of the idlers' bearings starting to go. Take the belt off and spin each idler as well as the A/C pulley. A new belt isn't that expensive and would eliminate that possibility.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online