vibration at idle and po455

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
ok guys i just bought a 2005 buick rainier cxl rwd 4.2l
ok first thing was the ebcm went out-fixed
speedometer went out-fixed
and now im here ok yesterday it threw a po455 code for gross evap leak
today my wife comes home and says it died at a red light on her but fired right back up -taking any ideas
and as far as the vibration go's its done that since i got it 3 wks ago and only does it between 600-1200rpms then smoothes out over 1200 - taking any ideas

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! Check out the Youtube videos by member MAY03LT for how to clean your throttle body, which is the probable cause of the intermittent stalling.

You didn't share how many miles, but if it's over 100K, you owe it all fluids (unless you got trustworthy maintenance records with the purchase) plus plugs. Use only Delco 41-103 in the I6 engine. Vibration could be plugs or even the motor mounts, depending on the exact symptoms and if it also happens when you're standing still but in DRIVE, not PARK.

Gross evap leak can be anything from a bad purge or vent solenoid to a bad hose to a loose or cracked gas cap. Best way to troubleshoot it is to find an independent GM-experienced shop with a GM Tech II scan tool or equivalent Snap-on or other high end brand. Specifically ask them if they can run bidirectional tests of the evap system.

Reactions: IllogicTC

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
OK well i cleaned the throttle body and reset the comp bye unhooking the batt for a lil over 1hr today and man that thing looks new it wasn't really that bad tho to begin with and replaced the fuel cap with a new one and i still have the vibration at low rpm and the vibration is all the time thing doesn't matter if in P R N D it vibrates the whole car and to be more clear the truck has 145k miles and has all the maintenance records from the dealership from the time it was purchased new so i'm kinda lost as far as what to do next :undecided: only thing i can think is to take it to the dealer and have a smoke test done on the evap system for leaks but i know i'm going to get raped lol and it still stalled twice while i was driving it after i got it all back together drove it for about an hr to let it relearn parameters

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Changed ALL fluids. Trans, diff, power steering, and flush brakes clean. All new belts, plugs and checked steering hoses for leaks. U-joints, Ball joints, tie rod ends all lubed brake rotor and pads checked and replaced. All was done at 96k miles

Reactions: Mounce

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
And as far as a good mechanic I have trust issues lol can't trust no one not even the gm techs at the dealers

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
the dealer do the plugs?
a lot of people have doubts about fuel treatments, but I would add a bottle of Techron fuel treatment to 12-15 gallons of fuel... the next thing would probably be a compression test...

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Says on the ticket they did but you know

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
But I'll try that wed on my day off thank for everything and I'll let you know

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
that 600-1200 vibration though... my.thinking is if a symptom is reserved to a certain RPM range it has to do with the Transmission... first get that SES light to go out, then proceed with the vibration... you sure it can't be the motor mounts?

Reactions: triz

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
No I'm not it's my wife's car bought it 3 wks ago and it has done it since we got it is there a easy way to check the motor and Trans mounts

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
the motor mounts, you can feel a change when you shift from drive to neutral....you can also see the engine move a bit when cranking...

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Ok I'll check that today on my lunch

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
ok looked at the engine while cranking and didnt see any movement out of the ordinary and dont feel much going from drive to neutral other then the vibration is a lil worse in Neutral

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
ok well im dropping it off at the dealership tomorrow and i will let everyone know what the issue is/was

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
well picked it up from service today and the po455 was the purge solenoid and across she purred like a kitten with no vibration when they had it and started a few miles down the road so i turned around and went back and they said it was no more then expected and all mounts looked fine so im back to square one with the vibration issue but the po455 is fixed so i guess ill be doing plugs soon even tho there's no mis but i find it hard to believe that they sold new with a vibration in the entire car in all gears and it gets worse when a\c comp cuts on and again suggestion are always welcome

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
it's going to be your passenger side motor mount...in order to inspect it, they must remove it...heat shield blocks it...2005, just replace them both....

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
ok scale of 1-10 how much of a pain is it and wheres a good place to order them from? :undecided:

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
bear 601 said:
ok scale of 1-10 how much of a pain is it and wheres a good place to order them from? :undecided:
I take it, they're the same as the trailblazer, if that's the case ebay...but from a seller that's a chevy dealer, lowest I've seen them go has been for $66.00 a piece.... difficulty, probably a 7 or so.... I ended up losening the engine brackets which made it easier...took me about 4 hours....

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
This was my passenger side mount, ...everytime the AC cycled on, it made a racket inside the cabin...... car felt rough when firing it up...
uploadfromtaptalk1407548591274.jpg

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Ok cool well I'm guess there the same per side so I can just order two of them

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I agree on the need for OEM ONLY mounts.The I6 vibration is exactly 10 Hz at 600 RPM idle, and you can easily see it on the plastic of the intake manifold housing vibrating to a blur, at least 1/4" amplitude and sometimes 1/2". Put a pen up to it and you can hear a 10 Hz buzzing.

Bear, can you describe your specific vibration with a bit more detail? Can you see it in the engine rotating with a blurry appearance to the extremities? Or is it something that changes the RPM up and down less than once a second?

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
OK well blazer ordered my mounts and to describe it better when running you can feel vibrations in the steering wheel and in the seats rpm doesn't change it except for when it revs past 1200-1300rpms then stops i don't see any shaking when cranking or turning it off motor doesn't appear to be shaking and blazer i also ordered trans mount as well

bear 601

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
one more question is there anyway a bad cat could cause my vibration cause i have noticed a funky gas smell when its running

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dexter7*7

Members Online