Voltmeter showing very low voltage at start-up

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Got an weird problem that I noticed a month or so ago. '02 Envoy SLT. Had -20C temps for about a week and had to start my truck after hooking the charger up because all I got was about 3 cranks of the engine then just a click.
So, I installed another battery, 6 months old but with top posts, I bought a set of adaptor cables and this worked good for about 5 days then was running dead overnight at -5C temp. So I fully charged my original battery (Everready 5 years old) and the truck has been starting great ever since... with one exception. On a cold morning or night I start the truck and the volt meter sits at the mark between 9 and 14 volts, lights are dim and DIC is not running through it's checks. After about 8 to 10 seconds the volt meter goes directly to just over 14V and the lights brighten and the DIC tells me to check my brakes (another issue. I have pulled the fuse for ABS because of sensor problems).

It only does this in below freezing weather (or so I've noticed) and after the pause everything is normal... Any ideas on what to look for?

Thank you

Glenn

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yup, normal. Mine did that all the time in the winter too.

Reactions: Blackstar

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Hmm, I honestly never noticed this behavior on our 02 Envoy. Voltage went right up to where it should be within a few seconds. Obviously it's normal to gradually go up vs going instantly to 14+

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You obviously do not see below freezing temps very often because that's when it happens. Odd thing though is that it doesn't do it on V8 trucks, just the I6.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Thanks guys. I thought my alternator was going bad...
if you have the "voltage control module" at the negative cable (ie. little black block), disconnect the plug going to the module. Check the start sequence again (ie. cold weather start / voltage level). If the same thing still happens, you have some form of alternator / connection issue. If the voltage goes to 13.2 "pretty quickly", that's how it supposed to respond and it might indicate an issue with the controller.

Reactions: Blackstar

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mine does this as well, quite normal like everyone was saying. The gauge reading should be buffered from the actual voltage a tad... so the lights get brighter and then a second later the voltage climbs. :tiphat:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online