Vibration from front end when coasting

shortman1166

Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
I have a noise and minor vibration coming from the front end, sounds like the differential area. I have replaced both front wheel hub bearings and it has helped some but the main vibration and noise is still there. I replaced both cv axles cause they were bad as well and had a leaking driver side diff seal that I replaced as well but did not replace the bearings. Its not bad but its loud enough you notice it and feel a vibration in the gas pedal. It only makes the noise when coasting down from any speed between 80-40 and as soon as you hit the gas it goes away again. Could it be the bearings in the differential? There is some "in and out play in the drivers side cv axle but not much, maybe a 1/4" at most. I really don't want to keep replacing parts that I don't have to if someone knows or has had the same problem. Any help is much appreciated!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Could be bad differential gears also. Have you checked the level? Refilled it?

Also suspect the transfer case. Have you changed fluid every 50K as required?

shortman1166

Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
I have not checked the transfer case yet but the fluid was changed around 50,000 miles. I have changed the oil in the differential about 5,000 miles ago so that should still be ok as I have not seen any leaks. I will look at the transfer case and how do you know if the gears are bad in the differential? Chewed up and metal shavings in the oil??

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online